Bird table

Soldato
OP
Mix some sunflower seeds in with the nuts in the squirrel feeder. Anything you see it trying to get elsewhere put that in aswell. You cant expect it just to eat nuts when it can see other stuff it likes. My squirrels hoovers up sunflower seed and suet. Or have you already I cant really see. It might be too nut heavy or it might just be time to sort out squirrel proof feeders so its too much effort, but dont hold me to it.

I must get some squirrel feeders soon but it takes me so long to buy stuff as I like to research the crap out of stuff first (or drunk buy) and I just dont have time or frame of mind at the moment. Ive got do it before winter sets in though.

Yeah, I had already mixed sunflower seeds with the nuts. The squirrel doesn't seem to have been back to it for a while as there's pretty much the same amount of food still in there, I'm not sure why. Tell you what though, I came home yesterday and looked out the window and I saw.... a woodpecker! :D A black and white one, might be the same one from saddler's garden, lol. It was at the peanut bird feeder. Twas brief and he flew off before I could get a photo. I hope he comes back. I bought a couple of new feeders, a lantern one that I sit on the table and a yellow ceramic and metal one. I don't know yet if the birds will be attracted to the yellow one.

20191017-181744.jpg

Do you not get a load of rats as well?

I had a rat about a week or so ago but haven't seen it since. Here's a video of it in a standoff with squirrel, plus some footage of a magpie who found a way to grab some suet ball. :)

Soldato
Soldato
OP
Haha yeah, glad you liked the video, the rat got told. :D

beachboyken, I'm glad you said that squirrel buster feeder works well. I've seen it on Amazon, there's a mini version for about £19 and I think I'll probably get one.

But, the squirrel that comes to my garden hangs upside down from the table by its tail and grabs the feeder cage with it's paws and then just puts its snout into the food hole. I'm thinking it might do the same on the buster which would bypass the spring mechanism.

Last edited:
Soldato

beachboyken, I'm glad you said that squirrel buster feeder works well. I've seen it on Amazon, there's a mini version for about £19 and I think I'll probably get one.

But, the squirrel that comes to my garden hangs upside down from the table by its tail and grabs the feeder cage with it's paws and then just puts its snout into the food hole. I'm thinking it might do the same on the buster which would bypass the spring mechanism.

Maybe, we have ours just attached to some pole thing so not much of a platform to hang from.

At first the seed was disappearing in 1-2 days, either it was pigeons knocking it making seed fall out or it was the seed I was using, as the sparrows seemed to chuck it everywhere, must have been picky.

Since change to sunflower hearts and it lasts for days and don’t see any on the floor.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, my new lantern is getting emptied too quickly by the squirrel. And you can see here how he hangs from his tail, so I don't think he'd ever stand on a mechanism that closes off the food. You can also see on the left how I've propped open the squirrel feeder with a piece of white foam, but be doesn't really wanna know at the moment.
20191018-161131.jpg

I think I might need to remove two of my feeders that have lower food exit holes and just leave the ones with cages as the squirrel doesn't seem to go for those, although occasionally the suet ball cage. But that might force it to just go to its own feeder.

Soldato

We have a squirrel buster and whilst it does stop squirrels, it is very susceptible to starlings. We found they just emptied it in a day. So now we have one of the seed feeders with a cage around it.

Associate
I can get up to 4-5 squirrels in the garden at a time. I sprinkle some food around the lawn inbetween the bird table and where they enter the garden from. They tend to focus on this food and ignore the bird table, unless they've eaten or stashed their lot. Not usually an issue though.

I moved house last year, literally a couple of hundred yards away from my old place. However as it is now under 50m from woodland I get so much more wildlife in the garden, including several more bird species.
Access is easier now and I would encourage leaving gaps for hedgehogs to come and go. Some how a badger is getting in (not overly chuffed as it's digging up the lawn), then there are a few foxes that are regulars and eat the scattered peanuts for the squirrels.

Bought a trail cam recently and that's been interesting capturing the nocturnal goings on.

Soldato
We have a squirrel buster and whilst it does stop squirrels, it is very susceptible to starlings. We found they just emptied it in a day. So now we have one of the seed feeders with a cage around it.

I've not seen many starlings in my garden this year. I did see a group of parakeets feeding from next door neighbours cherry tree this summer which was great to see. I thought they had escaped from somewhere but then researched them to see they can be seen in and around London.

Soldato
Yeah, my new lantern is getting emptied too quickly by the squirrel. And you can see here how he hangs from his tail, so I don't think he'd ever stand on a mechanism that closes off the food. You can also see on the left how I've propped open the squirrel feeder with a piece of white foam, but be doesn't really wanna know at the moment.

I think I might need to remove two of my feeders that have lower food exit holes and just leave the ones with cages as the squirrel doesn't seem to go for those, although occasionally the suet ball cage. But that might force it to just go to its own feeder.
I wonder if it has a problem with the foam? Then again they are all food sources and it doesnt see any difference. Id hope that just making it the most convenient food source would be the answer.

My squirrels hate the pigeons just as much as me it would seem and despite then not even being able to get to the food they still chase them off.

Soldato
OP
I wonder if it has a problem with the foam? Then again they are all food sources and it doesnt see any difference. Id hope that just making it the most convenient food source would be the answer.

My squirrels hate the pigeons just as much as me it would seem and despite then not even being able to get to the food they still chase them off.

Actually, a couple of days ago I repositioned the squirrel feeder to face the direction of the fence that the squirrel usually runs along so it can jump straight onto the green metal platform and open the lid. I noticed it was struggling to open it in the previous position because it was trying to open it from the side instead of jumping onto the metal platform.

I also removed two bird feeders it was going to. The squirrel has now been using the squirrel feeder more consistently. I thought I'd cracked it and that it won't go to the bird feeders anymore. I then filled a bird feeder with more general bird seed and noticed today it's been emptied again. It's unbelievable. I've put everything in the squirrel feeder, a suet ball, sunflower hearts and peanuts, there's still lots in there, and it still feels the need to raid the bird table and take a dump on it. :rolleyes::p

Soldato
Actually, a couple of days ago I repositioned the squirrel feeder to face the direction of the fence that the squirrel usually runs along so it can jump straight onto the green metal platform and open the lid. I noticed it was struggling to open it in the previous position because it was trying to open it from the side instead of jumping onto the metal platform.

I also removed two bird feeders it was going to. The squirrel has now been using the squirrel feeder more consistently. I thought I'd cracked it and that it won't go to the bird feeders anymore. I then filled a bird feeder with more general bird seed and noticed today it's been emptied again. It's unbelievable. I've put everything in the squirrel feeder, a suet ball, sunflower hearts and peanuts, there's still lots in there, and it still feels the need to raid the bird table and take a dump on it. :rolleyes::p
Swings and roundabouts. :D

Yeah the taking a dump in the food trays irritates me.

I wonder if you had two squirrel feeders and put seed in one and nuts and stuff in the other if it would help?

Im glad its you that is going through this as it might save me some time and effort when I get mine. :p

Soldato
I thought I'd cracked it and that it won't go to the bird feeders anymore. I then filled a bird feeder with more general bird seed and noticed today it's been emptied again. It's unbelievable. I've put everything in the squirrel feeder, a suet ball, sunflower hearts and peanuts, there's still lots in there, and it still feels the need to raid the bird table and take a dump on it. :rolleyes::p
FRjN0Kb.jpg
:D

Last edited:
Soldato
Just a reminder for all those that feed wild birds and other small animals that with winter setting in this is a very important time of year to keep up with daily feeding as most of their natural food sources will now be gone or very deminished.

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-w...irds/feeding-birds/when-to-feed-garden-birds/
At this time of year, put out food and water on a regular basis. In severe weather, feed twice daily if you can: in the morning and in the early afternoon.

Birds require high-energy (high-fat) foods during the cold winter weather to maintain their fat reserves to survive the frosty nights. Use only good-quality food and scraps.

Always adjust the quantity given to the demand, and never allow uneaten foods to accumulate around the feeders. Once you establish a feeding routine, try not to change it as the birds will become used to it and time their visits to your garden accordingly.

Soldato
OP
Tony, I'm at my wits end with squirrels. They're taking food from the squirrel feeder but it hasn't stopped them climbing the bird table and raiding the feeders. I have to bang the window shut which scares them away but they come straight back. They never ever learn.

I don't know if one of those discs you put on the post would work or work for long?

I'm thinking of getting metal spikes or short stud like spikes all around the rim of the table. I've marked in yellow dots on the photo where they should go. The squirrel or squirrels hang from the tail or back feet, so presumably spikes would stop that. Would need to be metal spikes as they can't chew them away. What do you think and where would I get spikes? Hammer in individual spikes or get them on a strip that glues to the rims?

20191109-115803.jpg

Soldato
Tony, I'm at my wits end with squirrels. They're taking food from the squirrel feeder but it hasn't stopped them climbing the bird table and raiding the feeders. I have to bang the window shut which scares them away but they come straight back. They never ever learn.

I don't know if one of those discs you put on the post would work or work for long?

I'm thinking of getting metal spikes or short stud like spikes all around the rim of the table. I've marked in yellow dots on the photo where they should go. The squirrel or squirrels hang from the tail or back feet, so presumably spikes would stop that. Would need to be metal spikes as they can't chew them away. What do you think and where would I get spikes? Hammer in individual spikes or get them on a strip that glues to the rims?
As Ive said Ive just accepted them now.

I have a ground feeder that the squirrels can get to and I top it up morning and evening.

I mean if you have squirrels feeders and make it hard for them to get at the other feeders Id have thought they would not bother but it would have to be really hard as its just another food source to them. Maybe its more bother for them to open the lid than it is to hang from their feet. Spikes wont do anything Id have thought. They will just hang from the spikes.

As for those hood things to stop them climbing the pole of the table you have already seen them jump to the fence so thats out really.

Originaly I had a bird table and some hanging feeders but the pigeons ate everything and I had about 20 sitting and living on the roof and ledges making noise and crapping everywhere. I then put garden fencing around the table that the sqirrels just ripped through. Then I had a ground cage that not only kept the squirrels and pigeons out it also kept the black bird out which I wasnt comfortable but it made most of the pigeons move out.

Then the squirrels dug a tunnel under the cage and I gave up at that stage and now just fence the ground feeder off with plastic covered wire fencing that the squirrel can get through and try to keep it stocked up.

Soldato

Yeah they will I knew someone who used to leave a small top window ajar all day while out at work not sure why ventilation maybe anyway the bloody squirrels used to come in through it and raid the flat! :eek: Came home once and it was sitting on the dining table! Chased them off but it doesn't stop them coming back.

Squirrels are masters of the art you'll need a least a baffle to stop them climbing up the pole and at least 6ft away from any fence as they can leap that distance easily.

Back
Top Bottom