• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
You've stated the reason RDR2 is performing poorly is because its poorly coded or optimised. If you do some research you'll see that the consoles are often running lower and or lower than low settings compared to the PC version. The performance is as it is because the game is very demanding period. It thus necessitates better graphics cards, would you dispute this?
The current and next generation consoles have been touting 4K performance albeit gimped for some time now and while many PC users are still happy at 1080 this is an enthusiasts forum and many people here are gaming above 1080. Do you dispute this?
I read your post and fail to see where the 'rubbish' is in my post and you've failed to point it out, Do you dispute that?
Everything in my post is accurate or an opinion that is reasonable for me as a user to express ergo you're talking out of your ass when dismissing it as 'rubbish'.

Soldato
RDR2 runs pretty well for me. It's not badly optimised for the level of detail it has.

OFC 4k isn't really viable yet for playing this kind of game. No hardware is up to scratch for it. The consoles don't ACTUALLY run 4k, the image is scaled to 4k but it's not rendering at 4k.

Permabanned
RDR2 runs pretty well for me. It's not badly optimised for the level of detail it has.
OFC 4k isn't really viable yet for playing this kind of game. No hardware is up to scratch for it. The consoles don't ACTUALLY run 4k, the image is scaled to 4k but it's not rendering at 4k.

No hardware except CrossFire or SLi, or a bit lowered settings at 3840x2160. Nothing will happen to you if you don't game at full max ultra lol

3840x2160 at Max, frames per second Average:
CF-and-SLi-possible.png

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/red-dead-redemption-2-benchmark-test-performance-analysis/4.html

Soldato

Xbox One X is actually native 4K from what Digital Foundry is saying.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
I tried tweaking the settings and ended up with worse frame rates than using the balanced slider instead.

Plays fine with the slider at max, which sets MSAA x 2 automatically. Mid 50’s FPS is good enough for a game like RDR2, it doesn’t need 90+ FPS, much prefer 4K and HDR.

Now if only I could find the time to sit down and become absorbed by the game. My limited gaming time means I’m more likely to pick up COD for an hour instead.

Back OT, I really do hope that AMD surprise us all in a positive way, but let’s face it, it’s not likely.

Soldato
Nice load of rubbish there Jacky.

Console ports are always appallingly coded to start with, so it's hardly an accurate representation of how much GPU horsepower "we need". We don't need GPU horsepower, we need game devs to actually give two ***** about their product, actually code the thing properly for all platforms they intend to release on and generally do a proper job. Oh wait, PC gaming is a niche market and all the money to be made is in consoles, so the PC Master Race is never gonna get a fair deal.

Plus, I'm pretty sure the 99.999% of PC gamers are perfectly happy playing RDR2 at 1080p on their RX 570s and GTX 1060s, y'know where it's affordable and sensible. Nobody cares about 4K 60fps at ultra settings. It's a niche within a niche within a niche and there is no money to be made from it, so no vendor bothers to actually make anything for it, or push the envelope.

AMD certainly don't care about the flagship ultra high-end because their money is better spent crushing the market sectors that actually see sales, rather than getting into a dick swinging contest with Nvidia over who can produce the best PC gaming card that only 5 idiots will buy (no offense, @Kaapstad :p ). And Nvidia don't care about ultra smooth 4K gaming because they can make much more money by convincing their idiot fanbase that real-time reflections on a puddle is worth £1,200 and a 50% performance hit.

I would agree though that AMD aren't beating the 2080 Ti for a while, but that's more likely because of a choice, not a barrier. There is no money to be made from bleeding-edge halo products, so why invest money you don't have into it?

Game devs arent gonna do that.. havent done it for years.

if AMD don't care about high end 4k gaming fine.. but for all of us gaming on the high end.. we're not gonna care about them too.

Permabanned
I tried tweaking the settings and ended up with worse frame rates than using the balanced slider instead.

Plays fine with the slider at max, which sets MSAA x 2 automatically. Mid 50’s FPS is good enough for a game like RDR2, it doesn’t need 90+ FPS, much prefer 4K and HDR.

Now if only I could find the time to sit down and become absorbed by the game. My limited gaming time means I’m more likely to pick up COD for an hour instead.

Back OT, I really do hope that AMD surprise us all in a positive way, but let’s face it, it’s not likely.

You don't need MSAA x2 if at 3840x2160.

