Bird table

Soldato
squirrel shouldn't be able to get onto the table from the stand, it's too wide. my issues were magpies and pigeons. tried several things, eventually got one of those seedling cupboards [can't recall the term lol], cut the front off and replaced it w/ mesh, so now the finches and **** have a covered area they can eat safely. a squirrel gnawed through the plastic mesh recently, I've replaced it w/ chicken wire and have taken other steps to get rid of it ;)

Associate
Absolutely love watching the birds on our feeder, it's only a single cage style but we get all sorts since moving to a more rural area. I've got a little book of british birds that I keep by the window and over the last few months have managed to spot quite the variety. I got far more excited than a young man should seeing a goldfinch last week.

Next door has a far fancier feeder and have had bullfinches on theirs. Needless to say I'm very jealous.

Soldato
OP
I've got a little book of british birds that I keep by the window and over the last few months have managed to spot quite the variety. I got far more excited than a young man should seeing a goldfinch last week.

Haha, same here, although I'm not so young anymore. I should get myself a british birds book. One that isn't top shelf. :p

This morning I got excited when I saw my first bird go to the hanging feeders. It went for the general seeds and also the peanuts. It was a great t.it. You can just about see it here :)
20190916-094159.jpg

Soldato
Soldato
OP
Soldato
Just put a couple of screws up and it hooks on and off :) I had to prop the lid open with a stick for the squirrels to understand how to get at the peanuts to start with. They happily push the lid up now though :)
Yeah I must get a couple of those feeders and put them at different ends of the garden.
I have a robin that appears without fail if I start digging and will come within touching distance.:cool:
I do like a robin. Its quite nice having a robin follow you around the garden like an excited kid looking at what you are doing until another one comes and they look like they are fighting to the death.
Haha, same here, although I'm not so young anymore. I should get myself a british birds book. One that isn't top shelf. :p

This morning I got excited when I saw my first bird go to the hanging feeders. It went for the general seeds and also the peanuts. It was a great t.it. You can just about see it here :)
The t1ts are my favorite for watching eat as they go to the seeder take something and chip away at it and then get another, very polite like. Wait until next spring when they are getting food for their young other halve and then bring their young for you too see. Okay its just to show them where the food is but I can pretend. Although I do get the impression from the robins that they do actualy bring them to me.

Saying that I think my oldest robin has died as he had a very dodgy looking leg during early summer. Either from fighting or getting its leg caught in netting. It might have just fixed its leg but it was a big fat old boy and I just seem to have youngish ones at the moment.. 16 years they can live upto I think.
Just put a couple of screws up and it hooks on and off :) I had to prop the lid open with a stick for the squirrels to understand how to get at the peanuts to start with. They happily push the lid up now though :)
Yeah I must get a couple of those feeders and put them at different ends of the garden.

Soldato
OP
Its quite nice having a robin follow you around the garden like an excited kid looking at what you are doing until another one comes and they look like they are fighting to the death.The t1ts are my favorite for watching eat as they go to the seeder take something and chip away at it and then get another, very polite like. Wait until next spring when they are getting food for their young other halve and then bring their young for you too see. Okay its just to show them where the food is but I can pretend. Although I do get the impression from the robins that they do actualy bring them to me.

Saying that I think my oldest robin has died as he had a very dodgy looking leg during early summer. Either from fighting or getting its leg caught in netting. It might have just fixed its leg but it was a big fat old boy and I just seem to have youngish ones at the moment.. 16 years they can live upto I think.Yeah I must get a couple of those feeders and put them at different ends of the garden.

Aw, that's sad if he died.
I like the idea that they might bring me their young to see. :) This morning was pretty active. I had a couple of the t.its coming and going quite a lot. The cheap seed is being eaten as well as the peanuts and they've started pecking at the hanging suet balls. As it feeds on either, a fair few seeds and crumbs always fall to the ground, it's as though it's throwing them but I think it's unavoidable just from the action of pecking, it's amusing to watch.

At the same time I had TWO grey squirrels roaming around, collecting the bits on the ground, pausing regularly to put paws together and nibble. One of them went up on the fence and looked like he was about to try and jump onto the table but it's a bit too far away. I didn't see either trying to climb up the bird table post so far and hopefully will stay that way.

Soldato
I like the idea that they might bring me their young to see. :) This morning was pretty active. I had a couple of the t.its coming and going quite a lot. The cheap seed is being eaten as well as the peanuts and they've started pecking at the hanging suet balls. As it feeds on either, a fair few seeds and crumbs always fall to the ground, it's as though it's throwing them but I think it's unavoidable just from the action of pecking, it's amusing to watch.

At the same time I had TWO grey squirrels roaming around, collecting the bits on the ground, pausing regularly to put paws together and nibble. One of them went up on the fence and looked like he was about to try and jump onto the table but it's a bit too far away. I didn't see either trying to climb up the bird table post so far and hopefully will stay that way.

The squirrels were an advanced recon party. :D

Soldato
Try mealworms, birds seem to love them. I would get some sort of water so birds can drink and wash. Also some bushes or small trees if you want to encourage them to stay longer in your garden.

Soldato

Its started and quite quickly with the birds.

Yeah once there isnt enough food on the floor for the squirrels their plan will change. That squirrel sitting on the fence. It was taking mental notes and judging distance. Then it will go off to its study and make a viable plan to get to that feast.
Try mealworms, birds seem to love them. I would get some sort of water so birds can drink and wash. Also some bushes or small trees if you want to encourage them to stay longer in your garden.
Yes sort your garden. It probably looks like a haunted house with a table full of candy to the birds right now. Watch out for cover for cats though. You dont want them to be able to jump out of cover and kill/eat your fattened and unaware new friends.

