V_R

V_R

Soldato

https://www.techradar.com/uk/reviews/motorola-razr-2019

Moto Razr 2019 release date and price
  • December 26 pre-orders; January 9 release date in the US
  • Will be sold in 'select European markets' in Decemebr
  • $1,500 price is low for a foldable phone, but very high in general
The Motorola Razr 2019 was announced on November 13 with preorders opening on December 26, 2019 before a release date sometime in January 2020 in the US. As rumored, the Motorola Razr 2019 costs $1,500 (around £1,170, AU$2,010) and will be available exclusively through Verizon, which offers a $62.49/month payment plan for 24 months.

Man of Honour
$1500 for:
- 2510mAh battery to power not only a 6.2" screen but also a 2" secondary screen!
- Camera is the same as the one in the OnePlus 6, so it's not great given the price
- Snapdrahon 710, this is fine as a top of the mid-range tree spec, but not for something priced above flagship!
- No SIM slot, eSIM only, so network choice is severely limited
- Speakers not great as demonstrated by Mr Mobile
- No expandable storage and 128GB only

That price is exclusively for nostalgia sakes. It's gen 1, an interesting form factor and clearly a test by Moto to see if it hits the right marks and sales. Gen 2 will be the one to look out for. Is $1500 worth it for the retro vibes? Diehard fans are a curious bunch...

Associate
Not sure what "problem" this is supposed to solve? Current foldable devices do so because the folded-out screen estate is quite a bit larger than even current phablets, which is quite an advantage.

This folds out to what basically amounts to a standard phone size, but with sub par specs and a very high price for said specs. Frankly it seems pointless and a waste of R&D for an already relatively-insignificant smartphone manufacturer.

Soldato
Not sure what "problem" this is supposed to solve? Current foldable devices do so because the folded-out screen estate is quite a bit larger than even current phablets, which is quite an advantage.

This folds out to what basically amounts to a standard phone size, but with sub par specs and a very high price for said specs. Frankly it seems pointless and a waste of R&D for an already relatively-insignificant smartphone manufacturer.

Some people like the big screen but find carrying a large phone around to be uncomfortable. Being able to fold it into a small size makes it a lot more pocket-able.

I can see the appeal of it, but it's not for me. It's expensive and that's a pretty small battery considering the rest of the specs. The hinge however is interesting, unlike the Galaxy Fold it actually allows you to fully close the phone instead of leaving a gap. But part of that trick is to slide the screen down while you fold it, which makes it look rather fragile in a lot of areas.

Associate
$1500 for:
- 2510mAh battery to power not only a 6.2" screen but also a 2" secondary screen!
- Camera is the same as the one in the OnePlus 6, so it's not great given the price
- Snapdrahon 710, this is fine as a top of the mid-range tree spec, but not for something priced above flagship!
- No SIM slot, eSIM only, so network choice is severely limited
- Speakers not great as demonstrated by Mr Mobile
- No expandable storage and 128GB only

That price is exclusively for nostalgia sakes. It's gen 1, an interesting form factor and clearly a test by Moto to see if it hits the right marks and sales. Gen 2 will be the one to look out for. Is $1500 worth it for the retro vibes? Diehard fans are a curious bunch...

Pointed all of this out to someone at work. They still want one. It will sell.

Man of Honour
Pointed all of this out to someone at work. They still want one. It will sell.

Here's the thing, I bet dollars that the vast majority of Razr fans will buy it purely for the flip nostalgia, but then once that novelty has worn off --let's face it, this is going to be 2020 surrounded by slim bezel free phones sporting 108MP cameras, 45W+ charging rates and specs that put the average desktop PC under the shelf-- they will wish they had a better camera, more storage, more features.

Whilst the original Razr was ahead of its time and held the market for many years, the new one is nowhere near that and solely hinges its appeal on the form factor and nothing else. That can only last a finite length of time.

Soldato
Some people like the big screen but find carrying a large phone around to be uncomfortable. Being able to fold it into a small size makes it a lot more pocket-able.
Yeah, this really. I'd happily go for a bigger screen on my phone (not that I need it or watch much on it) but fitting modern 6"+ phones in your jeans pocket is just ridiculous. The last couple of phones I've bought have had to have two things which manufacturers are giving up on - smaller than 6" tall and a flippin' headphone jack :rolleyes: It's getting harder every time I want to upgrade. Fortunately I don't upgrade very often :p

Associate
Yeah I don't get this issue of having trouble carrying a 6" phone, I've been doing it for years but then I've noticed men like to wear jeans coloured leggings now so maybe that's it.

Maybe they want a phone like this so they can fold it in half, stick it in their boxers and pretend they're well endowed :)

Soldato
Love the idea and the form factor but wouldn't spend that much money on those specs/battery. Not in any rush to get a foldable phone until they nail the tech.

Soldato
No problem fitting a 6.7" display in my jean pockets. I'm not a skinny jean man however :p
I've had straight cut, loose cut and baggy jeans, as well as work trousers, smart trousers, chinos and all kinds in between. None of them could fit a Galaxy S5 in any of the pockets and still permit you to sit down in a car... How have you managed it?
I basically live in cargo pants, now, purely because mobile phones have gotten so large and flimsy.

Associate
I've had straight cut, loose cut and baggy jeans, as well as work trousers, smart trousers, chinos and all kinds in between. None of them could fit a Galaxy S5 in any of the pockets and still permit you to sit down in a car... How have you managed it?
I basically live in cargo pants, now, purely because mobile phones have gotten so large and flimsy.

I don't know where you buy your jeans, but I've never ever had a problem with any even with 6+ inch monsters like the 2XL and the like. Phone always carried in pocket, never ever a problem. I'm not exactly skinny either.

Soldato
I don't know where you buy your jeans, but I've never ever had a problem with any even with 6+ inch monsters like the 2XL and the like. Phone always carried in pocket, never ever a problem. I'm not exactly skinny either.
Maybe larger jeans sizes give larger pockets? :o

I'm 5'9 and buy 'slim' jeans from a variety of shops at a waist of 30-32". Most of them my Mi A2 Lite (only 5.8" tall) almost sticks out the top, but is completely noticeable. Some of my older jeans have phone-shaped rub mark where it sits in the pocket. In the current H&M generic jeans I'm wearing, the pockets are slightly shallower so it's uncomfortable to sit with the phone in my pocket.

Associate
Maybe larger jeans sizes give larger pockets? :o

I'm 5'9 and buy 'slim' jeans from a variety of shops at a waist of 30-32". Most of them my Mi A2 Lite (only 5.8" tall) almost sticks out the top, but is completely noticeable. Some of my older jeans have phone-shaped rub mark where it sits in the pocket. In the current H&M generic jeans I'm wearing, the pockets are slightly shallower so it's uncomfortable to sit with the phone in my pocket.

:D

I'm fat but not that fat. 34" waist. Still never had an issue. Maybe I wear old man jeans :p

NVP

NVP

Soldato
SelfassuredLiquidEeve-size_restricted.gif

This lady spends so long on the hinge and flip I couldn't take it. Americans did love their flip phones though

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom