• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Will you buy a RX 5700 Or RX 5700 XT?

Associate
5700/xt with a AM4 X570 chipset both running PCIe gen 4 would beat the equivalent PCIe gen 3 offerings from Nvidia ? The benchmarks going around the internet they have to be a PCIe gen 4 AMD card on a PCIe gen 3 mobo. I need a new build and am thinking maybe around black Friday, but I need a GFX card now as my 970 isn't cutting it with VR and don't want to stick with Nvidia if the whole AMD gpu, mobo, cpu package is going to give me better FPS than a Nvidia card with the AMD CPU mobo

Permabanned
5700/xt with a AM4 X570 chipset both running PCIe gen 4 would beat the equivalent PCIe gen 3 offerings from Nvidia ? The benchmarks going around the internet they have to be a PCIe gen 4 AMD card on a PCIe gen 3 mobo. I need a new build and am thinking maybe around black Friday, but I need a GFX card now as my 970 isn't cutting it with VR and don't want to stick with Nvidia if the whole AMD gpu, mobo, cpu package is going to give me better FPS than a Nvidia card with the AMD CPU mobo
PCIE 4.0 will give you whole 0.5fps MAYBE. Pcie 4.0 will give gains with pcie 4.0 NVME drives gpus ?? Single GPU configs atm are at around 60% of useage of pcie 3.0 x16 :D from tests 2080ti is first card that maxed out PCIE 3.0 x8 heheehe

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-pci-express-scaling/6.html

Man of Honour
PCIE 4.0 will be useful in Crossfire and SLI. But they seem to be increasingly sidelined so not a huge reason to upgrade.

Caporegime
I agree, but it just highlights the fact that Nvidia, love them or hate them, are giving more bang for buck. They beat these AMD cards handily on price, performance and features. That's before efficiency is even factored in (12nm using less power than a 7nm card, despite being able to do more).

If they are anything like Vega, they will get seemingly better over time with undervolt and overclocks, but really that performance should be there on day one.

They do have that image sharpening thing, that at least looks like something that enhances the game image quality, low latency thing, dunno, looks like a gimmick.

Permabanned
PCIE 4.0 will be useful in Crossfire and SLI. But they seem to be increasingly sidelined so not a huge reason to upgrade.
Ye will be interesting to see if it gives ANY gains in SLI...
pcie-benchmark-timespy-extreme.png

TimeSpy Extreme is an extremely useful synthetic tool for this type of benchmark, and also runs memory hard for the GPUs. We ran TimeSpy extreme 5 times each on these cards, fully automated, and found a difference of 0.19% between x8/x8 and x16/x16 for GFX test 1, which is geometrically intensive. This is way within margin of test variance for 3DMark, and produces zero loss of performance between x8/x8 and x16/x16. Part of this is likely because of NVLink’s additional bandwidth, reducing reliance on the PCIe bus.

Associate
They do have that image sharpening thing, that at least looks like something that enhances the game image quality, low latency thing, dunno, looks like a gimmick.

Nvidia has that too though mate. If you have GeForce experience installed, go into a game, press ALT+F3 and add the 'details' filter and you can increase image sharpening and clarity without much hit to performance, but a HUGE increase in visual quality.

Soldato
If the 5700XT was about £350 then it would be a worthwhile contender, but seeing as it's priced marginally below a 2070 Super which out performs it considerably for £25 more, plus has an infinitely better cooling solution and less power draw despite being on a bigger node... well, it renders these cards as pointless and overpriced. That's before we even talk about features like DLSS and RTX (okay, they are worthless to most, but it still has these).
Somehow I got a feeling the 2070S would end up at around £499 or higher in price in reality (Nvidia cards ALWAYS end-up being more expensive that the price it's quoted). The $499 for 1080 that Nvidia quoted end-up being averaging £580~£630 when launched in UK; the only 1080 that was available at the lowest price at £530 was the god awful quality infamous Joker card with a cheap plastic blower cooler and a shroud.

Until they are actually available on the shelves, one should reserve their judgement until then.

Edit: Gibbo just confirmed that the 2070S price would be starting FROM £475, so any card with decent customer cooler rather than cheap blower cooler will likely to be in the region of £499~£550+. So much for "replacing the 2070 at 2070's price".

Last edited:
Caporegime
Somehow I got a feeling the 2070S would end up at around £499 or higher in price in reality (Nvidia cards ALWAYS end-up being more expensive that the price it's quoted). The $499 for 1080 that Nvidia quoted end-up being averaging £580~£630 when launched in UK; the only 1080 that was available at the lowest price at £530 was the god awful quality infamous Joker card with a cheap plastic blower cooler and a shroud.

Until they are actually available on the shelves, one should reserve their judgement until then.

Edit: Gibbo just confirmed that the 2070S price would be starting FROM £475, so any card with decent customer cooler rather than cheap blower cooler will likely to be in the region of £499~£530+.

This is Nvidia we're talking about.
The reviews that were done were the "basic" £475 model.

So that cooler set up isn't crap.

Associate
If the 2080 super stays at £669 and can be a good 25% faster than the 1080 Ti given the current situation with GPU's I don't think it's horrific. Could be better could be worse

Soldato
This is Nvidia we're talking about.
The reviews that were done were the "basic" £475 model. So that cooler set up isn't crap.
If I can buy a 2070s FE for £475 I'll be excited.
I'm talking about what's actually available from retailers in general though; if people can actually get the FE for £475 then yea. But Nvidia store never seem to have stock for the cards they are selling?

OcUK Staff
If I can buy a 2070s FE for £475 I'll be excited.

I think the 5700XT anniversary looks quality too. But loltastic price

NVIDIA FE and Basic dual fan cards from AIB's will be £475-£500, more high-end cards on 2070 SUPER like Aorus and Strix for example be £500-£600.

Soldato
NVIDIA FE and Basic dual fan cards from AIB's will be £475-£500, more high-end cards on 2070 SUPER like Aorus and Strix for example be £500-£600.

Does this mean that Nvidia no longer see the Founders card as a premium product and back to being a reference design. The 2070 non Super was an OC card and came with $100 premium on top of the $500 rrp. Hopefully this is Nvidia seeing some sense for the future.

Back
Top Bottom