Bought undeclared Cat N car is there anything I can do?

Soldato
I went with my friend who's bought loads of cars and the first thing he said when he saw the log book was that it ain't registered as a Cat so I took that for it. Seller also agreed with this.

Unfortunately, the only time you'll find a category listed on a V5C is if the car was Cat C (or worse) and needed a VIC. Cat D is not recorded on the V5C, neither is the newer classification of Cat N (in my understanding). Cat S will be mentioned in the additional notes section, though, as was the case with Cat C/B cars, etc.

A history check should tell you the last change of owner but it's probably the case that it's now down as when you got it, not the previous keeper. Might be worth speaking to someone about that, though.

Soldato
Your own silly mistake to be honest.

I don't think you have much to go on about, even if he was "lying"

Learn to do checks before buying the car not after..

Also you can see when car ownership has changed on the hpi check or your new logbook that will say when previous owner purchased the car.

Sgarrista
Commissario
Just flip it around, tell him that you'll be taking him to court for misrepresenting the car (eg say he stated it was HPI clear) if he doesnt take it back.

Associate
OP
Which website HPI check will show the date of last owner change cos the one I did didn't mention it? Also since the form was sent off on Tuesday I'm probably not down as the new owner yet.

Soldato
What's the reg, I can check the keeper date.

Move on with your life and enjoy the car. It's not expensive and it doesn't seem outrageous for a Mk6 Golf.

Also, this.

I'm thinking of confronting him and at least getting a partial refund down to 1850 as that is what the hpi evaluation shows. He lives 1 street down from me.

HPI don't buy or sell cars.

Associate
OP
I checked last keeper date... aquired March 2019.

So looks like he bought it as Cat N.

Sold date before him shows as 19th Dec which is the date of the write off... So if he genuinely didn't know it was Cat N maybe the company who sold it to him should be liable?

Soldato
Nah the boot moves when 'locked and appears to be twisted as gap on left is twice bigger than gap on right.
Presumably this was apparent when you bought the vehicle?

I can understand your frustration here but you're flogging a dead horse imo, you'll get nowhere except introducing a load of stress into your life.

Man of Honour
I checked last keeper date... aquired March 2019.

So looks like he bought it as Cat N.

Sold date before him shows as 19th Dec which is the date of the write off... So if he genuinely didn't know it was Cat N maybe the company who sold it to him should be liable?

So he may well not have been lying about having no idea, suck it up and move on. Learn a lesson to check before handing over money in the future and stop trying to punish someone else because you didn't do your due diligence.

OcUK Staff
I'm thinking of confronting him and at least getting a partial refund down to 1850 as that is what the hpi evaluation shows. He lives 1 street down from me.

For your error?

I'd either tell you to get lost or just give you all the money back.

Previous owner clearly had no idea, because cheap car and so he never bothered to check it, now you've made the same error but its somehow the previous owner fault, only yourself to blame.

It can't really be that damaged and if your plan was to keep for years, just forget and enjoy the car.

It's the 80bhp version. For some reason I thought it was 122bhp when I went to see it.

Basically your error but now you want to be a royal pain in the backside, do your research before buying. Don't blame the seller for your mistakes.

Back
Top Bottom