Best supermarket 'pizza counter' pizza?

Soldato
I must admit it's not something I buy terribly often, only if I'm in there buying some beer and madness takes hold.

But on balance I don't dismind the sainsburys effort, they even give you a free box so you needn't bother with washing up anything except a knife/ pizza cutter.

Soldato
But on balance I don't dismind the sainsburys effort, they even give you a free box so you needn't bother with washing up anything except a knife/ pizza cutter.

They'll even bake them in my local store.

But I have to agree with others, the bases are very thick and spongy.

It's a shame no one makes good pizza bases. It's much nicer to make your own but very time consuming.

Associate
i shop at ASDA and have my own pizzas made nearly every saturday. always go stone-baked base, always. i think they're great, but then i always get the same thing.

oh and if you get the right person on the counter you could get a huge pile of toppings like i did today. :)

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the many, many replies.

Popped in Asda today and bought a stone baked and a deep pan 'sizzlers', 10", since 2 for £4.

Also purchased one of those pizza tray thingies for the oven.

Soldato
My tesco doesn't do the make your own pizza. I sometimes buy chicago town frozen when they are on a good offer. Same with pizza express ones. Tesco finest pizza is quite good.

Associate
My cousin had maggots on his Tesco pizza!! Asda and Salisbury's are okay, nothing like the real thing though.

Soldato
Not a fan of Sainsburys or Tesco pizza counter pizza. ASDA's are great though

There are two kinds of Sainsburys pizza counters.

There's the original one which sells pizza using a pizza base which is essentially a disk shaped loaf of bread. It has a crumb like an actual sandwich bread. This comes in thick/thin and two sizes of each.

Then there's the upgraded one which uses 2 sizes of sourdough bases of one thickness, (basically thin) more like a real pizza base. Then the topping selection is different to the one available to the original setups. This counter is more expensive than the original also.

If you are able to get a pizza with a base 3/4" thick it's the old style sainsburys pizza counter.

Last edited:
Soldato
Love the thread necro.

It's Asda make your own for me, my local Asda does great pizzas.

For takeaway I have been enjoying the relatively new Pizza Hut takeaway down the road, not had a bad pizza yet. Dominos is good but always the most expensive, I'm also a fan of Papa Johns too and will have one occasionally.

Associate
Our local Tesco has just closed its pizza counter which is a little annoying. Not too keen on their premade pizzas either. I think we'll try buying some premade bases and create our own.

Back
Top Bottom