** NEW LG MONITORS - INCLUDING 2 EXCLUSIVE TO OCUK!!! **

Associate
Oh boy. Those of you who are waiting for the monitor you are in for a treat. It's gorgeous. It's very early to say more (only had it for 10 minutes or so) but at least it looks like there are no stuck pixels and no BLB. Not sure if there are any tests I should be running. Colors are fantastic. Going from a 23" 1080p 60Hz Dell from 2011 to this is game changing. I did have a 144Hz monitor before though.

Unfortunately I can't game today because my 780 won't be enough for 1440p, hopefully my 5700 XT Nitro+ will be here tomorrow for a weekend full of gaming, like the old days.

God I missed 144hz so much, here I am scrolling up and down for no good reason just because there is no ghosting :)

Soldato
Early indications so far exceed what I expected by a large margin. What has shocked me the most is the brightness and colours which I didn’t expect to see much difference in. I came from a Dell U7111 2560 x 1440, 12-bit internal processing enables 1.07 billon colours, 110% colour gamut. Brightness: 350 cd/m2 which on paper sounds similar to the LG.

Do monitors lose a lot of brightness over the years? Side by side the U7111 is positively dull in comparison even at 100% brightness. Despite both being rated the same the LG feels over twice as bright. The whites are so white the U7111 looks pale side by side. Similar specs yet the colours are so much better and brighter on the LG.

Next I ran an ancient program that splits the screen in half and runs the same moving image on the left and right and you can independently change the FPS. I set left at 60fps and right at 100fps. Clear as day difference. Next came 100fps left, 144fps right not as noticeable but still clear.

The Dell U7111 looked great by itself. Whites looked white. It wasn’t until I ran it side by side that just how bad it was showed up.

Possible little light bleed on bottom left but I cannot see it in general usage so far. Think I will have to lower the brightness a bit.

EDIT: I was a little worried about the thin border but its no problem. Also the LG looks sharper then the Dell U7111. Running at default settings.

Soldato
How can you run it at 100% brightness??? I dropped mine to 20%.
I was running my U7111 at 50% brightness but I just bumped it up to 100% and its still miles behind the LG. Which surprised me as both are rated at Brightness: 350 cd/m2. I agree the LG at 100% is too much, still playing with settings but I should settle on lower.

Associate
wow, using 100% brightness, I can just imagine the "joy" for eyes :D I am using 17 brightness on TN panel lol :D 100-120cd/m2 is more than enough and also relieve for eyes ;)

Associate
Any suggestions on which monitor arm to buy. I read somewhere that certain ones won't fit properly.
I use an NB North Bayou F80 I just had to trim the edges of it to fit using a small angle grinder, then just sprayed it. Inexpensive arm and very strong

I was running my U7111 at 50% brightness but I just bumped it up to 100% and its still miles behind the LG. Which surprised me as both are rated at Brightness: 350 cd/m2. I agree the LG at 100% is too much, still playing with settings but I should settle on lower.

100% is way too bright, I use mine at 60%. 120 cdm is far too low

RSR

RSR

Soldato
@NikTheSHNIK @Alice Gibbs

I would like some answers please!

I have receieved my screen after ordering it on July 15th and its damaged! To say I am properly ****** is a understatement

Do I now have to wait to Decemeber for a replacement? If so you can take the bloody thing back

Soldato
The QC on these displays are so poor LG should be ashamed with these. Multiple reports of damage on the screen before anyones even taken it out of the box. They must be shipping them with thin air as packing.

Soldato
Mine arrived today, just got it set up, anyone else experiencing flickering/strobing of the display?

*EDIT*

To clarify, If I connect it via a Displayport cable then the screen has really bad flickering, like so bad I have to turn my head and change settings on another screen bad, no settings seem to fix this.

If I connect via HDMI then that gets rid of the flickering, unless I enable HDMI compatibility setting which engages the flickering. However HDMI has an issue of its own, if I turn Freesync on on the monitor then the refresh rate gets capped at 100Hz, turn it off and refresh goes all the way to 144Hz :S

Last edited:
Associate
Since getting back into having a PC gaming I've been looking at getting a 144 hz monitor to match up with my 5700 XT.
I never knew it would be so much of a problem as I've been staring at a 2009 27" iMac for the past ten years and still find that to be way better than most of the other monitors I've seen, though I confess I've not yet used a 144 hz one.

We use Dell P and U series 24" and 27" monitors at work and whilst they're pretty good for day to day use, don't have the colour, contrast, or brightness of a 10 year old model.
This, along with the multiple reports of having to play the IPS lottery and horrendous QC issues from the manufactuers has kept me on target display mode for a bit longer.

Here's hoping the newly announced LG 27GL83A may improve the situation regarding availability.

Back
Top Bottom