MSI MAX motherboards 32Mb ROM

My MSI B450 Mortar has been a pain. The PC runs great....when it boots.
The bios that came out just a couple of days ago seems to be better, but it could just be my initial thoughts.

I have zero concern in MSI removing 1000 and/or 2000 Ryzen support due to BIOS memory size.

I bought MSI because they are usually decent and had the USB flashback feature. I am hoping that better BIOS revisions keep getting released until the issue is soon a distant memory :).

Associate
If I end up with a B450 board I definitely see the Tomahawk Max as my primary choice so its good to see some feedback.
Is anyone running the new MAX with some higher rated ram speeds like 3600+ with no issues?

Associate
OP
So two people with boards and no updates? What are you both doing? And don't say "working" because all you need to is call the boss and cough down on the phone. :p

Chop chop! I need to know if I can order mine...!

everything works perfectly :) what do you wanna know?

Last edited:
Soldato
Just got my motherboard today and went to work straight away .. Its the longest day at work i ever had :D

Looking good. :)

So you went with the Tomahawk MAX after all then. :D

I've been considering whether to wait for the Mortar MAX now, rather than go for the Tomahawk MAX. Extra USB ports would be helpful and the Mortar has optical, which is probably my preferred way to connect my DAC. Trouble is; heck knows when the Mortar MAX will appear. Decisions decisions, :p

Associate
I'm kinda leaning towards the msi x470 gaming pro as its currently only £10 more (£109.97) than the b450 tomahawk (with extra usb ports, pcie lanes and 2 * m.2 slots with the second being gen2 pcie). The rest of the specs seem identical or better.
I'm just waiting for the max version to drop before I decide.
Anyone have any experience with the x470 gaming pro?

Soldato
I'm kinda leaning towards the msi x470 gaming pro as its currently only £10 more (£109.97) than the b450 tomahawk (with extra usb ports, pcie lanes and 2 * m.2 slots with the second being gen2 pcie). The rest of the specs seem identical or better.
I'm just waiting for the max version to drop before I decide.
Anyone have any experience with the x470 gaming pro?
The X470 gaming pro doesn't have flashback support though so you might need a CPU to flash the board.

Soldato
everything works perfectly :) what do you wanna know?

Awesome, so no issues with booting, FW etc? a lot of the issues with the current (non MAX) boards seem to be people having issues with it powering up. The concern was, despite the RAM increase, that the BIOS still wasn't in a stable state.

Time to warm up that credit card then.

Soldato
I am wondering what to do with my b450 Mortar. Are MSI genuinely swapping them for free to max versions? Or do I just return it to the etailer I bought it from?

I can't see MSI offering a swap service themselves; at least it's not something I've heard of anyway. I'm sure I sure someone post a link to Reddit where MSI said return the board to the place where it was bought for a MAX version of that board. I guess the issue is that if the board has been used, that might incur some restocking fee.

Whether it's worth returning the board and waiting for a Mortar MAX (assuming you need mATX), I suppose depends on what your experience is with the Mortar you have (assuming you have used it) and whether you'd be willing to pay a possible restocking fee then wait for the Mortar MAX to be released.

If you've not used the board, then it might be an idea to return it, but it might be quite a wait for the Mortar MAX, if you do need mATX.

Associate
I would not be too concerned about waiting for or getting the MAX. If both boards are available and at the same price then may as well get the MAX but realise that the only difference is the large bios chips which basically only allows all older CPU's (which most people don't have) to be supported as the same time as new chips.

If you're getting a new Ryzen CPU then just get which ever board is available and cheapest as they will behave exactly the same way.

Tomahawk Max has improvments of USB 3.2 over 3.1 ? and pushing memory support up to 4133 by A-XMP oc mode, extended bios, other than the colours look slightly different from what i can see the Max is black rather than the dark grey, they are very similar

Associate
Tomahawk Max has improvments of USB 3.2 over 3.1 ? and pushing memory support up to 4133 by A-XMP oc mode, extended bios, other than the colours look slightly different from what i can see the Max is black rather than the dark grey, they are very similar

The usb is the same as far as i'm aware, just reflecting the recent ridiculous renaming of usb versions

Soldato
any ideas of when the mortar max will be landing? Ta :)

I don't think anyone knows, other than what MSI posted on Reddit; between 3rd and 4th quarter.

That suggests it could be as late as the end of September.

I was considering going for the Mortar MAX, but I'm not sure I want to wait if it's going to be another four to six weeks.

Last edited:
Associate
I texted yesterday to MSI UK with little hopes for a response about the release date for the Mortar MAX here in the UK.

They responded quicker than expert Ed and they also gave me a nice surprise. Thumbs up for MSI.

Hi x,

Thank you for your email and support to MSI.

I have checked with our team about the availability of our MORTAR MAX motherboard in the UK market. It should be available in the UK on week of 26th Aug. Hope this helps.

Again thanks a lot for your support to MSI. Have a lovely day.

Best regards,

MSI UK team (Desktop/Monitor/Mother board/Graphics card/Gaming gear)

Soldato
Got my motherboard everything up and running what updates/ software should I download? Also I have Phanteks P600s case which has fan controller my case has 3 fans but one cable coming out of it which header on the do I plug it into?

Also in the bios it say current DRAM Frequency: 2133, but the xmp profile says 3200MHz ?

Last edited:
Associate
I texted yesterday to MSI UK with little hopes for a response about the release date for the Mortar MAX here in the UK.

They responded quicker than expert Ed and they also gave me a nice surprise. Thumbs up for MSI.

Hi x,

Thank you for your email and support to MSI.

I have checked with our team about the availability of our MORTAR MAX motherboard in the UK market. It should be available in the UK on week of 26th Aug. Hope this helps.

Again thanks a lot for your support to MSI. Have a lovely day.

Best regards,

MSI UK team (Desktop/Monitor/Mother board/Graphics card/Gaming gear)

This is what I was told too, hopefully they stick to their word.

Back
Top Bottom