Live mealworms are great but you have to careful they dont escape as they can be quite destructive to the surrounding area (I think. I could be talking about crocodiles). Dried mealworms on the other hand are nearly as good. Especialy if you soak them to rehydrate them.

Associate
got 4 wood pigeons that frequent our garden daily, they get well fed just like all the other birds that come to our garden. They mainly hoover up the spilled food and seed on the floor from the smaller birds that feed from the table and hanging feeders - saves us having to clean it up. Dont see what the problem is with Pigeons? Would love it if we had squirrels near to us that would come feed but not seen any, used to feed the squirrels in museum gardens in York as a kid, they would take the peanuts from your hand and be quite friendly.

Any reason for the hate of squirrels and pigeons?

Soldato
got 4 wood pigeons that frequent our garden daily, they get well fed just like all the other birds that come to our garden. They mainly hoover up the spilled food and seed on the floor from the smaller birds that feed from the table and hanging feeders - saves us having to clean it up. Dont see what the problem is with Pigeons? Would love it if we had squirrels near to us that would come feed but not seen any, used to feed the squirrels in museum gardens in York as a kid, they would take the peanuts from your hand and be quite friendly.

Any reason for the hate of squirrels and pigeons?
Wait till the feral pigeons come, then you will understand.

I frequently apologise to the wood pigeons and collared doves and explain that its not them its the other 'pigeons' I have a problem with. Sometimes I feel like someone trying to explain my dislike of muslims while not trying to sound too racist . :p

I even tried to just feed the wood pigeons by throwing food out for them when I saw them but they would fly off frightened by this human throwing his arms about. Only for the ferals to come down and say thank you very much Ill see you in about 10 mins for more. Ill leave some crap behind on your windows and other areas for you and coo an your window ledge at 4:30 am.

I dont dislike all muslims just certain ones. You know the ones Im talking about and no Im not a racist.

Soldato
OP
Got myself a lovely new stone bird table today from a garden centre for £38. Really heavy which is what I wanted and removable bowl. Bowl is shallow which is good, the water depth is currently about an inch or less, perfect for the small birds to splash around in and not drown.

It's acquired a lot of brown 'rust like' dirt from standing outside the garden centre. Bloke in the shop said I need to be careful with pressure washers on stone but he said it should be ok on this one. Do you think I'll be able to get into the nooks and crannies and remove all the brown stuff with my nilfisk without cracking the stone? Also bought nearly a kilo of sunflower hearts at the garden centre for £2 which I thought was a good price.

1.jpg

20190919-191117.jpg

Not 15 minutes sitting out there and a robin already jumped in :)

20190919-192434.jpg

Soldato
People go through a lot of effort to try to age things like that by putting yogurt and stuff on them. I dont know about the pressure washer thing I afraid Merlin. Id leave it personaly.

Have you photoshopped a bird in there or have you got a customer already?

Oh I hadnt read the line about the robin. You have been extremely lucky with your birds so far. I hope you dont live near me and are about to nick all my birds. Ill have to up my game and bring out the big guns. Live mealworms.

Soldato
OP
People go through a lot of effort to try to age things like that by putting yogurt and stuff on them. I dont know about the pressure washer thing I afraid Merlin. Id leave it personaly.

Have you photoshopped a bird in there or have you got a customer already?

Oh I hadnt read the line about the robin. You have been extremely lucky with your birds so far. I hope you dont live near me and are about to nick all my birds. Ill have to up my game and bring out the big guns. Live mealworms.

I know what you mean Tony, having a patina or aged look gives it more character. I'm just not sure if I like it that much, just looks dirty to me :p

Yes I do seem to have gotten lucky with the birds so far. Unless you're in north london, no worries about me stealing your birds :D I've had no luck yet with the niger seeds or attracting finches, so that's going to take some time.
Ugh, I don't think I'd want to handle wriggly live worms. :eek:

Last edited:
Soldato
I know what you mean Tony, having a patina or aged look gives it more character. I'm just not sure if I like it that much, just looks dirty to me :p

Yes I do seem to have gotten lucky with the birds so far. Unless you're in north london, no worries about me stealing your birds :D I've had no luck yet with the niger seeds or attracting finches, so that's going to take some time.
Ugh, I don't think I'd want to handle wriggly live worms. :eek:
Ill be honest I dont really like handling them but after a few accidents its easier to pick them up and put them in a dish by hand rather than dropping them on the floor due to being too sensitive about them and loosing them in the house. Great at nesting times. I have the birds full attention when I bring them out. Dried rehydrated go down well too, but not too much as the skins/shell can be harmful for them.

In all the years Ive been feeding Ive only had finches occasionaly. I used to get them at the beginning but not so much now for some reason. Actually it might be because I stopped putting out hanging feeders due to the pigeons shaking them about to make the seeds drop out. I ******* hate them!!!

Saying that I used to get a lot of big groups of t1ts of all kinds now its just a handful. Sparrows though I have a good 20-30 or so youngens. Used to be much more though. They do a lot more stuff than the other birds. They eat well, bath in numbers both water and dust bathing. Hang about in the bushes and trees nattering away to each other. They play constantly sometimes just hopping about the lawn and play fighting but as soon as I go out there they **** off. Ungrateful gits.

Back
Top Bottom