• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
I've just upgraded my screen to 1440p / 144Hz and my 1070ti is struggling a lot - not surprising really as it is nearly double the number of pixels and hoping for around double the frame rate. Some games don't reach say 100fps on low :(

The wait for the 3 series begins!

Shouldn't be struggling that bad. I have a GTX 1080 at 1440p and it's still in 9/10 games doing the job.

Whats the rest of the specs?

Associate
I've just upgraded my screen to 1440p / 144Hz and my 1070ti is struggling a lot - not surprising really as it is nearly double the number of pixels and hoping for around double the frame rate. Some games don't reach say 100fps on low :(

The wait for the 3 series begins!

I've got a 1070 and only have to tweak a few settings to get it above 60fps

RDR2 is the exception though

Soldato
Very similar to your PC! A ASUS X470 Prime Pro with a 3700X at stock and 16GB 3600 RAM. RDR for instance I run at low/medium settings at whatever 75% of 1440p is and it gets 60fps or so. 100% GPU usage. Wildlands will get 110 at minimum settings on low with 100% GPU usage too. Just Cause 3 can get about 100 or so on high settings but that is quite an old game now. BF V gets about 80 to 105 on low settings.

Soldato
Which 1440p guys?

The difference between 2560x1440 and 3440x1440 is nearly a whole 1080p screens worth of pixels!

Just ordered an EVGA 2080 Super XC gaming. Upgrade itch been doing my head in. No imminent news of 3000 series so i'm not waiting (quite clearly!)

Caporegime
Which 1440p guys?

The difference between 2560x1440 and 3440x1440 is nearly a whole 1080p screens worth of pixels!

Just ordered an EVGA 2080 Super XC gaming. Upgrade itch been doing my head in. No imminent news of 3000 series so i'm not waiting (quite clearly!)
I think it's safe to say the standard resolution of 2560x1440p. It's the same principle as saying "1080p", the standard resolution of 1980x1080 can be assumed until stated otherwise.

Soldato
Not a chance. I think you're forgetting pixel density on smaller 1440p screens, besides the fact i wouldn't go back to a 60Hz screen now. Higher refresh is noticably smoother when you can hit 90-100+ FPS. so saying it will be a peasant resolution soon is a bit silly considering the fact you need fairly powerful cards to hit high FPS at a "peasant" 1440p.

Not to mention graphics will become more demanding. I'd bet a fair few games will once again be capped at 30FPS on the new consoles either selectively for the better looking games, or within a couple of years.

There are 120 and 144hz 4K monitors around already, not to mention 120hz OLED TVs that are cheaper than some high end monitors.

I think you’re forgetting that the exact same thing happened with the move from 480, 720p to 1080p. Consoles pushed 1080p to the masses, there were still people living in the past, saying that 720p was fine with a small enough monitor for high pixel density etc.

I stand by my statement, next gen of consoles will be the point of no return for 4K. Console optimisation with cutting edge CPU and GPU power will power it. Those on PC at 1080, 1440 will decrease year on year as 4K becomes ubiquitous.

bru

bru

Soldato
The only survey I know of that covers this sort of thing is the steam one and that shows that 1080p is by far the dominant resolution with 64.5% and climbing, With 4k at 1.74%.

So 4k has an awful long way to go yet.

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

I understand that the steam survey isn't the be all and end all of surveys, but I don't know of any others that are as comprehensive.

Soldato
There are 120 and 144hz 4K monitors around already, not to mention 120hz OLED TVs that are cheaper than some high end monitors.

I think you’re forgetting that the exact same thing happened with the move from 480, 720p to 1080p. Consoles pushed 1080p to the masses, there were still people living in the past, saying that 720p was fine with a small enough monitor for high pixel density etc.

I stand by my statement, next gen of consoles will be the point of no return for 4K. Console optimisation with cutting edge CPU and GPU power will power it. Those on PC at 1080, 1440 will decrease year on year as 4K becomes ubiquitous.

I fully agree

The graphics card performance is nearly there AND a lot of people underestimate the motivation that drives a lot of PC gamers - to be better than the console and you can't get some lowly console beat you in graphics

Soldato
Yes I get your point there are other iterations of 1080p too.

