• No

Votes: 286 75.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 49 12.9%

• Total voters
Associate
And for those of us without a PHD in network engineering :confused::p

OK, I shall try and articulate...

If you were streaming a multiplayer game from Google's DC the hard work of processing the game is done there so all they have to do is ensure they have the capacity in the Servers and Network (think free lanes on a motorway) to send that traffic to you.

Once it leaves their Network it will go over intermediary networks to the ISP/Carrier Network of the Stadia Subscriber where the ISP will route the data traffic/packets correctly to you like Royal Mail deliver your mail or courier delivers your OcUK order ;).

Once at your door via the Router, its unpacked by the relevant device hardware/software e.g Console/PC/Stadia for you to see on your display and interact with via your controller/kbm.

In theory, it works exactly the same in reverse (bar the only thing that's being sent is your characters inputs to update the server/host of the game). The only real difference is you are doing the game processing at your home on the console/PC, therefore in multiplayer games as you are reliant on the same paths/steps taken above working correctly (just in reverse) with little enough delay or latency to ensure it runs smoothly without lag.

TL;DR

The only real world difference to consumers is where the game processing is done hence the whole 'cloud gaming' SP.

Shawrey

Caporegime
3RFR.gif

:D
Random question, what's that gif from? Someone used it is a picture for a work poster and a colleague and I debated if it was Kate Sackhoff or not :p:o.

Last edited:
Soldato
The only real world difference to consumers is where the game processing is done hence the whole 'cloud gaming' SP.

Shawrey

I get that bit, but the major real world difference is that any blip between the Chromecast/controller and the Google server (be that on the user's own network, the copper connecting them to the exchange/cabinet or an issue on the larger links) will have an affect on the gaming experience. That's a lot of unknown factors to deal with, despite how reliable they might be they're not as reliable or consistent as having the game running on a console a foot away from the TV it's being played on.

Soldato
What ping does everyone get for stadia.google.com ?

Edit: traceroute as well?

Over 31 packets

min 12 max 64 ave 15ms

C:\Users\Solar>tracert stadia.google.com

Tracing route to stadia.google.com [172.217.169.14]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms USG-3P [192.168.1.1]
2 12 ms 12 ms 11 ms vt1.cor2.lond2.ptn.zen.net.uk [51.148.72.24]
3 46 ms 12 ms 12 ms ae-7.cor2.lond1.ptn.zen.net.uk [51.148.73.12]
4 14 ms 13 ms 16 ms ae-8.agg1.lond1.ptn.zen.net.uk [51.148.73.14]
5 12 ms 12 ms 12 ms 72.14.217.190
6 12 ms 12 ms 12 ms 108.170.246.129
7 96 ms 53 ms 49 ms 209.85.241.93
8 12 ms 12 ms 12 ms lhr25s26-in-f14.1e100.net [172.217.169.14]

Trace complete.

Associate
I've been using for a few days now. Tonight I had my first noticeable 'blocky' spell for about 5 seconds. Aside from that is has been smooth.

For me overall this has been a positive experience. I can now game pretty much anywhere. I have been mainly using Mac Mini and chrome. Only downside is that this is in 1080p only. RDR2 on the full TV looks great but that is usually in family use. Tomb Raider for £8 was well spent - rediscovering a love of that.

I can see that this is not for everyone. If you always game on the same set up and don't have a shared TV then the advantage over console or PC is not there. We have fast internet into the house and the Wifi is strong through out which makes it easier.

Associate
I get that bit, but the major real world difference is that any blip between the Chromecast/controller and the Google server (be that on the user's own network, the copper connecting them to the exchange/cabinet or an issue on the larger links) will have an affect on the gaming experience. That's a lot of unknown factors to deal with, despite how reliable they might be they're not as reliable or consistent as having the game running on a console a foot away from the TV it's being played on.

No I quite agree which is why I think its too soon. I will certainly be buying a next gen console as I feel cloud gaming is very much at its infancy and I will probably adopt the model after PS5/Scarlett have run their course which should give the infrastructure in the UK a chance to mature with FTTP to most homes at better 5G coverage etc.

Shawrey

Soldato
Been reading the Public Facebook page and seeing comments of save games not working, 4k doesnt work, only 2 free games available - common misconception where people thought it was Netflix for gaming when you actually have to buy the games. Subscription should give you 4k etc. Few people saying its too early and going back to console gaming. Few complaining that they are showing Cyberpunk 2077 as available when its not. Admittedly its not the "full launch" its just their version of "early access".

Soldato
Not experienced saves failing with AC, 10 hours in so I'm glad of that and if people read what they were buying at the beginning they would know what they were paying for, it was explained when I pre-ordered back early June anyway.

I'm a bit disappointed with December's games given that most people may already have bought TR as it's been on sale in the store for "Pro" users. They should have made it a non sale game at least or one not in the store.

Associate
I'm a bit disappointed with December's games given that most people may already have bought TR as it's been on sale in the store for "Pro" users. They should have made it a non sale game at least or one not in the store.

There is something on the Stadia community page about being able to claim a refund for the games if you have bought them in November. I think you have to claim it though rather than it being an automatic thing.

Associate
People were more than happy to buy TR as it was part of the sale. Called it a bargain in fact.

Now it's being made part of Pro, everyone is waving pitchforks and demanding refunds, even though you'd still have the game if you decide to go down to Base next year...

Back
Top Bottom