AMD will surprise us in 2020. The likelihood they will take the performance crown in 2020 is very high now ;)

Soldato
You've stated the reason RDR2 is performing poorly is because its poorly coded or optimised. If you do some research you'll see that the consoles are often running lower and or lower than low settings compared to the PC version. The performance is as it is because the game is very demanding period. It thus necessitates better graphics cards, would you dispute this?
The current and next generation consoles have been touting 4K performance albeit gimped for some time now and while many PC users are still happy at 1080 this is an enthusiasts forum and many people here are gaming above 1080. Do you dispute this?
I read your post and fail to see where the 'rubbish' is in my post and you've failed to point it out, Do you dispute that?
Everything in my post is accurate or an opinion that is reasonable for me as a user to express ergo you're talking out of your ass when dismissing it as 'rubbish'.

Consoles do not run lower than low settings compared to the pc versions, more like medium to high so that’s rubbish.

Soldato
Naa it's more like low settings. Maybe some on medium. The colour depth is way less too.
Run read dead on low settings on pc and run red dead on console. It’s not until you increase the settings to medium does the pc version look nearly as good. Might be my mega tv though making the console look better.

Soldato
I'm just so bored of waiting now, there just isn't a big enough performance gain from Vega 64 (AIO) to 5700XT, I bought my Vega in Nov 2017 and I was late to that party!

I refuse to buy Nvidia due to the eyewatering prices, they just don't represent any kind of "value for money".

Associate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1iNSyvIPaY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAwAP499YSQ

An in depth look at all settings and optimisation on PC or lack of it.
You don't need MSAA x2 if at 3840x2160.

AMD will surprise us in 2020. The likelihood they will take the performance crown in 2020 is very high now ;)
Well I typically use at least 4x MSAA at 2160 and prefer 8X. Yes you don't 'need' it but my tired old eyes can still see jaggies/crawlies and I don't like that.
I want maximum visual fidelity, we can always compromise but this is an enthusiast's forum so surely we want the best visuals possible without compromise at least eventually if not today.
None of us knows how long we've got and I want something resembling photo realism and complete interactivity plus beautiful robot sex dolls
at affordable prices before I die.

Last edited:
Associate
Nice load of rubbish there Jacky.

Console ports are always appallingly coded to start with, so it's hardly an accurate representation of how much GPU horsepower "we need". We don't need GPU horsepower, we need game devs to actually give two ***** about their product, actually code the thing properly for all platforms they intend to release on and generally do a proper job. Oh wait, PC gaming is a niche market and all the money to be made is in consoles, so the PC Master Race is never gonna get a fair deal.

Plus, I'm pretty sure the 99.999% of PC gamers are perfectly happy playing RDR2 at 1080p on their RX 570s and GTX 1060s, y'know where it's affordable and sensible. Nobody cares about 4K 60fps at ultra settings. It's a niche within a niche within a niche and there is no money to be made from it, so no vendor bothers to actually make anything for it, or push the envelope.

AMD certainly don't care about the flagship ultra high-end because their money is better spent crushing the market sectors that actually see sales, rather than getting into a dick swinging contest with Nvidia over who can produce the best PC gaming card that only 5 idiots will buy (no offense, @Kaapstad :p ). And Nvidia don't care about ultra smooth 4K gaming because they can make much more money by convincing their idiot fanbase that real-time reflections on a puddle is worth £1,200 and a 50% performance hit.

I would agree though that AMD aren't beating the 2080 Ti for a while, but that's more likely because of a choice, not a barrier. There is no money to be made from bleeding-edge halo products, so why invest money you don't have into it?
Also I'm sure you'd agree that halo parts that demonstrate one vendor's technological prowess are important in creating mindshare. Absolute performance matters because it commands attention similar to how iPhone features and performance have led to enormous
brand recognition and the perception of a halo aka overpriced product.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I'm just so bored of waiting now, there just isn't a big enough performance gain from Vega 64 (AIO) to 5700XT, I bought my Vega in Nov 2017 and I was late to that party!

I refuse to buy Nvidia due to the eyewatering prices, they just don't represent any kind of "value for money".

GeForce drawbacks:
✘ bad or worse image quality compared to the industry leader Radeon;
✘ bad or not adequate drivers / Control Panel;
✘ large price tags

To be honest, it's worth the wait in 2020 for Navi 23, a proper high-end GPU, likely back to a die size of more than 500 mm^2 or double that of the Radeon RX 5700 XT with its 10.3 B transistors.
If Navi 23 with the new RDNA2 microarchitecture brings some 10-20% IPC uplift and 100% more CU, you will potentially get a card that would completely obliterate RTX 2080 Ti, make it look like a child in the kindergarten.

Associate
Run read dead on low settings on pc and run red dead on console. It’s not until you increase the settings to medium does the pc version look nearly as good. Might be my mega tv though making the console look better.
Watch DF comparison video. Some XBOX ONE X settings are lower than lowest possible on PC while others are equal to high or even ultra like textures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom