• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
I am pretty sure all this boosting thing has to do with motherboard BIOS, and versions. I think it was Hardware Unboxed that tried the same CPUs in different boards and the chip would boost differently depending what board it was on.

Associate
The data is all very hard to use. That was not a controlled test as there were x amount of variables that either not the same or unknown. I put a post on reddit but I would take this video with a grain of salt. The best example I can give to throw a wrench into the results is cool n quiet. With cool n quiet my highest boost was 4525 but with it on it is 4350. How many other people people had this feature on and how did it change their results? Ambient room temperature, cpu cooler, etc etc will all influence the results that people get. I get that he is trying figure out what is happening but bad data will not help, it will just enrage the mob even more.

Associate
The data is all very hard to use. That was not a controlled test as there were x amount of variables that either not the same or unknown. I put a post on reddit but I would take this video with a grain of salt. The best example I can give to throw a wrench into the results is cool n quiet. With cool n quiet my highest boost was 4525 but with it on it is 4350. How many other people people had this feature on and how did it change their results? Ambient room temperature, cpu cooler, etc etc will all influence the results that people get. I get that he is trying figure out what is happening but bad data will not help, it will just enrage the mob even more.
Absolutely. The fact that he had to go through each entry to condition the data showed how uncontrolled it is. Junk in, junk out. I applaud his attempt and knowledge of statistical analysis but the execution was lacking.
Solve that and then you get to your point, or simply frame the results in the context of "real world variation of setups and settings" which would be helpful for AMD and customers.

No news on the 3950x? The rumored 7th release date is looking less likely then?

Associate
There's no cool'n'quiet on my board. Under water with 55c load temps the boosts are still nowhere near.

That is my point, one bios setting massively changed my results. I played with the windows/amd balanced power plan and I get different results. My own home testing points towards a bios and not the hardware and this is supported by the Hardware Unboxed video. At least the Hardware Unboxed video was a controlled scenario with results that could be verified.

Associate
I doubt that. Also a good 9700k can do 5.2/5.3 on air. Mine does.

If gaming is all you need, 9700k is the best and quite a big cheaper now. Saw $300 in the US.

The video source I provided shows the 3800x @ 4.5GHz with SMT off being more or less equal in games to the 9700k. 1-2 frames either way. Was looking for other sources not for ppl to ignore the video source and say no. Also only 9 per cent of 9700k will hit 5.2GHz and only the top 1% will hit 5.3GHz. https://siliconlottery.com/pages/statistics So you are stating that 9% of 9700k's are faster and most ppl wont hit that so the 9700k is still better? AVX2 Frequency 5GHz to 5.1GHz is the maximum for 9700k. If you don't like the 3800x there is easier ways to attack it. For example hitting 4.5GHz is very unlikely with safe voltages SMT off and 4.4GHz all cores overclock with smt is very unlikely too. This is within 1.325volts vcore.

Last edited:
Associate
I’ve recommended the new AMD lineup plenty and glad to see it Doing well. With that said if someone wanted a pure gaming PC, the 9700k is what I’d recommend. If you only plan to play a couple of games, look them up and get what’s best. For a broader range of games, intel generally performs better.

Back
Top Bottom