Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

Soldato
Interesting! What is it in the new one that can offer improved video acceleration? It’s just the client watching videos from another server.

Very tempted to upgrade...

The GPU has been updated to newer hardware plus the "CPU" is 3x faster than whats on the Pi3.

Though it might take a little bit of time for software to run kinkfree and at it's full protential on the new hardware.

Soldato
H265 hardware decoding made it an instant buy for me.

Worthy update to my Pi2 running OSMC as a media centre.

The OSMC devs are stating don't get your hopes up as 4K and HDR support wont be coming until Kodi v19 (Matrix) which is 2020/21 at the earliest. Kodi have made the decision to remove proprietary hardware decoding interfaces so they are going to have to develop acceleration via GBM/V4L2, all this will also need the changes that will come with Linux Kernel 5.2 and at the moment the Pi 4 is only supported on kernel 4.19.

They've said for a while all decoding will be software with the slim possibility of backporting some 4K SDR support if feasable.

Soldato
The OSMC devs are stating don't get your hopes up as 4K and HDR support wont be coming until Kodi v19 (Matrix) which is 2020/21 at the earliest. Kodi have made the decision to remove proprietary hardware decoding interfaces so they are going to have to develop acceleration via GBM/V4L2, all this will also need the changes that will come with Linux Kernel 5.2 and at the moment the Pi 4 is only supported on kernel 4.19.

They've said for a while all decoding will be software with the slim possibility of backporting some 4K SDR support if feasable.

Cheers for that. I won't be needing 4K or HDR support at the moment so even HD h265 support / enough grunt for software decoding will be good.

Associate
Mine has arrived and this is definitely going to need some cooling if I mount it outside because the CPU is sitting at 59°C while it’s just idle on the desk in my shack.

Is it much faster though? I've not seen any real world benchmarks yet.

Is it worth the upgrade over the 3? I've got one in the checkout but for Pi + new case it's £65.......Worth it?

Commissario
Nah, I expect there will be a Geeekpi combined HSF about before too long, I'll wait for one of those.

Is it much faster though? I've not seen any real world benchmarks yet.

Is it worth the upgrade over the 3? I've got one in the checkout but for Pi + new case it's £65.......Worth it?
It will be for me, not specifically for the faster CPU but for the better USB handling and the USB3 ports. It'll have an Airspy mini attached to it and early reports are that I'll be able to up the sample rate from 12MHz to 20MHz with no dropouts. That's a massive improvement.

Soldato
Potentially a silly question, the new Raspberry Pi 4 can do up to 4k. Presumably it can do other resolutions too right? Such as Ultrawide 3440x1440?
Pondering over getting one as a spare desktop machine that I can use when my pc isn't connected up, act as a media player plus general tinkering.

Back
Top Bottom