New valve vr hmd

Associate
I'm thinking about buying a second hand Vive Pro headset from ebay, they seem to go for around £400-500. Really tempting just for that 'experience' type software where high refresh rate or clarity isn't as important, but popping colours and blacks are.
I've got a couple of high end headphones that I used previously on my OG Vive (Seinnheiser HD800 S, Beyerdynamic T1) and whilst the quality is great, it's a closed in and fatiguing feeling over time. The fact the earspeakers sit away from your ears to create a room spatial sound quality is a total game changer. And the fidelity is genuinely up there, very good resolution and bass levels.

Associate
Damn, you've got me thinking about doing the same now. Vive Pro with Index controllers seems to be the best solution at the moment. I don't have the horse power for 120Hz, and the Index increased fov is wasted if you wear glasses.

Soldato
if i could be arsed with light house, i think a vive pro + wireless module + index controllers is the way forward.

people keep hating on the vive pro for value but in hindsight, it trades blows with the index at the same price point and the index is released a year or so later..

Last edited:
Associate
I'm just not sure I want to give up those OLED blacks and colours. The colours on my 8K are....passable...but still a huge letdown coming from the Vive OG if I'm honest. The Pro might be the best compromise for me at this point. Do they still have audio issues?

Associate
I had my index delivered on Wednesday and given the little time I've been able to spend in it due to the muggy heat, it's a fantastic piece of kit.

Coming from a CV1 I was looking for extra clarity and it has that in spades. The increased FOV is very noticeable, especially vertically and really adds to the immersion. The colours are great, I've not noticed washout or grey blacks, though I've not played any really dark games yet. Glare is much reduced from the CV1, for example on the loading screen of beat saber it's now hardly noticeable whereas with the CV1 it danced all over the place.

The controllers work fine bit are taking a bit of getting used to coming from the original touch controllers which I think have a batter layout for ease of use and comfort.

The sound is excellent, if there was anything I'd like to improve it would be some more volume, it's not quiet by any means but at full volume it's what I'd normally use and sometimes you just want to really pump it up for beat saber, but there is nowhere left to go.

Getting used to actually gripping rather than button pressing to hold, it will come in time.

Tracking is fantastic feels smoother, for example playing eleven table tennis than it did on the CV1, odd but true.

I'm running it on an 8700K and GTX 1080 and it's running fine. Revive is a mixed bag, had a few games crash now and again, the integration with steam is flawless. It was one f my concerns about losing oculus stuff.

I've lots and lots to try out yet, I've only really dabbled so far.

As for is it worth the money, for me yes. No regrets with this headset, I can't wait to have a real delve into it over the weekend.

The CV1 is packed up in the loft.

Associate
A question about revive ands using Index or anything else on steam, Are you getting native resolution of say the index or vive pro for example, rather than Oculus lesser pixeld version. I imagine since they are Oculus versions of the game, thew software itself would limit them Oculus specifications. I think perhaps this might also be a issue with refresh frequencys?

Soldato
A question about revive ands using Index or anything else on steam, Are you getting native resolution of say the index or vive pro for example, rather than Oculus lesser pixeld version. I imagine since they are Oculus versions of the game, thew software itself would limit them Oculus specifications. I think perhaps this might also be a issue with refresh frequencys?

no.

it uses the index's screen/resolution. the issue of compataibility etc. with games is a bit different and can be hit and miss, especially control schemes.

if the index had perfect support for oculus exclusives, i'd own one. sadly the only vr games i look forward to are occy exclusives.

Soldato
Just got an email saying my reservation is now available to order.... it had previously said end of september so either they really ramped up production or demand hasn't been as high as they expected/hoped.

I really can't decide whether it's worth dropping a grand on at the moment top upgrade from my OG Rift. Could arguably take that money and buy both a quest and a rift S, plus save some towards a GPU upgrade... or just buy a new GPU and stick with the Rift.Decisions decisions!

Shame you can't pop down to a shop and try out the Index, VR headsets are such personal experiences that it's hard to get a feel for just how different they might be... I think that's also part of their marketing problem - you can't really describe a VR experience that well.

Last edited:
Associate
As a previous owner of the original Vive, and current owner of the PSVR and Valve Index, if you really have the money to spare and fancy a new experience, for the same money get a PSVR + Ps4 pro and Quest.
I did a side by side experiment with Tetris Effect on both the Index and PSVR, swapping the headsets out for comparison. Both my girlfriend and I agree the colour and depth of image was superior on the PSVR. The Index had a sharper image but that’s all.
The PSVR has that sense of wonder, the Index is very dry by comparison.
I’m new here so can’t sell stuff, but I put the Index up on ebay today, had two offers already. Glad I’ll be able to shift it quickly.
Stick to OLED screens, they are essential to the VR experience.

Soldato
I had my index delivered on Wednesday and given the little time I've been able to spend in it due to the muggy heat, it's a fantastic piece of kit.

Coming from a CV1 I was looking for extra clarity and it has that in spades. The increased FOV is very noticeable, especially vertically and really adds to the immersion. The colours are great, I've not noticed washout or grey blacks, though I've not played any really dark games yet. Glare is much reduced from the CV1, for example on the loading screen of beat saber it's now hardly noticeable whereas with the CV1 it danced all over the place.

The controllers work fine bit are taking a bit of getting used to coming from the original touch controllers which I think have a batter layout for ease of use and comfort.

The sound is excellent, if there was anything I'd like to improve it would be some more volume, it's not quiet by any means but at full volume it's what I'd normally use and sometimes you just want to really pump it up for beat saber, but there is nowhere left to go.

Getting used to actually gripping rather than button pressing to hold, it will come in time.

