• Yes, but after launch

Votes: 24 6.3%
  • No

Votes: 286 75.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 49 12.9%

• Total voters
Associate
Some of pc gamers latency numbers are better than mentioned above, but still quite hard to swallow.

Input latency stats (in milliseconds)
Game Local PC 1080p Stadia PC 1080p Stadia TV 1080p Stadia TV 4K
Destiny 2 83 150 163 167
Shadow of the Tomb Raider 63 125 213 279

I found multi player Bfv on a pc connected to a TV hard to play due to input lag, so can't see how introducing the internet into that mix is ever going to work.

https://www.pcgamer.com/amp/heres-how-stadias-input-lag-compares-to-native-pc-gaming/

Soldato
Well the issues were always going to be mixed. Great to see some positives on here, though. I'm definitely still interested in something like this (perhaps not this Google model) as the simplicity of it is the main appeal.

Caporegime
How are you supposed to enjoy a game with 800ms of lag? even at 60fps games will be unresponsive dogs to play. That's nearly 1 second from pressing a button to having it respond on screen.

Associate
I would recommend actually sitting down and playing a game on Stadia before making judgements.
I can assure you if lag was an issue I would just bin the lot and upgrade my pc.
This enables me to play on TV, laptop and pc.
Not sure about 4k and FPS but just looks good and plays well.
Purchase a game and it instantly appears ready to play, prices seem ok to me.

Soldato
The lack of detail is bad as well.

It's not the same version as PC.

it's been confirmed by the developers that they make special versions of the game for Stadia to reach its performance targets. In destiny 2 it's not just the resolution that's low but the settings used is low, some lower than the consoles.

maybe they'll use more powerful hardware to run the games better in the future and hopefully if that happens if applied retroactively to older games released already

Soldato
I got my code late on Wednesday and had a quick bash on Samurai Showdown on my laptop with an old Xbox controller and had a decent enough gaming experience through the Chrome browser so I was looking forward to getting my Stadia package.

Got it all setup and my first impressions weren't good unfortunately. The screen was going super blurry and freezing pretty much from the off. Tried via Wi-Fi and powerline adapter, it seemed slightly better on the latter which is odd as my laptop sees a speed drop when connected via that.

The Chromecast was really hot after about 20 minutes but I'm reading a lot of people saying the same thing. I'm going to give it another bash when I've got more time and I'm still hopefull but so far my 15 or so minute sessions have been;

Samurai Showdown (Chrome browser) - pretty good
Destiny 2 (Stadia Controller + Chromecast) - barely playable, unplayable at times
Samurai Showdown (Stadia Controller + Chromecast) - playable but not great
Destiny 2 (Stadia Controller + Chromecast) - barely playable, unplayable at times

Associate
My Chromecast is ethernet into the back of the router, but I seem to have no issues on laptop on wireless. Maybe something to do with quality of connections? I'm only on 76/20 but the exchange is 200m away. I see videos of people with 200/200 having serious input lag.
Maybe we are going backwards in terms of fibre quality when demand is high, is that possible?

Soldato
Most of the replies remind me of the steam link thread. It either works for your network or doesn't and now it adds the internet into the mix.

So far I'm quite impressed and hopefully will get even better with more features.

fez

fez

Caporegime
For those of us who might consider a purchase the negative is as useful as the positive.

Exactly. I have a Switch and don't necessarily want another console so a PC streaming service would be great but I don't want to spend £120 on something that isn't up to scratch and where I don't know the pitfalls.

Caporegime
I would recommend actually sitting down and playing a game on Stadia before making judgements.
I can assure you if lag was an issue I would just bin the lot and upgrade my pc.
This enables me to play on TV, laptop and pc.
Not sure about 4k and FPS but just looks good and plays well.
Purchase a game and it instantly appears ready to play, prices seem ok to me.

You can buy the same games for much less physically and play them with less lag. Honestly what are the benefits to this? and like WYNIR0 says people purchasing want to see all feedback not an echo chamber of those already invested in it. Sell Stadia to me, why should I buy it over a next gen PS5/Xbox?

Caporegime
OP
You aren't going to be playing Horizon Zero Dawn 2 on Stadia fo' sure! So if you value Sony's exclusives then a PS5 is a no-brainer (unless you want to use PS Now). If you get a PS5 then why would you buy the same game on Stadia instead? Only if you swap around screens regularly, I suppose.

Soldato
Sell Stadia to me, why should I buy it over a next gen PS5/Xbox?

I think that might be the task of the Stadia marketing team hehe.

I pre-ordered Stadia not because I'm giving up pc gaming or any of my other consoles, but because I was interested in finding out first hand if it works and you know it's a new gadget.

Soldato
My Chromecast is ethernet into the back of the router, but I seem to have no issues on laptop on wireless. Maybe something to do with quality of connections?
Quite possibly the issue. I don't get why it works better on my laptop though. I've found an app for testing the actual connection speed of the Chromecast so I'll run that on WiFi and powerline adapter to compare the results then go from there.

Associate
Quite possibly the issue. I don't get why it works better on my laptop though. I've found an app for testing the actual connection speed of the Chromecast so I'll run that on WiFi and powerline adapter to compare the results then go from there.
I got rid of all my powerline adapters as had issues with high ping and slow speeds, cables to all access points now.

Back
Top Bottom