Anyone stocking up on canned food etc.. Brexit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Commissario
Just like previous hotter summers where you couldn't buy or find fans or the winters with lots of snow where nobody has snow shovels until April/May.

And you've possibly just made the point as to why buying stuff in advance, when there isn't a shortage is better than waiting until there is a shortage in supply ;)

We buy things like fans when they're in the sale after summer, or before the heat hits when you can get them easily, we buy things like grit for the path either when it first goes on sale, or when the shops are trying to get rid of it (things like snow shovels get kept even if we haven't needed them for 5 years, as they don't take any space and can be left at the back of the shed/garage for years without coming to harm).

If you take basic precautions in advance of a possible issue, you can save yourself a lot of trouble later on.
It's like backing up your mobile phone's pictures and contact lists before you drop it in the toilet, or lose it, or backing up your important computer stuff on a second drive before you find you can't get your computer to boot due to a failing drive or a virus.

Soldato
And you've possibly just made the point as to why buying stuff in advance, when there isn't a shortage is better than waiting until there is a shortage in supply ;)

We buy things like fans when they're in the sale after summer, or before the heat hits when you can get them easily, we buy things like grit for the path either when it first goes on sale, or when the shops are trying to get rid of it (things like snow shovels get kept even if we haven't needed them for 5 years, as they don't take any space and can be left at the back of the shed/garage for years without coming to harm).

If you take basic precautions in advance of a possible issue, you can save yourself a lot of trouble later on.
It's like backing up your mobile phone's pictures and contact lists before you drop it in the toilet, or lose it, or backing up your important computer stuff on a second drive before you find you can't get your computer to boot due to a failing drive or a virus.
Tell us what provisions you have in your larder for Brexit then.

Commissario
Tell us what provisions you have in your larder for Brexit then.
Basically 2-4 weeks of canned and dried stuff, in the event of there being some short term disruption.

As I've said before, I tend to keep 1-2 weeks worth anyway as health issues and looking at elderly family has meant in the past that it's been hard to get out at times, I learned to keep spares in the cupboards (especially as even with home deliveries it's not uncommon for some items to go out of stock on the day of delivery if there is an offer on or the weather has been bad).
The thing is, if you've got a few weeks of dried/canned staples it doesn't cost you anything as you'll eat them anyway.

I wouldn't even say it's "stockpiling" just being cautious, in exactly the same way you keep a couple of torches and spare batteries handy for a power cut, or the breakdown kit in the car - I may have only needed to change a wheel at the roadside twice in 20 odd years, but that doesn't mean I'm not taking high vis vests, a decent jack, and a long breaker bar with the correct socket for my wheels in the boot ;)

Caporegime
This reminds me of the 2K thing.

Nothing happened then. And nothing will happen now.

A decade of prep will do that to you, have we had a decade of prep? no.

It also costed several HUNDRED billion dollars to fix, have we spent several hundred billion dollars? no.

Associate
What is the downside to having to having a few weeks of food stashed away? None that I can see. Either Brexit happens smoothly and there are no shortages and I just eat my supplies or (more likely in my opinion) we get a no deal brexit and there are shortages. I'm in Scotland and know many people who are putting together an emergency supply of food. Probably because most Scots have come to the conclusion that Westminster couldn't care less about us. If there are shortages England will be the priority in regard to ensuring supplies reach the shops.

Soldato
I don't understand these people who stop off at Tesco Express almost every night because they're constantly running out of food for tea.

I want to eat fresh food and be able to decide what I want to eat when I want to eat it. Plus the Tesco Extra is just a 5 minute walk away.

V F

V F

Soldato

Motors in fans don't fail? Considering they mostly get used 3 months or less in a year. I never said I was short of snow shovels but it was all over the news years ago. Same goes for the shortage of grit that people were even emptying other street salt bins that all ended up empty.

The question I'd like to know is what the hell are people doing taking phones into the toilet...

Soldato
Basically 2-4 weeks of canned and dried stuff, in the event of there being some short term disruption.

As I've said before, I tend to keep 1-2 weeks worth anyway as health issues and looking at elderly family has meant in the past that it's been hard to get out at times, I learned to keep spares in the cupboards (especially as even with home deliveries it's not uncommon for some items to go out of stock on the day of delivery if there is an offer on or the weather has been bad).
The thing is, if you've got a few weeks of dried/canned staples it doesn't cost you anything as you'll eat them anyway.

I wouldn't even say it's "stockpiling" just being cautious, in exactly the same way you keep a couple of torches and spare batteries handy for a power cut, or the breakdown kit in the car - I may have only needed to change a wheel at the roadside twice in 20 odd years, but that doesn't mean I'm not taking high vis vests, a decent jack, and a long breaker bar with the correct socket for my wheels in the boot ;)

So you have stocked pretty much what any normal person has stocked, brexit or no brexit.

A decade of prep will do that to you, have we had a decade of prep? no.

It also costed several HUNDRED billion dollars to fix, have we spent several hundred billion dollars? no.

What is the downside to having to having a few weeks of food stashed away? None that I can see. Either Brexit happens smoothly and there are no shortages and I just eat my supplies or (more likely in my opinion) we get a no deal brexit and there are shortages. I'm in Scotland and know many people who are putting together an emergency supply of food. Probably because most Scots have come to the conclusion that Westminster couldn't care less about us. If there are shortages England will be the priority in regard to ensuring supplies reach the shops.

What have you pair done to prepare? Stockpiled yet?

Soldato

Obviously those with Chest Freezers in the garage *cough ah crap* are susceptible to power cuts.

We're buying a little extra each delivered shop; extra 1KG of Rice, few Sauces, bags of frozen quorn products on sale; jars of dried pasta. We must have around 60L of mineral water now. :eek:

Soldato
Obviously those with Chest Freezers in the garage *cough ah crap* are susceptible to power cuts.

We're buying a little extra each delivered shop; extra 1KG of Rice, few Sauces, bags of frozen quorn products on sale; jars of dried pasta. We must have around 60L of mineral water now. :eek:
But why the water? Is it because it's mineral water, or are you genuinely concerned about your water supply post-brexit?

Associate
I don't have a few weeks space to stash food, I live above a small Tesco and typically buy fresh food for that day..

Associate
Hi guys, I wondered if any of you are going to stock up on canned food etc because of Brexit?
The main problem, if any, won't be long shelf life items. More likely to affect, again IF, fresh produce. But as must have the chicken, beef, carrots, potatoes, etc which I buy are British, can't see a problem.
The area were should be a concern, is medication. But unless the government is incompetent, shouldn't be a problem, as the whole process is going on for so long...

Associate
If things get too bad Trump will air drop chlorinated chicken and remainers will probably all starve to death because they only eat overpriced goods from the EU's protectionist single market, who won't care about them once we've left and stopped funding them.
Any one sensible won't eat most of the stuff produced in the USA.
Better off sticking with the fruits, vegetables, dairy and meat produced in the UK.
The protectionist single market allows the regular family to afford different food, as allowed, at least until now, European companies to operate from here.
The whole Brexit has positive and negative points, but none of the involved sides actually exposed them.
Would be better invest for the hundreds of millions of pounds promised to the NHS in chlorine-washed chicken, or even use the money raised with the sale of the NHS to some american company. Sure will be a stellar service then.
Few weeks back, the savior of the UK already tipped that any deal with the UK should offer the NHS in the package. Open your eyes, children.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom