Motorola Razr 2019

Soldato
Yes, crazy expensive and higher price than regular smartphone flagships, but this is actually mid range for foldables :) It's a shame the specs are low as I love the idea of this form factor.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
OP
What an awesome easter egg!

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...19-secret-retro-razr-mode-easter-egg-foldable

razr.jpg

Soldato
I think this phone is well nice but as others have said it can't be justified by the price tag. It (especially the easter egg above) has certainly made me feel nostalgic about my old V3, it was gorgeous at the time and did the job. I was gutted when I dropped it in water.

Associate
I have to admit it is very cool.

However, the specs really should be flagship or near enough for that price.

I can honestly see it selling regardless, its a good status symbol to show how rich you are :D

Soldato
I don't know where you buy your jeans, but I've never ever had a problem with any even with 6+ inch monsters like the 2XL and the like. Phone always carried in pocket, never ever a problem. I'm not exactly skinny either.
Phones always fit into the pocket, usually front or back... but the instant you crouch down, sit down or start to go up steps, either the phone digs into your hip or, in the case of one in my back pocket, can even snap the screen.
I have to get the 5.11 type Tacticool jeans just for the side pockets.

Caporegime
Here's the thing, I bet dollars that the vast majority of Razr fans will buy it purely for the flip nostalgia, but then once that novelty has worn off --let's face it, this is going to be 2020 surrounded by slim bezel free phones sporting 108MP cameras, 45W+ charging rates and specs that put the average desktop PC under the shelf-- they will wish they had a better camera, more storage, more features.

Whilst the original Razr was ahead of its time and held the market for many years, the new one is nowhere near that and solely hinges its appeal on the form factor and nothing else. That can only last a finite length of time.

the average person doesn't care about any of those features.

you are on a tech forum.

it's why they keep on buying apple and iphone is so popular because they are all sheep. they have no idea what it is they are buying.

i was at a party and aksed someone to take a selfie. they didn't even know how to do it because it's not an iphone and asked " why don't you have an iphone"? i mean all you need to do is press the huge button on the screen. it's not hard to work out. but most people don't want to use their brains at all.

Soldato
i was at a party and aksed someone to take a selfie. they didn't even know how to do it because it's not an iphone and asked " why don't you have an iphone"?
I hate people like that...
Also, is it still a 'selfie' if it's taken by someone else? Thought it had to be of you (or including you), taken by you with your own phone?

Caporegime
I hate people like that...
Also, is it still a 'selfie' if it's taken by someone else? Thought it had to be of you (or including you), taken by you with your own phone?

you know what i mean i asked them to take a photo and they had to ask how to do it after initially asking why i didn't have an iphone.

this person would obviously never buy a razr because it's not an iphone. but i reckon people will buy this because it's foldable screen and small in size and a flip phone. it looks cool. simple as that. the price is eye watering so i don't believe there is a huge market for them. it will sell better than it should do simply because people don't really care about specs. it's more about the cool factor.

if apple were to bring out a tv which was 3K instead of 4K and locked down where you couldn't bluetooth or stream your own media to it, etc and it cost much more, people would still buy it even if the specs weren't that good. simply to tell others i have an apple tv.

Soldato
you know what i mean i asked them to take a photo
I think I do now, but before I was just wondering why you'd ask someone to take a picture of themselves with your phone... unless it was a profile pic for your Contacts, or something.
Selfies are newfangled Millennial things. I'm old - I don't know what the selfie rules are.

but i reckon people will buy this because it's foldable screen and small in size and a flip phone. it looks cool. simple as that.
Yes, that is why they will....

the price is eye watering
...and that is why they won't!!

Specs will still have to be roughly on par with other phones, though. Most non-techy people these days still do look at basic things like camera megapixels (biggah numbaz iz bettah, innit). The folding coolness alone is not enough to sell this... even slapping an Apple sticker on would not help, regardless of how much it costs.

I'm watching this with interest. It looks better than the Samsung Galaxy Fold and I think sales will perform favourably.

Being visually impaired, I always want the biggest screen available for a phone, so my Samsung A70 at 6.7" is pretty much at the top end there for size. The new Razr clamshell that unfolds into a 6.2" screen has a lot of potential. If they could up the folded size slightly for a future model, it could easily unfold into an 8" screen and I would definitely be interested!

Caporegime
No water proofing. No buy .
Poor camera. No buy

I wouldn't get it .I don't really see the benifit of foldable anyway unless you go phone to tablet.

Looks like could get a lot of muck behind the hinge And if that screen edge catches on some clothing it could get damaged.
Also, will that huge chin be annoying for typing?
Using it horizontal . Will that chin be distracting?

Think it might sell, but people will come to regret the purchase

Is having a 6 in phone in 3in form with the poor battery etc worth more money?

Soldato
I don't really see the benifit of foldable anyway unless you go phone to tablet.

It honestly boggles my mind that people can't see a benefit. You don't have to want it yourself, but it's fairly simple premise as to why you would want a phone that folds in half and to not understand that seems odd to me...

Soldato
If this had a flagship chip, camera and waterproofing then it would feel expensive but somewhat worth it. On current spec it feels £500-£700 may be passable.

Saying that I remember when the Ericsson T28 launched and its cost relative to the rest of the market seemed nuts but its still sold. Compact flip phones are great.

Back
Top Bottom