Tracking is fantastic feels smoother, for example playing eleven table tennis than it did on the CV1, odd but true.

I'm running it on an 8700K and GTX 1080 and it's running fine. Revive is a mixed bag, had a few games crash now and again, the integration with steam is flawless. It was one f my concerns about losing oculus stuff.

I've lots and lots to try out yet, I've only really dabbled so far.

As for is it worth the money, for me yes. No regrets with this headset, I can't wait to have a real delve into it over the weekend.

The CV1 is packed up in the loft.

you're the first person i've heard say the volume isn't good enough. all reviewers said they had to lower it to 50-60%.

(im not doubting you at all btw).

the revive issues stop me from buying one :( all the good games are occy exclusives

Soldato
As a previous owner of the original Vive, and current owner of the PSVR and Valve Index, if you really have the money to spare and fancy a new experience, for the same money get a PSVR + Ps4 pro and Quest.
I did a side by side experiment with Tetris Effect on both the Index and PSVR, swapping the headsets out for comparison. Both my girlfriend and I agree the colour and depth of image was superior on the PSVR. The Index had a sharper image but that’s all.
The PSVR has that sense of wonder, the Index is very dry by comparison.
I’m new here so can’t sell stuff, but I put the Index up on ebay today, had two offers already. Glad I’ll be able to shift it quickly.
Stick to OLED screens, they are essential to the VR experience.

The quest is beautiful. Its my favorite VR screen in many respects. Those deep inky blacks are hard to get over.
I wish Oculus had not hampered it by not allowing us to plug in to a PC.

I do agree what a PSVR is a neccesary purchase given the exclusive library. The Quest improves ANY VR game due to having infinite playspace and no wire.

However we're still stuck for Skyrim VR, ED, Fallout, Lone Echo, Stormland.. which require the TV.

Associate
Got my Index kit in and been playing around.

Pro's:
1. HMD is comfortable, like the extra foam back-head pad.
2. Sound is good. Although not as good sound as my high end IEM's, it's still acceptable and not having anything in or on ones ear is super nice.
3. Although the resolution is the "same" as the Vive Pro, switching to RGB pixels from Pentile has made a nice little clarity bump. This is also resulted in slightly less screen door effect.
4. Liking 144 Hz smoothness.
5. Tracking seems extremely good with the new controllers.
6. The cable is quite a bit longer than my HP Reverb's which is nice.
7. Just slight improvement in perceivable FOV.
8. Controllers are better than the original Vive's, but I still have to get used to this weird angle that you have to point with.

Con's:
1. They sent me an HMD with a bright stuck sub-pixel in the right display visible on black background. Probably going to have to RMA.
2. Definite hit in colors/contrast/black levels going to LCD from OLED. Games just don't have the same "pop".
3. A little bit more motion smear with the LCD panels versus OLED.

I'm modding my Vive Pro with Odyssey+ panels and non-Fresnel lenses so it will be interesting to see which I like better in the end.

Associate
Got my Index kit in and been playing around.

Pro's:
1. HMD is comfortable, like the extra foam back-head pad.
2. Sound is good. Although not as good sound as my high end IEM's, it's still acceptable and not having anything in or on ones ear is super nice.
3. Although the resolution is the "same" as the Vive Pro, switching to RGB pixels from Pentile has made a nice little clarity bump. This is also resulted in slightly less screen door effect.
4. Liking 144 Hz smoothness.
5. Tracking seems extremely good with the new controllers.
6. The cable is quite a bit longer than my HP Reverb's which is nice.
7. Just slight improvement in perceivable FOV.
8. Controllers are better than the original Vive's, but I still have to get used to this weird angle that you have to point with.

Con's:
1. They sent me an HMD with a bright stuck sub-pixel in the right display visible on black background. Probably going to have to RMA.
2. Definite hit in colors/contrast/black levels going to LCD from OLED. Games just don't have the same "pop".
3. A little bit more motion smear with the LCD panels versus OLED.

I'm modding my Vive Pro with Odyssey+ panels and non-Fresnel lenses so it will be interesting to see which I like better in the end.
Compared to the Vive Pro, how is the sweetspot, the Fresnel type rings and the godrays?

Associate
Well, had the email on Friday saying my reservation is now available to buy. Bought it.
Do I get an email or something to track delivery? Had nothing since apart from the email receipt.

Soldato
you'll get a tracking number. Hit that up in Parcel Forces site, and you should see it move from Holland to the UK, to a local dispatch.

View the purchase history in steam, the order should contain the number

*example

Shipping Status: Shipped
Shipped on 25 Jun, 2019 - Tracking #

Associate
you'll get a tracking number. Hit that up in Parcel Forces site, and you should see it move from Holland to the UK, to a local dispatch.

View the purchase history in steam, the order should contain the number

*example

Shipping Status: Shipped
Shipped on 25 Jun, 2019 - Tracking #
Yup this - mine is on its way ordered Saturday, got gls and parcel force number. Just hope controllers are alright with working joysticks.

Soldato
Well, had the email on Friday saying my reservation is now available to buy. Bought it.
Do I get an email or something to track delivery? Had nothing since apart from the email receipt.

I had a reservation come through a couple of days ago. Sadly I refused it because I just can't give Valve money aslong as they're silent on the controller defect that I think they will try to pass off as a feature.

Associate
I had a reservation come through a couple of days ago. Sadly I refused it because I just can't give Valve money aslong as they're silent on the controller defect that I think they will try to pass off as a feature.
Yeah I think this has put quite a few off. I think they will try and stealth this one out silently replacing the controllers that people don't accept. Not great practice. I will see what comes with my kit I can always send back if not happy. Still, valve is still probably more palatable company than facebook (and I have a rift also)

Back
Top Bottom