• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
Are people not getting their new Ryzen parts delivered today?
Doubt it. It's a bit concerning that even OcUK doesn't list the CPUs as in stock yet. I really need mine delivered tomorrow if I'm going to get any time this week to use it, which means it needs to be shipped today...

Permabanned
TechPowerUp are widely considered a bad joke on CPUs and GPUs.

The only thing they do that's really respectable is their PSU testing - which is open, transparent, repeatable, exhaustive & impartial.
I notice that Gamernexus is using 4x8GB ram kits at 3200Mhz and Techpowerup using 2x8GB, @8 Pack said use 2 sticks on the gigabyte master as 4 gimps performance......

Soldato
Not sure if it's been posted, but here's a good read from The Stilt on review results and his own more technical review: https://www.overclock.net/forum/10-amd-cpus/1728758-strictly-technical-matisse-not-really.html

Regarding review differences where the motherboard was an ASUS Crosshair VIII:

The Stilt said:
AMD supplied four different motherboards to the media, one from ASRock, ASUS, GIGABYTE and MSI. In case of the ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi motherboard, the media was instructed to use 0066 bios build, which had been vetted and approved by AMD. However, newer bios builds were available and ASUS has also (allegedly) told the media to use those versions. What exactly has transpired here is still under investigation, but regardless of the actual reasons behind it, the consequences might be rather significant. In practical terms, all reviews which were done on ASUS Crosshair VIII Formula or Hero motherboards using other than 0066 bios build must be considered invalid, at least partially. Reviews using other ASUS motherboard models (not provided by AMD) are under suspicion as well.

The external power measurements (VRM DCR) revealed that the CPU was consuming significantly more power, than its power management should have allowed it to. I initially suspected that this was AMDs own doing, in an effort trying to boost the performance of the new CPUs even further, but further investigation indicated otherwise.

AMD had no part in it, and the actions by ASUS are the sole reason behind it. The investigation revealed that ASUS is altering one or more power management parameters of the CPU, causing it believe it consumes less power than it actually does. As a result, the frequencies will be higher than the actual power budget would normally allow to. Tricks like this are pretty much a common (mal)practice these days however, there is a good reason why this must be considered worse than the others: this "thing" is completely undetectable without external measurements and rather deep knowledge, but also there is no way to disable it either.

Last edited:
Associate
Ditto. I'm still waiting to see what exactly is best for me. Waiting for things to settle down. I'm in no rush.
I'm actually after the 3950X (no need for it but it's been 8 years so I'm treating myself!) so right now I'm looking at a 2600/2700/X to tide me over as I simply can't wait any longer :D

G J

G J

Associate
Doubt it. It's a bit concerning that even OcUK doesn't list the CPUs as in stock yet. I really need mine delivered tomorrow if I'm going to get any time this week to use it, which means it needs to be shipped today...
Further reading it seems abit strange doing the orders on Sunday when people wont get them till Tuesday.

Anyway I'm not sure what to do either go for a 3600 and b450 or check the MM/Wanted section for anybody getting rid of their dirty filthy security ridden 6 core Intel cpus. :D

Back
Top Bottom