Poll: Fox Hunting

Do you support proposed amendments or repeal of the Hunting Act?

• Total voters
Man of Honour
Hmmm, was the equiry a bit biased then? A well place shot Vs being chased and torn apart by a pack of dogs, seems like one is obviously more humane?

No, it wasn't biased, they just looked into (for example) how many shot foxes died instantly vs over an extended period by blood poisoning. That's where the recommendation for lamping comes from (due to the fox freezing in the light, you get a cleaner kill opportunity) but other forms of killing with firearms were put below hunting.

The problem with 'obviously' is that reality tends to be rather more nuanced.

Soldato
A fox hunted by hounds has a digital outcome dead or alive. No glancing blows from fox hounds to go septic. Hounds also kill pretty much instantly the first hound shakes the fox to death, snaps its neck. Fox hunting has always been an aesthetic issue not an animal welfare one.

The current outcome is tolerable and is quite plainly not a priority. A recent BBC R4 interview trying to get a gotcha moment from a Countryside Alliance spokesperson was a damp squid when they told the interviewer that fox hunting was not a national priority and the interviewer was an idiot for implying it was.

Soldato
I do not agree with fox hunting but I would attend one if they rubbed fox scent on saboteurs and hunted them as I hate them with a vengance - dirty scruffy swine.

Associate
I'm a hunter -- I shoot birds, and deer, if I have the chance, and the freezer space. I might also cull foxes (lamp) to protect the smalls of other species too. I *never* buy shop poultry. Ever.

However I don't think the fox hunting by panicking them to near death with dozens of hounds and horses is terribly "sporting" or "humane". I know (I'm told) we (shooters/hunters) are supposed to stick together otherwise "they"'ll erodes our "rights" etc. But frankly, I don't care. I don't like the practice, I know it's a tradition, but really I don't care. There's also the bit about horsey-people just "owning" the road or place they are standing on. I dislike that a lot. I love horses, but the people sitting on them are a bit meh.

And I'll agree with @DXP55 too -- antis are not there to 'protect' anything, they are just there because they like trouble; if it wasn't 'hunting' they'd be 'protecting' something else, especially if it has a chance of being violent. They are just thugs who just found a justification that makes them about barely socially OK.

MOST hunters (I hope) don't have these tendencies. I know I respect my quarry, a lot. Down to when it gets to my plate. Ask that to anyone buying KFC battery chicken.

Soldato
No, it wasn't biased, they just looked into (for example) how many shot foxes died instantly vs over an extended period by blood poisoning. That's where the recommendation for lamping comes from (due to the fox freezing in the light, you get a cleaner kill opportunity) but other forms of killing with firearms were put below hunting.

The problem with 'obviously' is that reality tends to be rather more nuanced.

Food for thought, thanks, though I'll have to look up the means of testing to make a judgement on that too. Lamping sounds like the better grey area I was talking about earlier based on what you are saying there.

Permabanned
Anyone who believes hunting foxes on horseback with hounds has actually stopped is very naive, it's alive and well countrywide. I do not condone it, but realize stopping it will probably never happen. It's deeply entrenched in European history, and like many such things as badger baiting, dog and **** fighting, remains surprisingly prevalent in the same underground way pedophiles ply their trade. If the hunters were honest enough to say they enjoy the social side and an opportunity to "ride recklessly" in flamboyant clothing, I'd have more respect for them. It's an incredibly inefficient way of dispatching a fox, a good man with a rifle and night sights, in a good location, can shoot many in one night.

But to those that take a class stance my experience of hunts in Cheshire and Shropshire suggests the hunters are from all walks of life from(the odd) landed gentry down to working class lads and lasses who scrimp and save to buy, feed and maintain a suitable equine. Most are perfectly reasonable people in and out of the saddle. The New Year hunt will take place soon, very nearby, and it's usually the saboteurs who create trouble, some appear to have no knowledge of hunting or its procedures, but are the sort who will attend any potentially violent protest for their own kicks, the same people may be found at similar protests on any subject that allows them to group and become violent under the guise of any moment in time cause.

