• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is "Freesync" dead?

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
No. If 'G-sync' can smother out 'Freesync' the mindshare of g-sync has very much won.
But G-Sync is Freesync now. G-Sync as you know it is dead, Freesync won.

G-Sync is like Agent smith now, it goes from Freesync monitor to Freesync monitor and turns the freesync badge to a g-sync one. Lol

Soldato
G-sync monitors weren't selling, that's why they opened up freesync. It was snake oil.

Adaptivesync is part of the standard, so AMD cards supporting it is a given. But they can't expect everyone to know that.

Soldato
OP
Surprised no one has mentioned this...

Nvidia are market leaders in GPU's in fact they own around 70% of the market, as opposed to AMD at 30%.

So it makes sense for the monitor manufacturers to label them as Nvidia certified as opposed to AMD certified. This way they appeal to a much larger audience, thus helping them increase sales..

Good point

Soldato
The difference between adaptive sync and Freesync is that
Freesync was founded on the adaptive sync standard. However, requires specific (better) scaler hardware.

I still can't find info if that scaler hardware is specific to Freesync or something else. But the difference is in the scalar hardware only found in Freesync monitors.

Man of Honour
Surprised no one has mentioned this...

Nvidia are market leaders in GPU's in fact they own around 70% of the market, as opposed to AMD at 30%.

So it makes sense for the monitor manufacturers to label them as Nvidia certified as opposed to AMD certified. This way they appeal to a much larger audience, thus helping them increase sales..
I think the outcry is due to manufacturers widely dropping the Freesync branding completely. It's highly suspicious that so many have. They are using Freesync, but labelling it GSync compatible. Then many of them removing Freesync brandig. A more supisius person than me would think that maybe the terms set by nVidia was that they had to drop Freesync branding if they wanted to use the GSync name ¬_¬

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I think the outcry is due to manufacturers widely dropping the Freesync branding completely. It's highly suspicious that so many have. They are using Freesync, but labelling it GSync compatible. Then many of them removing Freesync brandig. A more supisius person than me would think that maybe the terms set by nVidia was that they had to drop Freesync branding if they wanted to use the GSync name ¬_¬
It more than likely is or they would use both badges.

They are clever, they spun it in a way where people are saying Freesync is dead and G-Sync won and the opposite is true. Lol

Soldato
Just looked up two of the monitors mentioned still showing as freesync in the description.

Nvidia is a much superior brand than AMD, its like comparing a Mercedes to a Vauxhall.

Definitely, always more expensive but with with poorer image quality.
** Inflammatory comment removed ***

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
I doubt AMD cares that much as they are dominating NV in the far larger console market, and will have their GPU in the Scarlet and PS5 , and their Ryzen chips are have replaced Intel as the go-to CPU for laptops.

NV just looks like a bitter old sad sack.

bru

bru

Soldato
I doubt AMD cares that much as they are dominating NV in the far larger console market, and will have their GPU in the Scarlet and PS5 , and their Ryzen chips are have replaced Intel as the go-to CPU for laptops.

NV just looks like a bitter old sad sack.

Wow I must have missed the thread about the new AMD giveaway, the one with a free pair of rose tinted glasses with every AMD product. ;)

Soldato
The difference between adaptive sync and Freesync is that
Freesync was founded on the adaptive sync standard. However, requires specific (better) scaler hardware.

I still can't find info if that scaler hardware is specific to Freesync or something else. But the difference is in the scalar hardware only found in Freesync monitors.

You have it mixed up. There is really no such thing as a Freesync monitor. It should be monitors that support Freesync, but, people been lazy, everyone just started calling them Freesync monitors. Freesync is AMD's term for their method to connect to an adaptive sync monitor. I think the actual term Freesync was made up by someone on this board.

Soldato
Actually, how long before the misinformed start believing that AMD always did gsync?
To be fair that is the objective. IE: AMD never had their own way...

More likely that people will think "Wow, how generous Nvidia is, letting AMD piggyback their technology! What a great company!"

Nvidia's marketing strategy and mindshare grab is genius. Utterly unethical and total scumbaggery, but genius.

All this is very predictable from Nvidia though I find the Intel related stuff much more interesting, expect more anti-competitive practices and backhanders to OEM's because they have very, very deep pockets.

Last edited:
Soldato
I remember AMD creating the 'freesync' brand and laughing at nVidia. You're not laughing now.. are you.

?Ay ??

Us the customers are the winners here all because of AMD!! Let's not forget that!
And even this video is blown abit over the top! I have checked the sites and it only seems to be some sales on the USA rainforest that is listing them without Freesync!

AMD still has Freesync 2 that Nvidia doesn't support

and even if Nvidia does support again the customer wins, WHY? Because now they buy one monitor that can support two GPU manufactures!

What AMD set out to do has succeeded no matter what your green-faced glasses might be telling you.

/Rant!

Associate
Definitely, always more expensive but with with poorer image quality.

I bought a new 5700 recently, loaded up my favorite games crash after crash. Drivers were terrible, not only this but the AMD interface is like something out of the 90's yet AMD go on about how good their new 'Adrenaline' drivers are. I returned it back for a full refund and plugged back in my trusty old GTX 1070 and bingo everything works like a dream as it should.

One other thing that makes me laugh is people who go on about how good Ryzen chips. and they only use them for gaming, but really are they that good?

Well lets see my 8600k (stock) would kill a 1600 Ryzen, a 2600 Ryzen and would trade blows with the newest 3600 Ryzen in gaming. The only benefit of Ryzens are heavy workstation loads. Sure they are a bit cheaper but why not pay the £50.00 extra for that little bit of performance?

Here's a user benchmark just to demonstrate what im talking about ;-

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-8600K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-2600/3941vs3955

So question is ;
Would I buy AMD again just to save myself £50-£100?, absolutely not I prefer to pay that bit extra for quality reliable products which are supported by quality reliable drivers and software, that's why I always go Intel/Nvidia.

*** edited - comment no longer relevant ***

Back
Top Bottom