2019 Chilli Growing thread

Soldato
Cherry bomb and Cayennetta in my chilligrow, and Hungary hot wax in quadgrow.
cherry-bomb-1.jpg

Cayennetta.jpg

hungary-hot-wax.jpg

Soldato
My first time growing Hungary hot wax, read a lot about people saying its nice chilli, anyway, i see a lot of people seem to stuff them with cheese and stuff in the oven, well i just put a bit of olive oil on it and cooked for 20 minutes, like a normal bell pepper, was quite nice, but i guess there great stuffed with cheese etc, but im one of the only people i know that hates cheese, any other ideal how to use a Hungary hot wax chilli, or what to stuff it with, also i see people use them mainly yellow, or let them go ripe to red, any of you guys ever grow them ?
hungary-hot-wax.jpg

Associate
I bought Chilli focus last year as my hotter varieties were struggling to fruit. As soon as i started feeding them focus the difference was night and day. Started all my plants this year with focus at 1st sign of flowers and they're doing well.

During the ENG-USA came i re-potted all my plants into larger containers and have them over 2 windowsills in the house now, still sat in trays for bottom feeding with water 2-3 times a week (once a week with focus, other 2 just water top ups when needed). I put the current root structure at the bottom of the larger pots and trimmed all the lower leaves off to cover an extra 3-5inches of stem with soil. All the plants seem to have taken well to it and showing new growth at the new bases.

Off on holiday for 2 weeks soon so hopefully they don't all suffer too much and neighbours remember to keep them top'd up with water.

Soldato
Any recommendations for indoor storage? My chili plants are on the kitchen window ledge and are taking up the entire window now. Is there any indoor small greenhouse you can buy?

Caporegime
Any recommendations for indoor storage? My chili plants are on the kitchen window ledge and are taking up the entire window now. Is there any indoor small greenhouse you can buy?

why would you need an indoor greenhouse?

they need sunlight so they need to be in front of a window or in front of a grow lamp.

your house should never really drop below 10C and maintain 17c+ on average without any heating in summer.

i've heard of people using indoor grow tents with a grow lamp but never an indoor greenhouse. how would it get daylight?

Associate
Help - my weedy arms cant open my new 5l bottlef chilli focus. Taken the plastic ring off that holds the lid in place but its itt budging. Not got anything wide enough to clamp it for leverage. Anybody had this problem and got it to open

Caporegime
Anyone know what this is? I forgot to mark my chillies when I planted them so it's either a Carolina Reaper, Trinidad Scorpion, Red Habanero or a hybrid.

The only other fruit on the plant.

Last edited:
Soldato
Think i will start a weekly update here, with some photos.
Looking better in the polly tunnel now, seeing as i only started first week of june.
Hot wax got a lot of chillis on, not sure if to use them yellow or let them go red.
20190714-122532.jpg

All my chilli/tomato plants seem to be growing well now, there getting through like 45 litres of water every 3 days at the moment, might have to buy more nutes soon.
20190714-114454.jpg

20190714-114119.jpg

20190714-113031.jpg

20190714-114207.jpg

Roots now into the reservoirs of the quad grows, they must love the nutes.
20190714-132338.jpg

Not sure if to stop the tomatoes, or start tying them across the top of polly, already at 7 flowering trusses, but seems to early to stop them, wonder what month/week people stop them under cover ?
20190714-112630.jpg

Tomato plants looking green and great.
20190714-113210.jpg

20190714-113216.jpg

20190714-113237.jpg

Soldato
Well last time i grew chillis/tomato's was 2013, then i had health problems, so was the last thing on my mind, took all this time to get my head around my problems, and i only decided to start growing again late may, so had to buy all my plants in, then bought all the equipment, and here we are, planted up like a month late, usually beginning of may i would have had plants in tunnel, but the weather has helped them gain back the lost month a little, oh, and yeah get your greenhouse ready for next growing season.

Caporegime
Help - my weedy arms cant open my new 5l bottlef chilli focus. Taken the plastic ring off that holds the lid in place but its itt budging. Not got anything wide enough to clamp it for leverage. Anybody had this problem and got it to open

i drilled a hole into the top. then used a funnel to pour it all into a 3 litre bottle of tomorite. i then sealed the hole up using tape and put away in the garage.

i now decant from the tomorite when i need it.

Soldato
Gutted, went to look at my tomato beefsteak earlier, and bottom 2 trusses have snapped off from main steam, was quite a lot of big green tomatos on them, so only have 2 trusses left, any ideal why they snapped off ? thought truss stalk would have been strong enough to hold them, mind you was like 6 on each truss, any ideals of best support or do i limit truss size, the upper 2 trusses have like 10 flowers on each.

Soldato
Gutted, went to look at my tomato beefsteak earlier, and bottom 2 trusses have snapped off from main steam, was quite a lot of big green tomatos on them, so only have 2 trusses left, any ideal why they snapped off ? thought truss stalk would have been strong enough to hold them, mind you was like 6 on each truss, any ideals of best support or do i limit truss size, the upper 2 trusses have like 10 flowers on each.

They just get too heavy. You either need to support them, or prune them back so you get less tomatoes, but they are larger and better quality and don't tear themselves off the plant.

Keep the green tomatoes on the stalks in the kitchen see if they ripen. If not, you can still make green tomato chutney with them.

Back
Top Bottom