NEWBIE Q: Should I be looking to overclock as a rule?

Associate
I have just bought my son a new PC. I worked out the spec from some other PC's on sale and had a local shop build it for me. I wish I knew how to do this but that is another issue altogether. The spec is included at the bottom of this post. I thought it would be an all singing all dancing machine but my son was a little disappointed at it performance on "Rust" which I am guessing is a hungry game. I have looked through all sorts of overclocking forums and to be honest, most it is was beyond me. However, am I doing my son a disservice by not looking at fully overclocking the system?
Spec:
Intel Core i7 9700K 3.6GHz Octa-core
16GB DDR4 3200MHz Patriot Viper
Gigabyte AORUS RTX 2070 8GB
Motherboard - Gigabyte B360 1151 ATX
PSU - Cronus 800W 80 PLUS Bronze
HDD + SSD

Soldato
However, am I doing my son a disservice by not looking at fully overclocking the system?
No, the 'local shop' did you a disservice buy coupling an expensive 9700K with a B360 motherboard and generic PSU.

As for Rust - it may be poorly optimised, is it early access like most games? (will look later when not rushed - if someone else hasn't answered.)

How do other games run?

Soldato
If you have a look on YouTube there will be various guides. Watch a few to get the general idea. The key things to watch out for are temps and power / voltage being too high as this can damage your CPU. My CPU is overclocked to just before it needs much more power to go faster which brings much higher temperatures. It’s base clock is 3.0Ghz and I run it at 3.7Ghz. Your CPU would be expected to go a fair bit higher than this overclocked.

Soldato
If you have a look on YouTube there will be various guides. Watch a few to get the general idea. The key things to watch out for are temps and power / voltage being too high as this can damage your CPU. My CPU is overclocked to just before it needs much more power to go faster which brings much higher temperatures. It’s base clock is 3.0Ghz and I run it at 3.7Ghz. Your CPU would be expected to go a fair bit higher than this overclocked.
He's got a B360 - he doesn't have the ability to overclock.

Man of Honour
Hi and welcome to the forums. :)

Unfortunately as Plec says, you have a expensive 9700k in a B360 motherboard meaning that although the 9700k is a unlocked cpu you cannot overclock it because you need a Z370/Z390 motherboard to be able to overclock. Coupled to that the psu is rubbish and I wouldn't want to overclock anything on such a low quality psu. Another thing is the B360 motherboards have a max memory speed of 2666mhz so unless some miracle is going on there your 3200mhz memory is wasted. Again, this is due to the poor choice of motherboard. Your local pc shop has stitched you up good and proper.

Soldato
There should be no way that system performs disappointingly in Rust. A colleague of mine is a heavy Rust player and he gets fantastic performance with a stock 6700K, 16Gb and a GTX1070.

Soldato
i would change that PSU ASAP... heres some customer reviews i pinched from the interweb

EXTEMELY POOR QUALITY ITEM.. STAY AWAY FROM EVO LABS. I had it a month and it burnt out, wasn't over powered or over used. just a poor item. Purchased a new Corsair which I hope lasts longer.

It fried my cpu, motherboard and itself within 3 months of use

Terrible, don't even bother. Replaced my 500w corsair with one if these and blew within a day. Have since put back in my old power supply and system working fine again. I'm not even trying to power 2 graphics cards which this is supposed to allow for. Thank goodness the surge protection must have done its job at least as It never fried anything else

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the comments. It has left me a bit ****** off and penning an email! Could you suggest a good but reasonably priced PSU? I will try to get the motherboard upgraded too to a Z370 as suggested.
I am looking maybe at Gigabyte Aorus Z370 and a Corsair RM750x. Does that sound a bit better? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Last edited:
Soldato
You want a Z390 for that CPU. There are some Z370 boards that can run the CPU but most motherboard manufacturers upgraded their VRM cooling on Z390 for Intel 9th Gen CPUs. RM750x is ok.. But.. I REALLY REALLY hate the way they put a huge, stiff.. (oooh errr) bit of heatshrink to hold the braiding in position. It really does make the cables very un-manageable and difficult to make neat and tidy.

Man of Honour
I worked out the spec from some other PC's on sale and had a local shop build it for me.
Thanks for all the comments. It has left me a bit ****** off and penning an email!
just spotted this.

if you asked for the specific spec, then i'd say it's your fault.
but if you just asked for a 9700k build and a budget in mind, then the shop should've known better.
how much was the budget? £1000?

Associate
OP
I specified the big ticket items like processor and graphics card and amount and type of RAM, plus the fact that I wanted an SSD and an HDD. Beyond that I didn't really think about the motherboard and the PSU. £1000? Jokes on me then at £1600!! Plus another £250 now I guess to get it up to spec... On top of the Hyperx keyboard and headphones and the ACER predator monitor...

Soldato
Using bottom of quality barrel motherboard, PSU, cooling etc is standard way to get fatter profit margins on prebuilts from people who buy without studying what they're buying.
Suspect also SSD and HDD capacities are pretty small to get that check box into add.
Unless needing slow mass storage for something like videos or having huge game library, £1600 gaming PC should be pretty much SSD only with the cost of ~1TB SSD being little over £100.

Man of Honour
I specified the big ticket items like processor and graphics card and amount and type of RAM, plus the fact that I wanted an SSD and an HDD. Beyond that I didn't really think about the motherboard and the PSU. £1000? Jokes on me then at £1600!! Plus another £250 now I guess to get it up to spec... On top of the Hyperx keyboard and headphones and the ACER predator monitor...
yeah mate, unfortunately i'd say you were conned.

Associate
OP
The spec is at the top of the thread. I am not so much feeling aggrieved at being ripped off as like you say, some of the bits were quite costly. I am, however, unhappy that the obvious shortfalls of some of the components wasn't highlighted - surely it is wrong to build a PC for someone that can't support the spec of the best components. In that regard, as a newbie, I do feel ripped off as this is gonna be a pain to resolve! I can't thank you all enough for your advice on this forum.

Associate
The spec is at the top of the thread. I am not so much feeling aggrieved at being ripped off as like you say, some of the bits were quite costly. I am, however, unhappy that the obvious shortfalls of some of the components wasn't highlighted - surely it is wrong to build a PC for someone that can't support the spec of the best components. In that regard, as a newbie, I do feel ripped off as this is gonna be a pain to resolve! I can't thank you all enough for your advice on this forum.
Do you know what cooler is fitted as the 9700k does not come with a cooler? Don't really need to overclock that CPU to be honest tho

Back
Top Bottom