Bird table

Soldato
OP

Thanks for those links. They look perfect, particularly as they move and throw the squirrel off balance. Not cheap to buy mind, but a good investment.

At the moment I've seen no activity. Food sock is still full and I saw a couple of blackbirds come into the garden this morning and then fly over the bird table, ignoring it and over the fence to somewhere else, lol. A robin (or might have been a sparrow) entered the garden too but was looking for food on the ground. But I read that robins and some other birds generally prefer ground feeding.

But I've not put the niger, peanut and suet ball feeders out yet, the only one hanging at the moment is general cheap bird seed. I also read that birds are quite fussy and only like high quality seed so I'll l replace it if it stays full.

Soldato
I have a niger feeder and it's mainly goldfinches it attracts. It took a couple of weeks for any to show up but they're now regular feeders, usually around the same time each day. I don't feed in summer as a rule but keep everything well stocked during winter.:)

Soldato
OP
I have a niger feeder and it's mainly goldfinches it attracts. It took a couple of weeks for any to show up but they're now regular feeders, usually around the same time each day. I don't feed in summer as a rule but keep everything well stocked during winter.:)

I've just put the rest of my four feeders out including niger seed. :) I'll keep in mind that it may take a couple of weeks or so for any activity. I moved the table to the centre of the garden, about 5 feet away from either fence. That might make it harder for squirrels to jump onto. And I've put a little pot of water on the table until I get a proper bird bath.

20190914-135759.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
At the moment I've seen no activity. Food sock is still full and I saw a couple of blackbirds come into the garden this morning and then fly over the bird table, ignoring it and over the fence to somewhere else, lol. A robin (or might have been a sparrow) entered the garden too but was looking for food on the ground. But I read that robins and some other birds generally prefer ground feeding.

But I've not put the niger, peanut and suet ball feeders out yet, the only one hanging at the moment is general cheap bird seed. I also read that birds are quite fussy and only like high quality seed so I'll l replace it if it stays full.
Ive never seen Blackbirds hanging from feeders only ground feeders either on ground or Table. It will certainly take days for birds to trust it and yes they can be picky about seeds. I do a mixture of sunflower seeds and a mix of smallish seeds, suet pellets, crushed nuts and dried mealworms. It can get expensive if you let it.

PjUmHEp.jpg

Associate
Just buy some nice grass seed and spread on the garden.:p
Plenty of them eating the seeds and leaving their white marks on the fences.
Still, like you, I like watching them. Some of them are quite funny, as they stare kind of challenging us. Some bad attitude birds around my area. But love them.

Associate
We have a community feeder, loads of us had tables and feeders so we all decided, simply pick a popular tree where birds inhabit and pool together. The amount of birds now is simply awesome.

Personally I adore Starlings. Yep, they are greedy but they are on the decline, Starlings were part of childhood (like Hedgehogs) you used to see loads, now...

We have resident Magpies, Crows and Pigeons, they are ground feeders (along with our Robin's). Crows given that they are the largest are so nervous, whereas Robins potter along.

Peanut butter, by gum, Starlings love the stuff.

Our Squirrels tend to plan a raid and attack as one, one neighbour keeps building (humane) monoliths to keep the squirrels at bay - it never works. :D

Soldato
Thanks for those links. They look perfect, particularly as they move and throw the squirrel off balance. Not cheap to buy mind, but a good investment.
Ill be honest and say I dont think it will work if Im honest. Squirrels are like ninjas. I mean the hood might work but they will find another way.

Soldato
OP
Ive never seen Blackbirds hanging from feeders only ground feeders either on ground or Table. It will certainly take days for birds to trust it and yes they can be picky about seeds. I do a mixture of sunflower seeds and a mix of smallish seeds, suet pellets, crushed nuts and dried mealworms. It can get expensive if you let it.

PjUmHEp.jpg

Great picture :D I forgot to buy sunflower hearts yesterday so those are on my list. Not sure if they can be put onto the table or need to be in a feeder.

We have a community feeder, loads of us had tables and feeders so we all decided, simply pick a popular tree where birds inhabit and pool together. The amount of birds now is simply awesome.

Personally I adore Starlings. Yep, they are greedy but they are on the decline, Starlings were part of childhood (like Hedgehogs) you used to see loads, now...

We have resident Magpies, Crows and Pigeons, they are ground feeders (along with our Robin's). Crows given that they are the largest are so nervous, whereas Robins potter along.

Peanut butter, by gum, Starlings love the stuff.

Our Squirrels tend to plan a raid and attack as one, one neighbour keeps building (humane) monoliths to keep the squirrels at bay - it never works. :D

Lol, I just about remember that advert. Excellent.
Ill be honest and say I dont think it will work if Im honest. Squirrels are like ninjas. I mean the hood might work but they will find another way.

I think you're right. They eventually find their way around a slinky toy, I would imagine they'd also figure out how to conquer the squirrel baffle.

Soldato
Great picture :D I forgot to buy sunflower hearts yesterday so those are on my list. Not sure if they can be put onto the table or need to be in a feeder.
These are what I use on the ground and on the table.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/RSPB-Sales...oors&sprefix=ground+feeder,outdoor,148&sr=1-6

The seeds have to be off the bottom or when it rains the seeds are just sitting water.

It really is a bit of a learning process with bird feeding and you just have to adjust at every lesson. Or just put seed out and let them get on with it.

I have found the more effort you put in the more fussy they become and my birds are fussy buggers now!
I think you're right. They eventually find their way around a slinky toy, I would imagine they'd also figure out how to conquer the squirrel baffle.
Everytime I did something to try to keep the suirrels from the food it just seemed to **** them off and they would start to chew the hanging feeders and just about anything as if they were trying to make a point.

