• iPhone XS Max - 512Gb

Votes: 11 2.3%
  • iPhone XR - 64Gb

Votes: 27 5.7%
  • iPhone XR - 128Gb

Votes: 32 6.8%
  • iPhone XR - 512Gb

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Too expensive,, I won't be getting one.

Votes: 107 22.7%
  • Not interested, I won't be getting one.

Votes: 122 25.8%

• Total voters
Soldato
London is congested on 4G IME.
Definitely agree. Today has been really bad. 5g is needed to increase the bandwidth. Competitors are pushing 5g to market their phones. There is going to be lots on the news about 5g. It is going to hurt iPhone sales without this tech.

Samsung are already ahead of the game. From today..

Soldato
Same with EE most of the time.

I doubt 5G will fix it unless they deploy antennas inside the station, getting a high frequency signal through all that steal will be challenging.

Man of Honour
I couldn't get any bandwidth at all despite decent signal at Kings Cross on 3. Do other networks fare better?
Yes, 3 are terrible, the worst of the 4 networks where congestion is concerned. Never again. I've been with all 4 and it's a tie between Vodafone and EE for me.

Caporegime
Yes, 3 are terrible, the worst of the 4 networks where congestion is concerned. Never again. I've been with all 4 and it's a tie between Vodafone and EE for me.

Never had an issue with 3 outside of London, where I go about once a decade, so i can live with it. I travel a lot and the roaming on 3 is well worth it for me.

Just found it strange to have 4G signal but no service.

Man of Honour
I found the roaming on 3 terrible. NYC, Spain, Germany, Belgium etc all showing 3G or 4G and yet near enough dial up speeds. Switched to EE and it was in a different league, same with Vodafone.

Man of Honour
This was about 4 years ago, perhaps things have changed. I couldn’t even download emails in NYC etc. Yet I supposedly had decent reception.

Soldato
I've just switched from Three to EE (well, In December) and in the trip I did to Italy it fared much better than Three ever did. Going to London this weekend so will be interesting to see how EE cope with it there.

Loving the FaceID speed with iOS13. It's super quick. Not necessarily an iOS 13 improvement but I noticed you can have a haptic feedback when it unlocks. Never noticed it before but a nice change. The swipe keyboard works nicely enough. Quite a few QOL changes and it's working nicely on the 10.5 iPad too

Soldato
Can anyone recommend any of the many different 3 in 1 stands out there?

Just got my dad the AirPods so looking for a nightstand type thing he can just put his iPhone, AirPods and Apple Watch s4 on to charge overnight.

Seems you can get ones that are wireless or just ones you thread the cables through to make it a bit neater. E.g. Bestand 3 in 1 Apple Apple Watch Stand, Airpods Charger Dock, Phone Desktop Tablet Holder

Man of Honour
Is it a common thing that the loud speakers get quieter with age? I've had my X since launch and the speakers are a lot quieter than my mates S9 (or 10, not sure of the exact model).

Man of Honour
So, got the XR when it came out. Now however many months we are down the line.... ****ing love it. Best phone I’ve ever had. Camera is amazing and it has the battery of the gods!!!

Man of Honour
Anyone know if the new 'R' will have that triple camera monstrosity on it? If not I might either keep my X for another year (can you extent Apple Care +?) or try an S10 or similar out.

Associate
Anyone know if the new 'R' will have that triple camera monstrosity on it? If not I might either keep my X for another year (can you extent Apple Care +?) or try an S10 or similar out.
XR will have a dual camera, but yes it has the same camera design as the rest of the line up.

Soldato
I think you missed the point I was making and 3 of the points have no baring on what is happening in South Korea.

1) It will be a premium service in the UK and far more expensive than 4G.

EE, Voda etc. will price gouge you for early 5G, history tells us this is exactly what will happen. They still do it on 4G now (see EE essentials VS EE Max). Coverage will be poor for the first 18 months while they build out the network, again that is a fact.

2) Network speed isn't generally what dictates the overall speed something loads.

You will not see significant real world speed improvements on 5G vs good 4G on a 2019 phone because its still constrained by a low power SOC. There is already enough bandwidth to download a web page in a fraction of a second on 4G, it's the rendering on the phone which takes the time. Sure you'll see big numbers on speed tests but they are not real world.

For example going from 40mbps to 80mbps on FTTC doesn't make a noticeable difference to web browsing speed even though there is twice the bandwidth. It makes a noticeable difference when someone is streaming 4k, 2 people browsing and someone playing games but that isn't a use case you see on a phone.

3) Frist gen 5G phones will have less battery life because they need a discrete 5G modem and antenna modules on top of the existing 4G modem built into the SOC and standard antenna for cellular, wifi and bluetooth. The modems are physically as big as a Snap Dragon 855. So more components, more power usage and less space for batteries (or a bigger phone). Either way I am correct in saying the battery life will be less on a first gen 5G phone, its just history repeating its self over again with 3G and 4G.

Source:
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/12/dont-buy-a-5g-smartphone-at-least-not-for-a-while/

4) Coverage IN THE UK will be poor for at least 18 months while they upgrade thousands of towers and upgrade the back haul. Due to the frequencies 5G uses coverage indoors will be poor. Most phones will still spend most of their time on 4G.

Speed for mobile phones is not 5G's biggest advantage, its capacity on the airwaves. 5G has much wider applications such as a fixed line alternative when you can stick a big antenna on it and a powerful modem/router that can handle gigabit speeds.

None of this will prevent it being marketed to the hilt, and neither will any of it deter 90% of people from buying the 5G contracts and phones.

Soldato
I've disliked every camera since the 6 if I am being honest. I hated the camera bumps. The new triple camera doesn't look much nicer.
Can't work out if I am going to upgrade to the 11 (Of course I will) as I am very happy with my XS Max.

Started getting notifications about how apps are tracking you in the background. Considering I haven't used KLM in months I'm surprised how much it requests my location.
Vg4d.jpg

Back
Top Bottom