NY Trip - Hotel Choices

nam

nam

Soldato
Hi All
I will be in NY for 4 days 29 Aug-2 Sept, been around 10 years since i was there last. I am looking for somewhere central to stay and near shops, diner/cafe's for early morning breakfasts.

Any recommendations i assume £600 for 4 days is too little ?

Soldato
Stayed at The Park Central & The Manhattan at Times Square, both located on 7th Avenue between Central Park and Times Square, The Park Central is opposite Carnegie Hall. Short walk time the dump which is Times Square and about 10 mins from Rockefeller Centre. Plenty of Subway stations around midtown which makes it really easy to go anywhere.

Caporegime
I stayed in Hotel Pennsylvania directly opposite the train station. Reasonably priced but the rooms were nice and clean and it was close to everything in midtown Manhattan.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Stayed in the Hyatt Centric Tines Square a couple of times.

Rooms were really nice, and a decent bar up on the top floor (wasn’t cheap though).

Location wise, as much as I hate Times Square itself, it was a good base for everything.

Associate
Sadly hotels in New York are ridiculously expensive - you might catch a last minute deal somewhere, but you'll be looking at 100+ per night easily. I just did a quick check on a popular hotels website and 4 nights at a decent place is going to be just under the £800. Check across a few of the hotel sites for best rates (and check the hotel's site itself, sometimes they're cheaper).
Try and get a hotel near a subway station - you'll be doing a load of walking anyway, the last thing you'll want to be doing at the end of the day is another 20 minute hike to your hotel.
I'd advise against staying outside of Manhattan - it's not that much cheaper and you'll be stuck with all the other commuters in the morning/evening. You want to be straight up and into Manhattan in the morning!
Take the reviews on Tripadvisor/Yelp with a pinch of salt. There seems to be loads that get bad reviews simply because the furniture wasn't to their liking or there wasn't ice available one evening...
Few hotels that I've been to that I can recommend: the Pod hotels (small rooms but you don't need anything massive, you won't be staying in your room!), Hotel 31, The New Yorker, The Pennsylvania, Herald Square Hotel, Sheraton Tribeca and 4 Points.

Soldato
Stayed at The Park Central & The Manhattan at Times Square, both located on 7th Avenue between Central Park and Times Square, The Park Central is opposite Carnegie Hall. Short walk time the dump which is Times Square and about 10 mins from Rockefeller Centre. Plenty of Subway stations around midtown which makes it really easy to go anywhere.
I can also recommend park central, stayed there over Christmas in 2015

Associate
You also picked labour day weekend which probably doesn't help with prices. I've stayed in the The Roger which normally works out around $200 a night and its pretty central without too close to times square

Soldato

I also stayed at the Hampton Inn - Times Square North (£150 a night) and it was a decent Hotel, great access to Hells kitchen & Times Square/Rockafeller but being realistic with what you get for your money, the room is OK but average rather than imagining some mind-blowing penthouse suite!

Soldato
Stayed at a place called Distrikt in May 2017 which was pretty good, and right by the Port Authority bus terminal, a 2 minute walk from Times Square. Remember the price being pretty good for the locale too, and that was during the school holiday season as my wife’s a teacher, so we have to pay through the nose for our holidays. :(

Soldato
Can recommend Carvi Hotel, Staybridge Suites and the Hampton Inn Times Square North. All reasonable hotels in good locations. Carvi is a bit more out of the way as it's further east than times square, but lovely town house type location and quite near 5th, so good for shopping and restaurants.

Soldato
When the Wife and I went in 2015, we stayed in the Marrakech hotel (103 St Broadway) - probably should have researched it more, as it was apparently in Harlem; had a transit worker once remark "damn, you stayin' in the hood" :D

Wasn't too shabby actually, other than a couple of fatal shootings a few blocks up the road - walking around the area towards central park just reminded me of Swindon, but there were plenty of sidewalk cafes and whatnot.

Next time we go, I'm going somewhere between mid/lower Manhattan.

Associate
Adding my 2 cents; I stayed in Brooklyn and it was fine commuting. Generally we were leaving to get into manhatten after rush hour (9-10sih) and coming back later in the evening than rush hour. It was never an issue. I can recommend being near a subway station though.

I can't really recommend our hotel, while it was fine for what we needed it's also somewhere we later found out from reviews that rents out rooms by the hour, if you get my drift. Still, it was cheap and accessible.
Id probably prefer actually being in manhatten, but mainly because i'm lazy, i also didnt want to pay the price of an entire European holiday for just the accommodation in NYC

Man of Honour
I booked a hotel for two weeks at the Roosevelt Hotel, New York. A few weeks ago I tried to find something a little cheaper but nothing much was going. Not sure what's going on in the second week I'm there.. the over night rates are triple.

Associate
I have stayed at POD51 a number of times and can recommend it based on location. I was there for work, not a as a tourist though it seemed pretty central to me.
The rooms are very sparse, but comfortable. You’re not going to be spending a lot of time in there awake anyway.

Back
Top Bottom