*** The Official iOS 13 Thread ***

Soldato
I'm really concerned about the potential removal of force touch on the newer models. I use it daily to select, highlight and edit text with a single digit using various pressure levels.

I fear if they remove it they're going to totally shaft those of use that actually use our smartphones as productivity mobile computing devices and knock us back a few years compared to laptops and desktops, which is weird seeing as so many of the iOS13 updates seem aimed as making iOS a much more capable overall computing platform :(

If they ditch force touch after ditching mag safe it will feel like they're dead set on completely tossing out the window some of the best innovations Apple ever made.

Isn't it becoming long press though? I just tried out what you said you with txt....iv never used it before or known what it is.....it's confusing and I messed up selecting a txt sample......and iv never used it before, likely why their removing it 99% are unaware

Soldato
I agree it takes a bit of getting used to. It does require practice to gain the dexterity to use it well. But one you are able to use it well, it’s an absolute game changer for writing forum posts, notes, emails, text messages. Any sentences or blocks of text on a phone that may require editing and shifting words or moving sentences around. It’s one of the best productivity features on the device.

I’m not sure how they’ll translate the variable pressure settings a single finger can pull off with force touch over to long press without forcing the process to take longer and become more cumbersome by requiring an extra hand to complete the operation.

I guess it could work fine, but it means you’d have to select the words directly. With force touch you can do it all directly from the keyboard area like a trackpad, which feels much more ergonomic than reaching for and covering the content with your fingers.

The fact you didn’t even know it existed highlights the massive discoverability problem still present in iOS. iOS is getting really feature rich now, especially with iPad os. The Tips app is ***** though, and doesn’t cover half the stuff you can do.

Removing it because it’s got a slightly steeper learning curve than the alternatives in order to dumb it down for the majority is like saying we shouldn’t have introduced a qwerty keyboard at the time because it makes no sense for new users that the layout isn’t in alphabetical order so it’s hard for new users to find the keys, even though once your proficient with it, it’s a far superior system.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Overall this beta is turning out to be terrible for me. There are just loads of little niggles like screen recording bugs, video playback bugs, bugs in apps that require Touch ID. I do love the new finger slide keyboard though.

Soldato
I’m not enjoying it. I’m used to android previews being stable but this is messy for my liking. FaceID very inconsistent and some bugs are difficult to reproduce via screen recording in order to add it to the feedback app.

Soldato
Upgraded my iPad Pro but think I’m going to have to revert. BBC Science Focus Mag app isn’t working properly. One of my favourite magazines to read in bed. Annoying but an update for whatever the problem is could be weeks away.

Caporegime
This is nuts. My little floating keyboard has got stuck in the bottom left corner of my iPad screen with absolutely no way to recover it. The little handle you use to move it around is completely obscured!

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Any idea when the full version is set for release?

I have an ipad mini 4 and a iphone 7 plus. Iphone will definitely get upgraded, but the ipad im not sure if its worth it. Would it even be able to have all the benefits of ipadOS? I really want the smaller iPad pro, but they are just far too expensive tbh

Soldato
Any idea when the full version is set for release?

I have an ipad mini 4 and a iphone 7 plus. Iphone will definitely get upgraded, but the ipad im not sure if its worth it. Would it even be able to have all the benefits of ipadOS? I really want the smaller iPad pro, but they are just far too expensive tbh
September.

Back
Top Bottom