The Royals

Man of Honour
She's a figurehead who wields no real political power. She usually goes along with the wishes of the Prime Minister.

True, but what does that have to do with the post you quoted? The last time a monarch openly and formally used royal power in a political way was over 300 years ago (denied royal assent to a law), although a monarch used royal power in politics openly but informally in 1832 (coerced the house of lords into passing the first reform act). I'm aware of these things.

Soldato
so you don't think the Queen should abdicate, like Japan, or Pope benedict, and let Charles re-invent the monarchy,
unless he is obliged to supress his views on the evironment/farming at least that is a viewpoint, as opposed to the nostalic speech from the Qe2 once a year.

Caporegime
so you don't think the Queen should abdicate, like Japan, or Pope benedict, and let Charles re-invent the monarchy,
unless he is obliged to supress his views on the evironment/farming at least that is a viewpoint, as opposed to the nostalic speech from the Qe2 once a year.
Some say Charles should give it a miss and let William become King, but I doubt he'd do that. He's waited a long, long time to become King, I'd imagine he'd want to do it, even if just for a few years before abdicating and allowing William to modernise the monarchy.

Soldato
I'm sure that Rees-Mogg and Bonker Boris would agree with you but that seems not to have been the case in more evolved societies such as Spain, Holland and Japan.
Ah yes, that incredibly evolved society of SPAIN :D

I think what you're doing here is confusing your own fantasies (lol again by the way - you care THIS much) and the reality. Not only is it reality but I'm afraid to say it's the likely course long after you and I are gone. Sorry.

Permabanned
Prince Philip is my favourite. I love his unPC rants when on state tours.

Then HM and Prince Charles.

Andrew Anne and Edward are non-descript.

If Harry wasn't good looking he wouldn't get the attention that he does.

Just resurrect Charles II, Henry VIII, and John. Things would be lively at least.

Soldato
Prince Philip is my favourite. I love his unPC rants when on state tours.

Then HM and Prince Charles.

Andrew Anne and Edward are non-descript.

If Harry wasn't good looking he wouldn't get the attention that he does.

Just resurrect Charles II, Henry VIII, and John. Things would be lively at least.
Welcome troll. Enjoy your stay. What's your usual username?

Permabanned
Britain only retains the monarchy since it hasn't had the revolutions of France, Germany or others.
Personally I dont' care either way. I accept it's a central part of our culture as a country. But if they were abolished tomorrow, and the Queen had to call herself Mrs. Windsor for the remainder of her life, I wouldn't be bothered.

Soldato
Britain only retains the monarchy since it hasn't had the revolutions of France, Germany or others.
Personally I dont' care either way. I accept it's a central part of our culture as a country. But if they were abolished tomorrow, and the Queen had to call herself Mrs. Windsor for the remainder of her life, I wouldn't be bothered.
Did you make that account just for this thread? How lame.

Soldato
I like the bickering in this discussion, when everyone forgets that the last 300 years the monarchs are of German descent, and changed their name just in 1917.

Charles II was the last native male "British" monarch (Scottish), his niece Queen Anne was the last female British monarch. (her husband was Dutch)
Making Elizabeth I the last female native English monarch, and her father Henry VIII the last native English male monarch.

And if we got tad back, Richard III was the last of the Plantagenet ruling this land for 300 years with family roots to William I in 1066

Back
Top Bottom