• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

So now that all the new Ryzens are here how many cores do we actually need in 2020?

Soldato
For avoiding any low minimums fast 8/16 should easily be enough. A fast 6/12 should be plenty good enough unless there's a very demanding large scale multiplayer out I'd think.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

I think we will only truly start seeing the greater benefit of all these extra cores once the next generation consoles come out (with 8 zen2 cores) and also as software devs get used to the idea of having more cores in programs.

Once they start building apps/programs/games that cater to higher cores, we will see a massive increase in performance and use for these high core CPU's.

Soldato
OP
I think we will only truly start seeing the greater benefit of all these extra cores once the next generation consoles come out (with 8 zen2 cores) and also as software devs get used to the idea of having more cores in programs.

Once they start building apps/programs/games that cater to higher cores, we will see a massive increase in performance and use for these high core CPU's.
I agree with your second paragraph. Better software that can actually make use of the cores will be better for the consumer. When that happens of course we’ll it could still be years off.

As for a console induced benefit I see no such thing. We can get 144+ Fps now on four to six cores and simply don’t need more than that. It may mean cpu gaming workloads are spread across 8 cores instead of loading up 4 but we won’t even notice so meh..:

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

I agree with your second paragraph. Better software that can actually make use of the cores will be better for the consumer. When that happens of course we’ll it could still be years off.

As for a console induced benefit I see no such thing. We can get 144+ Fps now on four to six cores and simply don’t need more than that. It may mean cpu gaming workloads are spread across 8 cores instead of loading up 4 but we won’t even notice so meh..:

I meant that game developers would start building bigger and better games that require more CPU power. The new consoles have 8 zen2 cores, so devs would start building games that will fully utilize the CPU instead of how it was previously with the weak jag cores.

This will soon become the norm, so 8 cores would be the standard.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

That is like 2-3 years away. By then I will have upgraded to a 4900X :D

Soldato
OP
I meant that game developers would start building bigger and better games that require more CPU power. The new consoles have 8 zen2 cores, so devs would start building games that will fully utilize the CPU instead of how it was previously with the weak jag cores.

This will soon become the norm, so 8 cores would be the standard.

8 weak ass cores though;)

To be fair I don’t know how powerful the new console zen cores will be but I have read as high as 1.8ghz so see point 1 ;)

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

8 weak ass cores though;)

To be fair I don’t know how powerful the new console zen cores will be but I have read as high as 1.8ghz so see point 1 ;)

Jaguar cores were garbage, thats a known fact. They are miles behind Zen2.

1.8ghz, where did you get that from? I havent seen any mention of clock speeds anywhere for the consoles

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

That is like 2-3 years away. By then I will have upgraded to a 4900X :D

4900x should be out by this time next year, but even you must admit that the current 3900x is overkill for almost everything. But once these devs make games for the new consoles and use all 8 cores, the 12 core Ryzen would have enough grunt to fully utilise

Soldato

1.8ghz, where did you get that from? I havent seen any mention of clock speeds anywhere for the consoles

1.8 Ghz is the speed of the old Jaguar based CPUs in the PS4 and Xbox One. I have seen 3.2 and 3.4Ghz mentioned in the newer processors but I don't think anything has been confirmed yet.

Associate
1.8 Ghz is the speed of the old Jaguar based CPUs in the PS4 and Xbox One. I have seen 3.2 and 3.4Ghz mentioned in the newer processors but I don't think anything has been confirmed yet.
I like the idea of a zen2 on the new consoles but I mostly want to find out what gpu power they will have. That will be key also for the pc market.

Even with my 11 year old cpu on 4k the bottleneck was my vega 56 and not the cpu in that resolution. Of course now with my new pc even better I get tiny usage on the cpu being a 16core beast but again I need to fork cash for a new gpu...

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
4900x should be out by this time next year, but even you must admit that the current 3900x is overkill for almost everything. But once these devs make games for the new consoles and use all 8 cores, the 12 core Ryzen would have enough grunt to fully utilise
Yeah but I would not buy it at launch price, I will buy it half price or less in 2-3 years time ;)

The IPC and general speed will be better too. That’s why I don’t see the point in getting a 3900X now as a 4900X will fit in this mobo anyways and 3600 more than meets my needs now :D

Soldato

I know it's not next gen but one or two games are already strutting their stuff.

gamers nexus just did a big core count for gaming review and in both assassins creed origins and odyssey - the game's minimum framerate scaled well with cores and Ben up to the 16 cores of the 3950x the framerate was still going up with core count. In fact a stock 3950x achieves a significant lead in 1% and 0.1% lows over a overclocked 9900k in Assassin's Creed games because the engine scales well.

And that ladies and gents is the future - that's what major game engines will run like from next gen.

Soldato
OP

Just a quick and dirty google. As I said I dont really know quite how powerful they will be.

Soldato
I cant see it being anything better than a 5500XT otherwise the console is going to cost too much.

Incorrect.

Phil boy spencer already announced and "the Xbox Series X has double the Xbox One X GPU power"

Below you can see Xbox One X's GPU vs 5500xt. And they are exactly the same, a 5500xt is not an upgrade over the Xbox One X.

So you ask yourself, ok well then what did Phil mean - what GPU AMD makes has double the Xbox One X power?

There is only one answer

Soldato
I know it's not next gen but one or two games are already strutting their stuff.

gamers nexus just did a big core count for gaming review and in both assassins creed origins and odyssey - the game's minimum framerate scaled well with cores and Ben up to the 16 cores of the 3950x the framerate was still going up with core count. In fact a stock 3950x achieves a significant lead in 1% and 0.1% lows over a overclocked 9900k in Assassin's Creed games because the engine scales well.

And that ladies and gents is the future - that's what major game engines will run like from next gen.

To elaborate

AC Origings

5.1ghz 9900k min FPS = 71
Stock 3950x min FPS = 93

So in this game which scales past 8 cores, the 3950x is showing 31% higher minimum framerates.

Back
Top Bottom