2019 Chilli Growing thread

Caporegime
There is that powder which is meant to be like glass for them you can sprinkle all over the top soil.

You can ingest it too to kill any parasites in your stomach.

Maybe look into that or spray or pellets or some salt not too much or make soil unfertile.

Associate
Just bought a few packs of chilli seeds after getting some as a gift and growing them.
What sort of size of pot would be good to start in? Do you start small and move them into a bigger one as time goes or just get a decent sized one and that’s it? Currently for my kitchen windowsill to start with. Was thinking 10” diameter pots? I bought cherry bombs and Serranos if that makes a difference.
Thanks

Soldato
To late to start growing chillis this year from seed, start early next year for a good 2020 season, 10" pot are fine for the final pot, but start seeds in seed trays or little 2" pots, they when they have 1 set of true leaves move to a 3.5" pot, then maybe to a 5" pot, then final pot, i am growing 3 x cherry bomb chilli plants this year, there not very hot but a nice little heat, i use them in rolls with tomato, or just eat them on there own.

Great info here https://www.southdevonchillifarm.co.uk/how-to/growing-chilli-plants/

Soldato
My first ripe Aji Lemon Drop, lovely flavour.
Aji-Lemon-Drop-13-08-2019.jpg

Associate
To late to start growing chillis this year from seed, start early next year for a good 2020 season, 10" pot are fine for the final pot, but start seeds in seed trays or little 2" pots, they when they have 1 set of true leaves move to a 3.5" pot, then maybe to a 5" pot, then final pot, i am growing 3 x cherry bomb chilli plants this year, there not very hot but a nice little heat, i use them in rolls with tomato, or just eat them on there own.

Great info here https://www.southdevonchillifarm.co.uk/how-to/growing-chilli-plants/

Thanks for the info I’ll go have a read. I’ll keep everything ready for start of next year and see how the ones I have go. I have 3 going at the moment

Soldato
Thanks for the info I’ll go have a read. I’ll keep everything ready for start of next year and see how the ones I have go. I have 3 going at the moment

Read up on overwintering - as the temps drop, you'll have to keep them warm and growing OR overwinter so they go dormant.

Caporegime
Had a better look at my peppers this evening and I'm not sure if I've got the peppers I thought I had bought.

I bought a pack of Red Habaneros, Trinidad Scorpions and Carolina Reapers from SDCF and ended up with 5 Habanero plants and 3 each of the other two. I should know which is which but I forgot to mark them when I planted them.

I'm pretty sure the Habanero's are easy enough to identify, even though one plant is producing fruit 4 times the size of the others, but either the Scorpions or the Reapers look more like Ghost peppers.

This one looks like a Trinidad Scorpion yet a load of other fruit on the plant look like Habaneros. I only have one plant producing fruit like this.

Red Habaneros

This also looks like a Habanero but it's gigantic and about the size of a tangerine.

I think the next two pictures are Carolina Reapers but they could be Scorpions.

These look nothing like the picture on either the Reaper or Scorpion packs but I have three plants like this. Google suggests they look more like Ghost peppers.

Can anyone help to identity them?

Soldato
how warm is warm though?

Not feeling but not warm enough it think it's time to start pushing out leaves. It's more about not over watering too - I suspect that most people loose overwintered plants due to disease cause by over watering.

The only time I've done this successfully is on a draughty windowsill. I tried an unheated conservatory but lost the lot as soon as the temps dropped to -7 :(

So just make sure it doesn't freeze (around 10degC I would say). They will loose their leaves as the temps drop - let that happen as the sap draws back. Once the leaves have dropped, wait a week and then cut back the branches to the Y of stem (leaving a Y shape). In their hibernating state they won't mind cold down to say 5-6degC for short periods. However giving them light is still required - just not heat.

Associate
Anyone growing Carolina Reapers or got a bit of experience with them?

Could you tell me if I've been ripped off, or got the wrong seeds somehow?

I bought some reaper seeds this spring and the plants have been growing well and are fruiting beautifully but the chillis dont look how I expected. They are long (5-6cm) pointed and smooth not at all like the pictures of ripe Reapers I've seen, they look more like a standard Cayenne or something.

Anyone able to tell me if they are definitely right or wrong

Thanks

PjBoKU9.jpg

Soldato
Anyone growing Carolina Reapers or got a bit of experience with them?

Could you tell me if I've been ripped off, or got the wrong seeds somehow?

I bought some reaper seeds this spring and the plants have been growing well and are fruiting beautifully but the chillis dont look how I expected. They are long (5-6cm) pointed and smooth not at all like the pictures of ripe Reapers I've seen, they look more like a standard Cayenne or something.

Anyone able to tell me if they are definitely right or wrong

I've not grown them, but they don't look like that even when they are green.

Back
Top Bottom