PPI Claiming

Soldato
Sent a claim using the Which PPI tool at the beginning of the month but haven't heard anything back.

With the deadline being so close I feel I should send another claim using someone else just to be sure it is received in time.

Associate
I've been pestering my mate for ages to check his loans and credit cards for PPI, he was adamant he didn't take any out.
I reminded him a couple of months ago that the deadline was approaching and eventually pulled his finger out and filled in all the forms.

He sent me a photo of his cheque that arrived on Monday for....£22k ! :eek:

Associate
Stupid question no doubt.

The oNly loan, overdraft I’ve ever had is a mortgage which I made a PPI check on last week. PPI would only have been incurred if I had a loan or went overdrawn would it not?

I have a credit card and have used catalogs but have always paid them in full straight away. Never incurring interest or charges. I’d guess due to all of this PPI checking bearing the mortgage is a waste of time?

Soldato
Stupid question no doubt.

The oNly loan, overdraft I’ve ever had is a mortgage which I made a PPI check on last week. PPI would only have been incurred if I had a loan or went overdrawn would it not?

I have a credit card and have used catalogs but have always paid them in full straight away. Never incurring interest or charges. I’d guess due to all of this PPI checking bearing the mortgage is a waste of time?

Whilst i'm not an expert, isn't PPI the insurance you pay to protect yourself from being unable to pay.

So just because you never went overdrawn or paid interest doesn't mean you may not have been paying PPI

Associate
I think it is. Though bearing the mortgage I had I’ve never had another loan or paid bank or credit card monthly charges etc to have an account so I presume in my case there would be no PPI to claim on anything except for said mortgage.

Associate
I think it is. Though bearing the mortgage I had I’ve never had another loan or paid bank or credit card monthly charges etc to have an account so I presume in my case there would be no PPI to claim on anything except for said mortgage.
Whether you used it or not, its cost would have been factored into the repayments (assuming you had it obviously).

Unless you have the original paperwork to check for PPI inclusion, start the ball rolling now - you have nothing to lose.

Associate
I received a letter regarding a PPI claim I submitted via Which ... came back with my fathers name and presumably his PPI reference number, and last digits of his card number, stating the address doesn’t match what they have on record .... :(:eek:

Soldato
I never had a loan or mortgage. Had loads of credit card but never really paid interest. Worth doing? Anyone had success with just credit cards?

Soldato
I never had a loan or mortgage. Had loads of credit card but never really paid interest. Worth doing? Anyone had success with just credit cards?
You've got nothing to lose.

I filled in the forms on two companies websites, took a few minutes, no idea if I ever had it.

I'll either get something or I won't - nothing to lose.

Soldato
I ended up calling Gladstone's and put a claim in to Lloyds bank, Capital One, Toys 'R' Us (or should that be Toys 'Were' Us), Littlewoods and Very.

Lloyds bank to was for a loan I had in 1994, and Toys 'R' Us was for a PS1! Was tricky remembering 5 different postcodes and all the moving in and out dates, but I got there in the end.

Soldato
I ended up calling Gladstone's and put a claim in to Lloyds bank, Capital One, Toys 'R' Us (or should that be Toys 'Were' Us), Littlewoods and Very.

Lloyds bank to was for a loan I had in 1994, and Toys 'R' Us was for a PS1! Was tricky remembering 5 different postcodes and all the moving in and out dates, but I got there in the end.

Not sure why they'd need the moving in/out dates, it's totally irrelevant. Toys R Us were underwritten by Santander (as were a lot of high street stores) and they hide behind the '15 year' rule on cards. They're the only bank (from my experience working for a CMC) that use this rule in an attempt to not pay out.

Soldato
Not sure why they'd need the moving in/out dates, it's totally irrelevant. Toys R Us were underwritten by Santander (as were a lot of high street stores) and they hide behind the '15 year' rule on cards. They're the only bank (from my experience working for a CMC) that use this rule in an attempt to not pay out.

I presume they wanted dates to help verify the accounts as they are long since closed. I had to give 5 different addresses. Thinking about it now, there's another address I lived in for 6 months, but it shouldn't matter as I didn't have any finance at that time.

The only money I expect I might get will be through Capital One, but I gave details for every bit of finance I've ever had just incase.

Soldato
Not sure what to recommend to a relative now that the deadline is so close, he's had quite a few loans and credit cards over the years with PPI and being self employed may have a case for claiming.

As he's unlikely to find all the account details is he better off going with a company who might take cut or just sending a check if I had a PPI claim with the providers rather than sending a claim with no real info?

Btw Natwest has gone down so looks like the PPI rush has started

Soldato
Sent a claim using the Which PPI tool at the beginning of the month but haven't heard anything back.

With the deadline being so close I feel I should send another claim using someone else just to be sure it is received in time.

Check the terms of the first company you used, they usually have hefty clauses where they will charge you big time if they find out you are making a claim elsewhere and they lose out claiming the PPI for you as a result.

Associate
Anyone used claimhunters? Left it late as never thought I'd had PPI with anyone other than an old Halifax account which I went through Halifax to check. Thought it might be worth trying a third party to check everything just in case though and it seems a lot have stopped accepting new claims.

Associate
In the end I used the resolver tool on monysavingexpert. It’s free and is basically what you supposedly have to fill out for the claim companies anyway.

Soldato
Check the terms of the first company you used, they usually have hefty clauses where they will charge you big time if they find out you are making a claim elsewhere and they lose out claiming the PPI for you as a result.

The Which PPI checker is free so no worries there, I've still heard nothing back so just going to do a claim direct with Natwest now that the site is online again.

My relative has narrowed it down to a few banks that he knows about so think I'll tell him to just do the PPI Check request directly with them as it seems they are treating any checks that come back positive as a claim so will still beat the deadline. He doesn't know all the account numbers or start dates so I don't think just sending a claim now with so little info will do much.

Banks used to treat a 'check whether you had PPI' and 'complaint about PPI' as separate things. Now most banks have agreed with regulator the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) that someone simply enquiring if they had PPI counts as starting a complaint for the purposes of the deadline.

• Major firms which count a check as beating the deadline: Bank of Scotland, Barclaycard, Barclays, Capital One, Citibank, Clydesdale Bank, Co-operative Bank, Egg, Halifax, HSBC, Lloyds, MBNA, Mint, Nationwide, NatWest, NRAM (Northern Rock), RBS, Ulster Bank, Yorkshire Bank.
  • Major firms which still separate a check and a complaint: Santander (though if you do a check with it, provided it is before the 11.59pm 29 August deadline, then you will have 12 weeks after it responds to put in a complaint).
Therefore, in most cases to trigger a claim you simply need to get in touch with the bank to ask it whether you had PPI – our free PPI reclaim tool includes this.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/ppi-loan-insurance/

Back
Top Bottom