• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Zen 2 Owners Thread!

Associate
So just done with my build, and temps seem a little high on the 3700X. It's showing between 50-60 degrees, using the stock cooler with pre-applied paste. Is this to be expected or do I need to repaste and remount the cooler?

Associate
whats the stock temps gaming for a few hrs on the stock cooler for the 3700x and the 3900x ?
Mid 70s I can guess. Stock cooler fan will ramp up and get louder by default.

I'm interested in Noctua D15S on low fixed rpm, 75c would be acceptable. These AMD tweaks and such are ok I guess - it's slightly different to an Intel but also cheaper so yay :)

Associate
So just done with my build, and temps seem a little high on the 3700X. It's showing between 50-60 degrees, using the stock cooler with pre-applied paste. Is this to be expected or do I need to repaste and remount the cooler?

Yes, scrape off stock paste and apply new paste. MX-4 or something better. Due to the position of the dies, i read it suggested to spread the paste.

Soldato
1.0.0.3ABA is supposed to fix the Linux boot issue, maybe Destiny too (since I think both issues have the same cause). I wish they'd use a more sensible naming scheme...

Yes, scrape off stock paste and apply new paste. MX-4 or something better. Due to the position of the dies, i read it suggested to spread the paste.
Paste is meant to be very thin, the problem with the "spread" method is people usually put too much paste. If you want to guarantee covering the whole surface you could just use 4 smaller pea blobs instead of 1 big one.

Last edited:
Associate
1.0.0.3ABA is supposed to fix the Linux both issues, maybe Destiny too (since I think both issues have the same cause). I wish they'd use a more sensible naming scheme...
The AB version was out before Destiny's problem came up, Bungie sent the fix to AMD a few days ago so I don't think is the same one.

Soldato
what Thermal paste are people using?

Im getting idles of 42-55c (1.3v) using H100i and kryonaut, but ive seen a few reports on reddit of people saying they having poor results with kryonaut on Ryzen 3000,

Im wonderig if its worth trying something else? I applied it in a X application, i may just try an even thin layer spread out.

OK update for evreyone, changed paste to Notcua NT H2, I noticed while removing the H100i the Thermal Grizzly had not spread well at all! I did it using the X pattern but when taking off the cooler a lot of the die was uncovered!

I would have liked to try again by spreading it thinly across the entire chip but I have none left.

Anyway the Notcua seems way more spreadable and I did 1 dot in the middle and then one in each corner, and we'll the results speak for them self I. noticed when putting the block back the block was more slippy on the paste (which is my experience with every other paste) where as with the TG there was no movement.

Idles went from 43c to 37c
Aida 64 stress went from 83c to 63c

So I think possibly the Thermal grizzly is a good paste but it matters massively how you apply it and I just applied it wrongly, I would have liked to have tried it again, but I ran out.

Having said that, I'll be using Noctua from now, fanatic results.

Associate
OK update for evreyone, changed paste to Notcua NT H2, I noticed while removing the H100i the Thermal Grizzly had not spread well at all! I did it using the X pattern but when taking off the cooler a lot of the die was uncovered!

I would have liked to try again by spreading it thinly across the entire chip but I have none left.

Anyway the Notcua seems way more spreadable and I did 1 dot in the middle and then one in each corner, and we'll the results speak for them self I. noticed when putting the block back the block was more slippy on the paste (which is my experience with every other paste) where as with the TG there was no movement.

Idles went from 43c to 37c
Aida 64 stress went from 83c to 63c

So I think possibly the Thermal grizzly is a good paste but it matters massively how you apply it and I just applied it wrongly, I would have liked to have tried it again, but I ran out.

Having said that, I'll be using Noctua from now, fanatic results.
Now you got me worried, even though my Idles are around 35-37C, and 73C during all core C20, otherwise 60s

Soldato
i'm getting 1.5v all the time when gaming on auto, cores seem to hit 4.3Ghz.

think i'm going to manual overclock for now. I can get 4.3Ghz with 1.35v Intelburntest stable.

c7NwPWj.jpg

Associate
that cinebench was manual overclock. well i enabled xfr, pbo and loadline to turbo, ram to xmp rest on auto
I was about to say that chip is working like no other lol

I did some C20 last night for a little, OCd my 3800X to 4.45Ghz stable. I am going to do more runs once I get the timings adjusted on my RAM.

Back
Top Bottom