Soldato
I do quite like starlings but they can be noisy buggers at 5am when they have got youngens and my group of what seemed like hundreds would clear a feeder in minutes. They did clear my whole garden of slugs and snails one year though with help from the rat. I thought they were digging up bulbs but when I went out there were loads of snail shells all over.

Soldato
OP
These are what I use on the ground and on the table.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/RSPB-Sales-Ltd-Ground-Feeder/dp/B00CMJL53S/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2P5MIUD2MB66O&keywords=ground+feeders+for+birds&qid=1568545706&s=outdoors&sprefix=ground+feeder,outdoor,148&sr=1-6

The seeds have to be off the bottom or when it rains the seeds are just sitting water.

It really is a bit of a learning process with bird feeding and you just have to adjust at every lesson. Or just put seed out and let them get on with it.

I have found the more effort you put in the more fussy they become and my birds are fussy buggers now!
Everytime I did something to try to keep the suirrels from the food it just seemed to **** them off and they would start to chew the hanging feeders and just about anything as if they were trying to make a point.

I'm very tempted to buy a mesh ground feeder like that to feed the blackbirds and robins. Will I be attracting squirrels and other pests though?

Soldato
You could put it in the table if it fits.

Just putting that table and food in has already peaked the interest of squirrels. As I say you are now a squirrel feeder as well. Make peace with it. :D

There are loads of these types of things. The large mesh one will allow blackbirds and skinny pigeons in but the small mesh on will not, just small birds. In my case the squirrels just dug a tunnel under it anyway. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004OAU6XS/ref=psdc_4363369031_t1_B0010VHCWW

Soldato
OP
You could put it in the table if it fits.

Just putting that table and food in has already peaked the interest of squirrels. As I say you are now a squirrel feeder as well. Make peace with it. :D

There are loads of these types of things. The large mesh one will allow blackbirds and skinny pigeons in but the small mesh on will not, just small birds. In my case the squirrels just dug a tunnel under it anyway. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004OAU6XS/ref=psdc_4363369031_t1_B0010VHCWW

Yes, I should think word is getting around squirrel and bird Facebook. :D

I suppose I could put any old dish on the ground with some food.

I've just taken a small handful of nuts and seeds from the feeders and placed onto the table for good measure, and have placed the little pot of water on the ground. At the moment I don't care if pigeons or squirrels arrive, I just want to see something happening. :p

20190915-161010.jpg

Hah, just got my first catch and it took some nuts :) Nothing exotic but is this a sparrow or robin?

20190915-162018.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Robin.

You should get those nuts a bit smaller as its only the bluetits that hold food and nibble at it. The rest just swallow what they can fit in there mouth or break with their beaks as with sunflower hearts. Some sunflower hearts are tough as **** sometimes as well but generaly they break up in their beaks. I not sure if that seed menu will get much love as that looks like the stuff that used to get left behind in my feeders.

Get some suet pellets. All birds love them.

Those nuts are more for the feeders as they have to chip away at them but they dont really do that on a surface.

Last edited:
Soldato
Robins are pretty brave and love human company when I go out it doesnt take long for a robin to come close.

If you want to splash out get some husk free seed collection the birds like them and they wont grow if dropped on the floor.

get Suet pellets you wont regret it.

Soldato
Thanks Tony. I'll crush the nuts to make them smaller. If I crush up one of the fat balls (which I think is suet) from the feeder, will that be as good as pellets?
Yeah thatll do for now. Just break it so they can peck at it at the table with out it rolling around. They love fat. What I see is the birds take food in their mouth and then do an up and down. If it gets smaller or is the right size they eat it if it doesnt it drops. I havent used grated cheese yet which robins are meant to love.

Peanuts in spring you have to be careful about as they can choke baby birds as the parents just give it to them and they try to swallow it. Only small crushed in spring and early summer. I mean Im sure adults can swallow half a nut without choking.

Im starting to think I may have dedicated to much of my life to garden birds. Could be worse I guess.

Soldato
OP
Yeah thatll do for now. Just break it so they can peck at it at the table with out it rolling around. They love fat. What I see is the birds take food in their mouth and then do an up and down. If it gets smaller or is the right size they eat it if it doesnt it drops. I havent used grated cheese yet which robins are meant to love.

Peanuts in spring you have to be careful about as they can choke baby birds as the parents just give it to them and they try to swallow it. Only small crushed in spring and early summer. I mean Im sure adults can swallow half a nut without choking.

Im starting to think I may have dedicated to much of my life to garden birds. Could be worse I guess.

I've crushed the nuts to smaller morsels, and crushed a fat ball. Quite the banquet for the birds now! :D

20190915-180528.jpg

20190915-181102.jpg

Soldato
I've crushed the nuts to smaller morsels, and crushed a fat ball. Quite the banquet for the birds now! :D

20190915-180528.jpg

20190915-181102.jpg
Yeah that should easily be enough for one squirrel. :D

Now the robin has seen it will be back as robins have territories. Ive got to say I like robins the most, well about the same as blackbirds as they both hang out if you are gardening a lot. Oh and the sparrows I like them aswell and the ****. Yeah I love them all. Except the bloody pigeons.

Soldato
Robins are pretty brave and love human company when I go out it doesnt take long for a robin to come close.

If you want to splash out get some husk free seed collection the birds like them and they wont grow if dropped on the floor.

get Suet pellets you wont regret it.

I have a robin that appears without fail if I start digging and will come within touching distance.:cool:

Back
Top Bottom