Ebay - Yes I should know better.

Caporegime
Incorrect. eBay gave sent me a packed label, paid for by the seller, on the two or three times something has been wrong.
Not incorrect. It's literally in their terms and conditions!

They can, at their discretion choose to refund you the postage. They don't always, and you shouldn't count on it.

I'm surprised people use ebay for the most part any more - the odd exception aside I can usually find the same item for just a little more money elsewhere with a much better guarantee of not being ripped off.
That applies doubly for anything on Amazon as well... but plenty of people use them regardless :p Esp now they're locked in with Prime.

Soldato
Not incorrect. It's literally in their terms and conditions!

They can, at their discretion choose to refund you the postage. They don't always, and you shouldn't count on it.

That applies doubly for anything on Amazon as well... but plenty of people use them regardless :p Esp now they're locked in with Prime.

Yep literally in their terms, dont know where you got this discretion malarky from :confused:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/buying/returns-refunds/start-return/return-postage?id=4066

Who pays for return postage?
The seller pays for return postage if the item was damaged, faulty, or doesn't match the listing description, or if they offer a free returns policy.

Caporegime
They have always refunded me the postage if the item is faulty

Recently I bought an electric bin and it was faulty. EBay forced a refund with a return label. It was 2nd class large letter for an 80l bin (lol )

All I did was ring up ebay, told them seller wouldn't pay, they said don't return it keep it, as sellerwent cold, and I got my full refund

Never have I paid postage for 'not as described'

Caporegime
Yep literally in their terms, dont know where you got this discretion malarky from :confused:
If the seller disputes that the item is faulty then you have to send it back at your cost. It's happened to me a couple times and I did not get my postage reimbursed.

The last time the seller ignored all my comms, and eBay only refunded the amount I'd bid, not the return postage.

Soldato
I've bought loads, probably hundreds of items from eBay over the years and had very few if any issues, intact I am struggling to think of one.

However, Amazon marketplace, I bought some PIR lights that never turned up, despite I got a message saying I had signed for them!

I bough a mobile phone that turned out to be an Italian version even though sold as UK.

I did get the above sorted but goes to show.

That being said, you do need to be a bit savvy about what you buy from eBay.

Amazon's got a real problem at the moment unless it specifically says 'Sold by Amazon' you're taking a risk. Were even talking about it on the radio not so long ago. Its not always obvious which is and which isn't unless you specifically check on the seller and their feedback. Looking at some gamepads recently and the number of fakes is a real eye opener its often only the reviews that give any indication and Amazon don't help the situation by mixing reviews of all similar products together so it may not even have been left for the product you're looking at. They really need to get a grip of the situation.

Ebay gets a pass from me because you know its a glorified fleamarket and you have to keep your wits about you but Amazon its a retailer, right? Should be straightforward, no nonsense, right? Except it isn't because they've muddied the waters by blurring the line between retail and marketplace.

Soldato
OP
Post some photos of it.
20191015_132040.jpg

20191015_132029.jpg

Soldato
Amazon's got a real problem at the moment unless it specifically says 'Sold by Amazon' you're taking a risk. Were even talking about it on the radio not so long ago. Its not always obvious which is and which isn't unless you specifically check on the seller and their feedback. Looking at some gamepads recently and the number of fakes is a real eye opener its often only the reviews that give any indication and Amazon don't help the situation by mixing reviews of all similar products together so it may not even have been left for the product you're looking at. They really need to get a grip of the situation.

Ebay gets a pass from me because you know its a glorified fleamarket and you have to keep your wits about you but Amazon its a retailer, right? Should be straightforward, no nonsense, right? Except it isn't because they've muddied the waters by blurring the line between retail and marketplace.

Agree completely, I think it's really naughty actually, obviously the more savvy will clock on but given how many people use Amazon.

Anyway after the Italian mobile phone I am vary wary about buying things on Amazon unless it's sold by Amazon or something cheap that can't be anything other than what it is, if that makes sense.

Associate
Tech by Matt on youtube just did a video on these fake graphics cards (and for those not in the know, all these Chinese fakers do is take an old card and flash a modified BIOS to make it to make it appear to be a more current card and also make it unable to have the BIOS flashed back to what it originally was although there are a few ways to get around it) and purchased a supposed 2GB GTX1050Ti which used that exact same cooler.

You can still find out what the actual card is by taking the cooler off and looking at the GPU as long as they aren't smart enough to remove that which I'm guessing they aren't.

Soldato
OP
Tech by Matt on youtube just did a video on these fake graphics cards (and for those not in the know, all these Chinese fakers do is take an old card and flash a modified BIOS to make it to make it appear to be a more current card and also make it unable to have the BIOS flashed back to what it originally was although there are a few ways to get around it) and purchased a supposed 2GB GTX1050Ti which used that exact same cooler.

You can still find out what the actual card is by taking the cooler off and looking at the GPU as long as they aren't smart enough to remove that which I'm guessing they aren't.
So you can see the pics?
Andi.

Soldato

You can use a programmer which is only about 7 pounds, one such card was a GTS450 with only 512mb of RAM.

Associate
Yep. These cards are generally 400 series and terrible. Feel bad for those who don't realise and can't understand why they're getting crappy performance. Then again, they should buy from known retailers rather than fleabay.

You'll still be out of pocket for the return postage tho. Which you won't get back, either from eBay or the seller.

And you have to return before eBay will give you a refund.

And the seller can say they received an empty box (has happened where eBay has found in favour of the seller).

The idea that you are completely safe on eBay is contrary to my personal experience. I've ended up out of pocket and having wasted a lot of time.

It's not just fakes either. Sellers will send damaged/faulty goods and claim you must have broken them yourself. Good luck convincing eBay you didn't.

If they're a "premium seller" you'd be surprised how hard it is to convince eBay you didn't damage that motherboard...

That is the opposite to my experience. Money returned by PayPal, nothing else to do.

Back
Top Bottom