Best supermarket 'pizza counter' pizza?

Caporegime
Our local Tesco has just closed its pizza counter which is a little annoying. Not too keen on their premade pizzas either. I think we'll try buying some premade bases and create our own.
why not just make your own base with flour, water, olive oil, salt, yeast.

takes like 10minutes kneading, 20mins waiting for it to rise, 5mins stretching it to shape or just rolling pin it and wait awhile for it to puff up a bit after.
You could do like 1kg of flour, separate it in to balls and stick what you don't need in the fridge or freezer (actually tastes soo much better if you leave the dough in the fridge over night or for 24hours)
the premade bases always taste weird even the refrigerated ones that you just have to unroll and use.

if you want to be lazy your probably going to get a better tasting pizza just buying a frozen cheese one and adding some toppings.

I kinda like the iceland sweet chilli chicken pizzas they have a pretty nice base for a frozen pizza

Associate
I do make my own at weekends and they do taste great but we have pizza during the week now and again so need something quick as there just isn't the time to make the dough. I've always avoided frozen pizza as I think dough doesn't taste the same once frozen and thawed. Maybe I'll give them another go now the supermarket counter is out of the equation.

Soldato
Our local Tesco has just closed its pizza counter which is a little annoying. Not too keen on their premade pizzas either. I think we'll try buying some premade bases and create our own.

They've removed all counters from 90 stores and potentially only part timing the remaining 700 with counters.

Money money money. Individual service is expensive compared to unpacking items onto shelves or rolling out a bulk pallet.

I do make my own at weekends and they do taste great but we have pizza during the week now and again so need something quick as there just isn't the time to make the dough. I've always avoided frozen pizza as I think dough doesn't taste the same once frozen and thawed. Maybe I'll give them another go now the supermarket counter is out of the equation.

Supermarket counter pizza bases come in frozen. As does the cheese and some of the toppings. They need overnight defrosting before use.

Soldato
They've removed all counters from 90 stores and potentially only part timing the remaining 700 with counters.

Explains what happened to our Tesco then, I do like the fresh pizza counter but as I don't always go when it's open I guess it's more of a treat now.

They're head and shoulders above the local kebab shop, which I suppose isn't much of an achievement in itself.

Soldato
Asdas CYO Thin crust are fine, but the deep pan dough is way too spongy.

Although it's not a supermarket pizza, Chicago Town takeaway pizzas are sold in supermarkets and the sloppy joe is magnificent with a few slices of pepperoni added.

The double pepperoni with stuffed crust is the best! Most stuffed crusts on pizza tends to be cheesy garlic which i'm not a fan of, the CT ones have a tomato based sauce in the crusts. Although they are far from healthy! :D i think it was something like 600-700 calories for half a pizza!

Back on topic, we normally only get CYO from Asda, have tried Sainsburys ones a few times when it's been convenient, and i don't think our local Tesco megastore does them - or at least i've not seen them. They're normally quite good pizzas for the price you're paying.

Associate
I got a pizza from an Italian restaurant once that had an egg cracked on top and left whole. It had the look of a fried egg. Can't say I've ever wished for it since. I don't mind a breakfast pizza thought with bacon, onion, mushroom, sliced sausage and a lightly whisked egg drizzled on top.

Caporegime
M&S and Waitrose will be number 1 with Morrisons and Extra special range in Asda number 2.

I never buy from the counter. It's likely to be worse than the mass made ones and you have no idea of the hygiene practices of the staff on the counter. Whereas I'm hoping the mass made ones are done mainly by machine or in warehouses where staff are head to toe in sanitised clothing and wearing gloves, etc and the ingredients are controlled far more tightly.

Soldato
M&S and Waitrose will be number 1 with Morrisons and Extra special range in Asda number 2.

I never buy from the counter. It's likely to be worse than the mass made ones and you have no idea of the hygiene practices of the staff on the counter. Whereas I'm hoping the mass made ones are done mainly by machine or in warehouses where staff are head to toe in sanitised clothing and wearing gloves, etc and the ingredients are controlled far more tightly.

You don't know and can't see but you hope/believe the factory/workers are more hygienic than the workers you can see?

The ones made and sold from the counter are not older than 1 day since being prepared. Or you can watch them make one for you.

That's a + for hygiene concerns as bacteria needs time to multiply into a health hazard as well as suitable conditions.

But what really causes a problem for bacteria is that pizzas are treated as uncooked food and get heavily toasted in an oven before consumption. That's also why it's ok to make pizza with bare hands but not use bare hands to serve ready to eat food.

Caporegime
You don't know and can't see but you hope/believe the factory/workers are more hygienic than the workers you can see?

The ones made and sold from the counter are not older than 1 day since being prepared. Or you can watch them make one for you.

That's a + for hygiene concerns as bacteria needs time to multiply into a health hazard as well as suitable conditions.

But what really causes a problem for bacteria is that pizzas are treated as uncooked food and get heavily toasted in an oven before consumption. That's also why it's ok to make pizza with bare hands but not use bare hands to serve ready to eat food.

well whilst at uni i had a mate who worked in pizza hut and some of the stories i've heard is enough to make you stop eating there.

tbh i hardly ever buy pizza i have both an indoor and outdoor pizza oven. the outdoor one can hit 500c i don't know about the indoor one but it's really hot too. got it imported from italy. so i make fresh pizza from scratch. i even have a basil plant in the kitchen. the only thing i buy ready made is mozzarella

Soldato
Had a Sainsburys hot pizza for lunch a few weeks ago which was nice but a bit stringy on the cheese, probably needed to cook a little while longer because of the amount of cheese on it, I had to do that multiple bite thing. I don't like pizza's drowned in cheese. Had an ASDA one yesterday for tea which I cooked right at the top of the oven and it came out pretty good and was nice.

Usually I just throw the pizza in middle shelf and come back 20mins later and the base overcooks waiting for the toppings.

Back
Top Bottom