I just get all in a twist because I can tell you going from 2560 to 3440 *1440 hits your GPU a fair bit more.

Soldato
And in all likelihood not as good responsiveness as a gaming monitor, if you don't plan to sit close to it i guess a big TV is fine, otherwise enjoy the neck strain from moving your head around constantly to see what's going on.

Pixel density is a valid point, a smaller screen is probably equal or better sharpness at 1440p on a monitor vs a large 4K TV.

Yes so consoles adopt new resolutions and they usually always have. So what? Doesn't mean much when they lack the grunt to even run those resolutions properly, having to resort to dynamic resolution scaling and FPS locks.

PS3 and Xbox 360 were "full HD" consoles.. How many games ran at 1080p again?

Soldato
And in all likelihood not as good responsiveness as a gaming monitor, if you don't plan to sit close to it i guess a big TV is fine, otherwise enjoy the neck strain from moving your head around constantly to see what's going on.

Pixel density is a valid point, a smaller screen is probably equal or better sharpness at 1440p on a monitor vs a large 4K TV.

Yes so consoles adopt new resolutions and they usually always have. So what? Doesn't mean much when they lack the grunt to even run those resolutions properly, having to resort to dynamic resolution scaling and FPS locks.

PS3 and Xbox 360 were "full HD" consoles.. How many games ran at 1080p again?

Not as responsive? You haven't actually tried the new 4K 120hz OLED tvs. Take a few minutes to check the data and even a review or two, you'll see they are as or MORE responsive than any Gaming monitor :)

Man of Honour

The problem is when working within a desktop environment versus console or phone, etc. a lot of people are still working at a per-pixel level in applications, etc. - around 1440p or so you tend to cross over to a point where higher resolutions are most useful for increasing the density of objects (making curves look nicer, etc.) versus increasing available estate and you start to lose easy ability to work at a per-pixel precision and that isn't a universally useful use case unlike the adoptions of 1080p, etc. where that wasn't a factor.

I don't think UHD is going to be adopted at the same level like 1080p, etc. was in the desktop space any time soon - I specifically have multiple monitors (1440p and UHD) so as to get the best of both while for its time a 1440p monitor gave me the best of both and I won't be replacing my main monitor with anything higher res any time soon - despite having a UHD monitor and being able to afford a high refresh UHD one.

Soldato
All I care about at this point is HDMI 2.1 to I can run an LG C9 55" OLED @ 4k 120Hz as a monitor. Either GTX/RTX/loltx or a 'Big' Navi card with HDMI 2.1 gets my money :) Regular monitors are too pathetic to consider anything else, and 1440P is silly at this point, when next gen consoles will push 4k to the masses.

1440P will be the new peasant resolution sooner than most think.
pretty sure LTT did a video showing VRR/LG being enabled for thouse new LG's with HDMI 2.1

Associate
Currently have a Radeon Vii (Don't laugh)

I flirted with the idea of trying to sell it and get a 2080TI

But I think i'd be best waiting for a 3080TI especially if the rumors are correct that these will be priced lower than the previous generation.

What do people think?

Permabanned
Currently have a Radeon Vii (Don't laugh)

I flirted with the idea of trying to sell it and get a 2080TI

But I think i'd be best waiting for a 3080TI especially if the rumors are correct that these will be priced lower than the previous generation.

What do people think?

Well, the Radeon VII is the fastest card that AMD has as of today. We expect second-generation Navi 23 cards sometime mid 2020, hopefully. These should bring performance well above the RX 5700 XT.
How do you find the Radeon VII? Aren't you happy with it?

Soldato
i'd be best waiting for a 3080TI especially if the rumors are correct that these will be priced lower than the previous generation.

What do people think?

Nvidia's market share has increased since RTX came out. So I'd be surprised if they offered a discount next gen since they're selling so well at the current price.

By the way, nobody has any right to laugh at your Radeon VII. Every AMD card sold is one less Nvidia card. This evens the market and helps to knock prices down.

If EVERYONE bought an RTX card, Nvidia's market share would be 100% so prices would rise by hundreds of pounds.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom