New valve vr hmd

Soldato
Mines tracked in Coventry depot, about 30 miles away. Ill be checking the status every 10 minutes at work tomorrow, ever ready to jump in the car and bolt home.

A first of anything I've ever pre-ordered in my life, this goes beyond situation normal!!

Soldato
Mines tracked in Coventry depot, about 30 miles away. Ill be checking the status every 10 minutes at work tomorrow, ever ready to jump in the car and bolt home.

A first of anything I've ever pre-ordered in my life, this goes beyond situation normal!!

Did you just get the controllers or the whole package?

Soldato
Did you just get the controllers or the whole package?

Already had a Vive with base stations glued to my wall for 3 years, so hmd and knuckles only. Funny day really, I gets to work at 7.30 and fire up my computer and the tracker had binged to in delivery. Before I left for work I had been refreshing it, only for it to change 5 minutes after id left the house.

Quick fired a few instructions to my minion, told my boss I had to leave and id be back as soon as... Didn't turn up till 14.30, just got home from work. So busy at work, it won't see daylight till the weekend.

bee

bee

Associate
2xyklt.jpg

surprised i got them so early as i only ordered on may 6th!

you don't get much in the box, just some usb leads, a setup guide and a couple of wrist straps, didn't realise they were usb-c though so hope they charge quicker than the vive wands

only really had the chance to test it on the aperture hand demo so far (kinda busy :/ ) but wow are they so so much better than the vive wands, playing rock paper scissors against an ai is surprisngly fun, will test more later or more likely tomorrow

Soldato
Already had a Vive with base stations glued to my wall for 3 years, so hmd and knuckles only. Funny day really, I gets to work at 7.30 and fire up my computer and the tracker had binged to in delivery. Before I left for work I had been refreshing it, only for it to change 5 minutes after id left the house.

Quick fired a few instructions to my minion, told my boss I had to leave and id be back as soon as... Didn't turn up till 14.30, just got home from work. So busy at work, it won't see daylight till the weekend.

That's a pain!! Deliveries always mess up, and there seems to be some unwritten law that the more you are looking forward to something been delivered, the more it gets messed up!!

At least you will have it for the weekend. It's going to be a scorcher though!! Hope you don't melt :p

Will be interesting to hear your views.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I see that the RoadtoVR have a review up for the Index.
Lot of words, but I couldn't help but notice the sentence suggesting that the visual clarity was very similar to the Rift S. Lot of dosh for a widescreen Rift S.

Associate
The Rift S is the better buy, especially if you consider the recent tracking improvements in the 1.39 PTC update. Google it, it's a monumental change! Moreover, you get the best of both worlds with Oculus exclusives and SteamVR. No janky third-party solutions required! Even the audio has been improved since launch. The Index is a premium headset, but it alienates a huge proportion of users with it's substantial cost, in a market that is already very niche. Inside-out tracking is the way forward, and the Rift S has a bright future, especially if the rumoured Microsoft/Xbox partnership is true!

Edit: Even MRTV recommends the Rift S over the Index:

Last edited:
Soldato
How good can the sound really be - can you at least put headphones on and get proper sound quality?

Its easy to add headphones, there is a headphone jack built into the left hand side of the headset.

Just to comment on the inbuilt sound. I think there are such mixed reviews because it really depends on how you wear the headset and that depends on the shape of your head. Because of this the strap might be further away from your ears then it is for other people.

Last edited:
Soldato
Right, Valve Index ordered. My first proper VR headset since the Oculus DK2. I'm not expecting miracles, but it does look like a good HMD and hopefully one to last a while.

Soldato
Ordered, I was in the queue from day 1 and an email popped up saying I could. No order confirmation email yet but it's definitely on order, says despatch in 4-6 days.

Ah, good, I was worried that you only just reserved one and didn't realise that you would be waiting until October to actually receive it!! :)

Soldato
Anyone here had the controller thumbstick issue? Seems a bit bad that such expensive controllers can have dodgy thumbsticks. :(

Have Valve not came back and said the controller issue is not a fault but by design? That you can't click down and change directions.

Soldato
Have Valve not came back and said the controller issue is not a fault but by design? That you can't click down and change directions.

Yep, customer reps have said this is intentional. The thumbstick behaves differently from all other gamepad/VR thumbsticks, so it breaks certain games which rely on the feature. It also varies from controller to controller too.

Back
Top Bottom