PPI Claiming

Soldato
With all the horror stories about Egg - I'm wondering if I should check if I they ever managed to sneak PPI in without me noticing.

I know for a fact that I always declined it, and I'm pretty sure I've always kept enough of a close eye on my statements that I would have spotted it if it had been added - but now I'm thinking that it is worth checking just in case. I really don't think it will be there, but if the story around pre-ticked boxes are true its possible I've been a complete penis and missed it, doubtful, but possible.

Whats the best way to go about checking? Is it just a claim on resolver or is there a step before this?

Soldato
My concern is mortgages to be honest - again I've usually been pretty strict in not taking any kind of protection - but I guess that's the point in them adding it on without your knowledge!

I do remember being told by a financial advisor that I had "a better chance of being accepted" for a mortgage if we took the protection - I assume this would count as a form of "mis-selling"?

It depends on the circumstances. For some lenders, it was a condition of the loan that you must take MPPI (which is fine and doesnt automatically mean it was missold). If your FA lied to you and told you that you needed MPPI when you didnt, then that's more likely to be missold.

Most MPPI complaints are rejected because, unlike credit card PPI, it's actually a useful thing to have. How else would you have paid for your mortgage if you lost your job or became unable to work?

Soldato
Can anyone post up (or trust me) which companies they are using to check where/when/if they have had PPI in the past?

I actually work for one but obviously can't say who due to forum rules :p

Re: Egg - absolutely check it. In a lot of cases it was pre-ticked. Touch was right with mortgages, it was at times good protection. However, PPI policies only covered you for the first x amount of years, NOT the term of the mortgage. The PPI policy value also sometimes got lumped onto your borrowing amount so you paid interest on it for the length of the borrowing, despite it being useless after the first few years.

Soldato
Egg didn't question mine, I got a large pay off from them, the only one that has been contested is one of my Barclay cards, this is currently on the way to the ombudsman.

Associate
I did send in my request for PPI stuff earlier this month, and when I today logged onto my bank to check my wages and so I had received a £2100 refund in PPI claims. Very nice start of the morning I must say :)

Soldato
Well back in the early 00's I had an Egg credit card which got transferred to Barclays at some point. Speaking to Barclays a couple of months ago I managed to trip a review of my PPI status historically. Roll forward a month, and having answered some questions, they decided that I had not been mis-sold PPI on the original Egg card ... but ... they found that the level of commission which was paid on it was against the guidelines. As such i was provided with a refund (+ interest + statutory compensation) and as I didn't go through a company I lose no cut there. A rather nice surprise overall.

Soldato
I wondered if anyone else discussed this on here and did a search for PPI and found this thread.

Yeah I highly recommend telling everyone you know to try get PPI before the deadline, I told all my friends and family and out of the poeple I told at least half a dozen got money back, the smallest I heard of was £300 and the largest 3k.

Myself, I had a Halifax credit card over 12 years ago with 2k loads, I applied my claim through "which.co.uk" online and it took 30 seconds, plus they don't take any money off you. A month later I got £4,400 back from Halifax which is now Lloyds.

I've always got another claim going through at the moment with a loan company that went bankrupt, so you have to apply through the government which meant filling in a big application form and sending in loads of documents and then waiting 56 days. This one is still on going.

Soldato
Well back in the early 00's I had an Egg credit card which got transferred to Barclays at some point. Speaking to Barclays a couple of months ago I managed to trip a review of my PPI status historically. Roll forward a month, and having answered some questions, they decided that I had not been mis-sold PPI on the original Egg card ... but ... they found that the level of commission which was paid on it was against the guidelines. As such i was provided with a refund (+ interest + statutory compensation) and as I didn't go through a company I lose no cut there. A rather nice surprise overall.

If you believe it was mis-sold then you can refer the matter to the Financial Ombudsman free of charge for them to take a third party view of the case. They'll look at the information you provided and what the bank provide and if they think the bank are incorrect, they can instruct them to refund you the FULL amount and not just the commission element. It's worth doing anyway as they're probably trying to get away with as little as they can. If the Ombudsman agree with the bank then you won't lose what's already been offered, all that can happen is you get the lot back.

I wondered if anyone else discussed this on here and did a search for PPI and found this thread.

Yeah I highly recommend telling everyone you know to try get PPI before the deadline, I told all my friends and family and out of the poeple I told at least half a dozen got money back, the smallest I heard of was £300 and the largest 3k.

Myself, I had a Halifax credit card over 12 years ago with 2k loads, I applied my claim through "which.co.uk" online and it took 30 seconds, plus they don't take any money off you. A month later I got £4,400 back from Halifax which is now Lloyds.

I've always got another claim going through at the moment with a loan company that went bankrupt, so you have to apply through the government which meant filling in a big application form and sending in loads of documents and then waiting 56 days. This one is still on going.

FSCS claims actually have a lot better success rate than claims with companies still trading. I can't honestly say why!

Associate
Any help or advice with a TSB loan for Mrs FluffySheep. She took it out about 20 years ago and we have no paperwork left. She doesn't know if ppi was on the account hence my angle for the miss selling. They are saying that they want proof from us that the account had ppi. When I/we contact them how should I handle it beyond they are asking for the impossible and they need to check their paper records. I'm guessing they are trying it on to avoid sending a minion into their records.

FluffySheep

Soldato
Any help or advice with a TSB loan for Mrs FluffySheep. She took it out about 20 years ago and we have no paperwork left. She doesn't know if ppi was on the account hence my angle for the miss selling. They are saying that they want proof from us that the account had ppi. When I/we contact them how should I handle it beyond they are asking for the impossible and they need to check their paper records. I'm guessing they are trying it on to avoid sending a minion into their records.

FluffySheep

The Data Protection Act says that companies should not keep personal information for longer than is required. It's open to interpretation of how long "required" would be but generally banks will delete records after 6 years.

If you dont have any records of the PPI and the bank dont either, there's not much more you can do.

Soldato
I've had 2 cheques from Egg recently £474 and £398 for loan and credit card ppi. Also got one from Northern Rock coming soon for about £1200.

I was well aware of PPI at the time and actively refused it if I was asked but these Egg and Northern Rock accounts must have all had PPI added secretly hence me successfully winning my cases.

I did use a ppi company though so I've lost about 20% but they do reward me with £20 amazon vouchers every time I recommend people and so far had £120 in amazon vouchers so don't feel too hard done by.

Soldato

FluffySheep

Ask for a data subject access request. They'll have to provide her with all the records they hold for her so you'll be able to see for yourself. This can take up to 8 weeks mind you but it gives you absolutely everything.

Back
Top Bottom