Crazy jump in day meter reading all of a sudden?!

Associate
Just submitted my quarterly meter reading after I suspected they did a bad job.

Last quarter used 31kWh in the day and 1067. kWh in the night
This quarter 1129. kWh in the day and 332. kWh night

What's crazy is we should've used less since we're never home during the day atm and we do pretty much everything in the night.

Edit: also we haven't had the storage heaters on this qtr makes it even weirder.

Has anyone had the same issue since my day rate it's stupid high at 21.83p?

Last edited:
Soldato
So your usage was previously 30x higher at night rate? Then currently 3x higher at day rate?

Have they moved the timings?

Is it because of British Summer Time/DST and all your consumption is around 6/7 o'clock?

Associate
OP
So your usage was previously 30x higher at night rate? Then currently 3x higher at day rate?

Have they moved the timings?

Is it because of British Summer Time/DST and all your consumption is around 6/7 o'clock?

As far as we're aware no timings have changed, to be honest I don't even know what they are. We never received anything other then bills :/

Associate
OP
So I just checked it's only changed by an hour for BST - 12:30am and 8:30am

To me I can't see how there would be such a significant jump.

Associate
OP
Are you sure the day and night readings are and were the right way around? On my meter, they're labelled 1 and 2. It's easy to get them the wrong way round, either by your own mistake or your supplier's mistake.

Unfortunately, I take pictures with every reading as I have a terrible memory and it showing correct plus the energy company comes out and checks regularly as it's a block of flats.

Neither of those reading look right.

Try reconnecting the jump leads to the lampost for a more accurate reading.

This is Wales, will a Tilly lamp on a stick do?

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
OP
Something is defo wrong there, what was the readings before them two? Put your last 5 readings in a spreadsheet.

Anything been left on or any new devices plugged in?

Only been here since November, shows only estimates in first bills which we're all completely off.

Upgraded the computer to a Ryzen 7 1700 and Vega 56 but I don't really get time to use it much and plus I worked out even if it hit 650w 10 hours a day for 3 months it would only be £129 which it defiantly shouldn't be (if I've done maths right).

I've ordered a few smart plugs off amazon see if that can perhaps point to a problem. I've also taken a reading at 12:30 and I'll take one at 8:30 to see if the meter day and night is going up correct.

We're near Aberaeron and yep defiantly made me happy riding them everyday and hopefully again soon.

Associate
OP
Meter must be knackered, the night hasn't gone up but the day reading has. It's even printed on the front which was is day and night.

Double checked it again and my day unit has gone up 3 kwh in the night and night hasn't moved...looking at the figures it makes sense that the units have switched. I have double and triple checked the rates and taken pictures so hopefully they'll simply replace the meter and readjust the amount.

No idea how it's happened though, there was flooding in the meter room for a few months that was only just resolved. and I see someone has pulled away at the secure tamper shielding which I've taken a picture of.

Last edited:
Associate
Last quarter used 31kWh in the day

This can't be right for a start. 31 kWh in 3 months is approximately 0.3 kWh per day. This isn't even enough to run a fridge/freezer (assuming you have one) let alone any other use on top of that. Are you sure the last quarter's bill wasn't estimated? and now you've supplied accurate readings it has resulted in a 'catch-up' bill?

This would mean the previous estimated bill had underestimated your day usage and overestimated your night usage.

Associate
OP
This can't be right for a start. 31 kWh in 3 months is approximately 0.3 kWh per day. This isn't even enough to run a fridge/freezer (assuming you have one) let alone any other use on top of that. Are you sure the last quarter's bill wasn't estimated? and now you've supplied accurate readings it has resulted in a 'catch-up' bill?

This would mean the previous estimated bill had underestimated your day usage and overestimated your night usage.

It shouldn't be as the bills generated say actual readings and not estimated.

The meter is definatly faulty the day is going up during the night and the night is going up during the day.

And I did check what Reading should be taken as it's printed on the unit itself. And I've compared against the previous readings taking by myself and by their employee.

Back
Top Bottom