Pro Cycling Discussion 2019

Soldato
OP
Thinking back, I can't think since Sky got destroyed in 2016 Vuelta I think it was when not paying attention at the beginning of a short stage they've been caught out by crosswinds or missed the big moves in any GT since, no matter what you say about their ethics/performance, the key decision making behind them is absolutely top notch which is a shame for their rivals as it does mean they generally have to beat them on the road in a straight fight which is only going to happen if something catastrophic goes wrong it seems.

Soldato
OP

He didn't even bother contesting it, so Froome now becomes the first British GT winner.

Dull stage yesterday, got to be a breakaway today with the TT tomorrow, doubt anyone will want to go too deep and then blow away a shed load of time unable to ride tomorrow/saving themselves for the weekend.

I'm hoping that Alaphillipe holds onto Yellow and lives with Thomas and Bernal in the mountains, it would then start to get really interesting at the top. Unfortunately I can't see it playing out like that, but you never know.

Soldato
Thinking back, I can't think since Sky got destroyed in 2016 Vuelta I think it was when not paying attention at the beginning of a short stage they've been caught out by crosswinds or missed the big moves in any GT since, no matter what you say about their ethics/performance, the key decision making behind them is absolutely top notch which is a shame for their rivals as it does mean they generally have to beat them on the road in a straight fight which is only going to happen if something catastrophic goes wrong it seems.

Yeah last one I remember was on the Formigal stage where Sky were farting around at the back of the peleton and Contador went flat out straight away with Quintana and a select group to drop Sky. They have been a lot more attentive since

Soldato
OP
Boring day as expected, but great win for Yates, played the mini sprint perfectly heading into the corner first.

More I read about Dennis' withdrawal, the more it is unsettling. Really hope nothing bad mentally is going on, as that's what it sounds like.

How much will the top 10 differ after today? Expecting some big rides from the top 3, I reckon Richie Porte could jump up the order a bit, as could Uran if he does one of his good TT rides.

Soldato
I'm holding onto big hopes that Kruis does a ridiculous ride. G to take time out of Ala and Kruis to go 3rd on GC putting time into Bernal.

The whole Rohan Dennis situ is beyond strange. I really do not know what to make of it.

Soldato
OP
Incredible tt from Julian alaphillipe. Will be interesting to see how everything is tomorrow with dqs supporting him and mas. Can the team support them, envisaging a cracking day tomorrow as its short can see it going off early.

My shouts of uran and Thomas did well!

Soldato
Thomas cooked with the jersey unzipped. I think he’s the one to beat still, best team, past winner, age on his side, knows what he’s up against. Said he’s missing 5% still (probably due to poor build up), if he gains that while others are at their peak and decline from now on he has it in the bag.

Ala jumped off the bike like he was fresh still... even when I’ve had a good ride I am rooted at the end!

Good ride from Porte, quite a bit of time on the base bar on the descents when GT et al were on the aero bars but he got round and gained time on most rivals.

Quintana good TT I thought for such a small guy. See how he backs up, the Movistar guys almost all on the same time now!

Soldato
Well that was an interesting stage. Looking forward to seeing somebody other than Ineos defending the yellow going up hill. I wonder if JA emptied the tank today and will crack tomorrow? Or will waft up the Tourmalet easily, covering the GC threats?

Soldato
Ala jumped off the bike like he was fresh still... even when I’ve had a good ride I am rooted at the end!

That’s why I think the performance is bordering on suspicious. He didn’t look like he went full gas at all, he jumped off his bike not even breathing hard, whilst people like Fuglsang was gasping with spit hanging off his chin and other riders bent over.

Soldato
In the peloton, we’re in race mode. That means we talk about other teams. We spread rumours. (Has anyone else noticed that riders go backwards when they leave Quick Step? The only exceptions are Laurens De Plus and Max Schachmann.) We talk about who has a contract and who doesn’t, who’s going where next season. How some guy lost a ton of weight after switching teams to one outside the MPCC.

Soldato
at least its entertaining this year. not just the dull sky watch the wattmeter boring trains.
I didn’t see any massive attacks and crazy racing today?

Just a 20km grind with leaders being dropped every few km from a reducing bunch while Movistar/FDJ worked the front.

Froome bombing the descents to take time, or sky drilling it in the crosswinds with Froome & Sagan teaming up were very exciting.

I’m not a Froome fan I think his style is ugly and his persona too nice off the bike but he can certainly race.

Soldato
OP
I didn’t see any massive attacks and crazy racing today?

Just a 20km grind with leaders being dropped every few km from a reducing bunch while Movistar/FDJ worked the front.
Agreed, yesterday was a very odd day purely attrition it seemed, today on the other hand was awesome! Great win for Yates and great racing from everyone finishing in the top 10, attacks, Counters, battles back and a bit of rain! Today had it all.

Soldato
Awesome racing today, Pinot getting back into contention with a couple of fantastic days. Wonder if he’s gone too deep and will crack next week. GC is so close, sets up a fantastic last week.

Back
Top Bottom