• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
I'm one of the 1% in this case, I love my EVGA 2080 ti XC Ultra, and will be pre ordering the first chance I get for the new ti version from EVGA.

Even at 1440p, it's tough getting top games to cap out at 144fps. Borderlands 3 for example, 90fps average??? Not the best.

Soldato
Mostly old games like Civ5 and RTW.

Sadly the games that use Ray Tracing don't have the gameplay older games seem to have.

Still 2 of the best strategy games of all time :)

Always have them installed on my system too, though RTW 2 for me. I just love the map too much, it's so gorgeous, especially around Egypt.

Caporegime
Eh, the Bitcoin bubble raised the Share price, the collapse of Bitcoin lowered the share price, especially when investors learned that Nvidia still had loads of Pascal cards in stock. That's what actually happened, not your makey up thing about Turing been a financial failure.

Said investors still had enough faith in what Nvidia was selling that the Share price didn't actually fall that much, it was still at a higher price than the first year of Pascal sales. If you are going purely off the Share price, then the first year of Turing has been a lot more successful than the first year of Pascal.

Indeed, the other factor that affected Nvidia share price was the realistion that self-driving cars were still quite a few years off so Nvidias HPC, DL and embedded sales forecast was reduced.

Nvida's share price rocketed on the promises of deap learning and especially self-driving cars, it was hyped up to unrealistic levels. Share to profit rations were ridiculous. All that has happened was a correction to realistic growth forecasts.

Bitcoin bubble and a realistic forecast for HPC made for an expected correction. Turing actually had pretty low impact on the share price. It might have been slightly higher with a stronger product but investors were not concerned since Nvidia still dominated the space and had little competition as well as a clear technological lead.

Soldato
Supposed Ampere leaks from a board partner

Since the beginning of this month Nvidia has been giving out the technical paper work about the upcoming Ampere GPU's, partners will be receiving the first reference boards and silicon by the end of this month.

Ampere should please just about everybody, some of the big points that we had communicated to us:

-Significant raster performance increases (higher than Turing gains)

-Massive RT performance increases

-Expanded Vram capacity on the full range of SKU's.

-Dialed down TDP's on many cards in the range (high end remains unchanged at 250w)

-Increased core clocks (healthy 100-200mhz bump over Turing)

That ends the good news.

Bad/neutral news:

-Prices, unchanged on the most popular cards, slight decreases on the unpopular ones. (x80ti and x80's will see a price drop, while x70's and beneath will remain UNCHANGED)

-Overclocking, core clocks stock will be higher than ever, 100-200mhz higher depending on SKU, however this does not mean the 2100-2200mhz ambient cooling upper limit of frequency will be broken when overclocking, which brings me to the next point.

-Voltage limits decreased. We went from 1.2v of Maxwell and previous generation to 1.093v in Pascal (maintained in Turing), we will now see a decrease to sub 1v in Ampere, which will severely limit overclocking frequency, but has a positive impact on power consumption's.

Be aware that no matter how valid this information is today it is subject to change between now and release depending on what Nvidia decide to do, many points are highly sensitive to market forces (Prices, TDP's and vram capacity especially).

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I think some posters on here are gonna eat their words heh.
Yep. Been saying 3000 series will be here sooner than people think and that it will likely be cheaper or at least priced the same not more expensive like nearly everyone has been saying. Also I have said we will get a huge gain RT performance. This is why I did not bother with Turing. The RT performance is ****.

Soldato
I reckon we'll get Ampere around the end of January going into February, Can't see it launching right now as we just got the Super line, Personally I'll be getting the 3080 Ti this time next year as I only just got a 2080 Ti a few days ago, Plus lots of deals will be on by then :D

Soldato
I would be surprised to see them out this year also.

Anytime around the release of Cyperpunk will be good for me.

Like with The Witcher 3 which I went from 780 sli to 980ti sli to max everything out. I want to do the same for Cyperpunk and I don't think a 1080ti is going to cut it at 3440x1440 even with RT off

Soldato
Gsysnc is doing a great job at the moment of extending the life of my 1080.

I am hand on heart playing Odyssey max settings tat 1440p. This game is meant to be a system crusher. And yet, the game is smooth even though fps are between 30 - 80 fps.

I want a new card. But the whole point of a new card is RT. And I'm not convinced the current 2000 series are powerful enough.

Back
Top Bottom