• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Do we think "tray" AMD CPUs will be available at some point?

Soldato
Apollo 1 computer cost millions - even back in the day. And it ran at a whopping 2MHz! I couldn't afford that kind of state-of-the-art. :D

To quote: "The [Apollo 1] computer's performance was comparable to the first generation of home computers from the late 1970s, such as the Apple II, TRS-80, and Commodore PET"

That's the kind of computing power we eventually got in affordable computers in the UK in the early '80s - so you weren't far off. ;)

Early 80's I was using a Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48k, before my dad later upgraded us to a 128K one, the one with the built on cassette player to load your games.........oh I can still hear the sound the games used to make when loading, I used to love Horrice goes skiing, some games taking nearly half an hour to load and you'd get right to the end of the loading and get a syntax error.

ARRRGGGHHHH !!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6G-YGNrWm8

Last edited:
Associate
But why? The Wraith cooler is good enough and you do not need anything bigger, except if you have the 3900X.
The AMD cooler is superb, not the cheap crap.

Just because it gets the job done for the most part doesn't make it superb.... :rolleyes:

Associate
OP
But why? The Wraith cooler is good enough and you do not need anything bigger, except if you have the 3900X.
The AMD cooler is superb, not the cheap crap.

Because the alternative coolers provide even better cooling performance and are much quieter. And, like the Snowman, can be bought very cheaply. Win-win.

Soldato
Just because it gets the job done for the most part doesn't make it superb.... :rolleyes:

Because the alternative coolers provide even better cooling performance and are much quieter. And, like the Snowman, can be bought very cheaply. Win-win.

Sure if you want to use better cooler or watercooling is an option. However looking for tray AMD cpu is kinda daft when the cooler can be sold for more than the price difference.

Soldato
Yes we stock them, but they are not for sale to consumers, we use them for system builds.

The saving is only around £10, no box and only 1yr warranty.

Get them listed, or let me buy you lunch and have a dig through them one afternoon.

Soldato
There is not even a need to sell the cooler in my opinion (at least for the 6 core X model).

The cooler on my 2600X is more then adequate. The chip runs cooler with the AMD cooler, than my intel chip does with after market cooler.

Associate
OP
Get them listed, or let me buy you lunch and have a dig through them one afternoon.

He should buy a job-lot of the Snowman coolers and sell them with a tray 3600 processor in a bundle. I'd be prepared to pay an extra £10 over the retail unit for the bundle with the better cooler - and not have the cost/hassle of getting rid of the retail cooler. ;)

Associate
OP
There is not even a need to sell the cooler in my opinion (at least for the 6 core X model).

The cooler on my 2600X is more then adequate. The chip runs cooler with the AMD cooler, than my intel chip does with after market cooler.

I run a silent PC build, as I use the machine all day for development work. I'd rather pay a small extra amount for a quieter cooler and lower temps. ;)

And I believe the "X" actually ships with a better cooler - I was looking at the 3600 regular. Price difference more than covers the better cooler.

Associate
They're available from a few retailers in Europe, but they cost more than the boxed SKUs with cooler ... which is silly.

It's just waste for a lot of people.

Back
Top Bottom