When they claim the love and protection of animals is their cause, yet deliberately try and spook horses or even do them physical harm, their true cause of an excuse to become violent becomes apparent. Most of their ululations are based on a perceived "them and us" class difference and often that appears to outweigh any real desire to stop the hunting in itself. From an unemotional standpoint a fox hunt on horseback is stupidly inefficient, if they were a bit more savvy they should listen for the rifle shots of a night and tackle the man with a regular two figure kill. but that's not as much fun as going "toff hunting" :) I remain pragmatically neutral on the subject.

Soldato
I don't fully understand the poll question.

After reading the BBC article, is it saying that now in Wales and England can only use 2 dogs, while in Scotland they can use an unlimited number of dogs?

If an unlimited number of dogs can be used then what is the point of the law?

I'm a hunter -- I shoot birds, and deer, if I have the chance, and the freezer space. I might also cull foxes (lamp) to protect the smalls of other species too. I *never* buy shop poultry. Ever.

However I don't think the fox hunting by panicking them to near death with dozens of hounds and horses is terribly "sporting" or "humane". I know (I'm told) we (shooters/hunters) are supposed to stick together otherwise "they"'ll erodes our "rights" etc. But frankly, I don't care. I don't like the practice, I know it's a tradition, but really I don't care. There's also the bit about horsey-people just "owning" the road or place they are standing on. I dislike that a lot. I love horses, but the people sitting on them are a bit meh.

And I'll agree with @DXP55 too -- antis are not there to 'protect' anything, they are just there because they like trouble; if it wasn't 'hunting' they'd be 'protecting' something else, especially if it has a chance of being violent. They are just thugs who just found a justification that makes them about barely socially OK.

MOST hunters (I hope) don't have these tendencies. I know I respect my quarry, a lot. Down to when it gets to my plate. Ask that to anyone buying KFC battery chicken.

This sums it up nicely.

Soldato
Anyone who believes hunting foxes on horseback with hounds has actually stopped is very naive, it's alive and well countrywide. I do not condone it, but realize stopping it will probably never happen. It's deeply entrenched in European history, and like many such things as badger baiting, dog and **** fighting, remains surprisingly prevalent in the same underground way pedophiles ply their trade. If the hunters were honest enough to say they enjoy the social side and an opportunity to "ride recklessly" in flamboyant clothing, I'd have more respect for them. It's an incredibly inefficient way of dispatching a fox, a good man with a rifle and night sights, in a good location, can shoot many in one night.

But to those that take a class stance my experience of hunts in Cheshire and Shropshire suggests the hunters are from all walks of life from(the odd) landed gentry down to working class lads and lasses who scrimp and save to buy, feed and maintain a suitable equine. Most are perfectly reasonable people in and out of the saddle. The New Year hunt will take place soon, very nearby, and it's usually the saboteurs who create trouble, some appear to have no knowledge of hunting or its procedures, but are the sort who will attend any potentially violent protest for their own kicks, the same people may be found at similar protests on any subject that allows them to group and become violent under the guise of any moment in time cause.

When they claim the love and protection of animals is their cause, yet deliberately try and spook horses or even do them physical harm, their true cause of an excuse to become violent becomes apparent. Most of their ululations are based on a perceived "them and us" class difference and often that appears to outweigh any real desire to stop the hunting in itself. From an unemotional standpoint a fox hunt on horseback is stupidly inefficient, if they were a bit more savvy they should listen for the rifle shots of a night and tackle the man with a regular two figure kill. but that's not as much fun as going "toff hunting" :) I remain pragmatically neutral on the subject.
Would agree with this. Now if only the Sabs could be pointed in the direction of the green laners ;)

Caporegime

Since you seem to be insinuation that the hunters are fine upstanding people, and the sabs are scum of the Earth, I'll just leave this here.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/682770/Secret-video-live-fox-cubs-used-train-hunting-dogs

Fine, upstanding, heartless bar stewards.

Soldato
Tbh i'm not against hunting insofar as i'm not against the type of hunter who takes a bit of pride in the skill required to get a clean kill.

But i must admit i dont dont really see the point in riding around on horses with your mates letting the dogs do all the work, i mean if you want to gallop around the countryside with your mates just go for a ride and leave the dogs at home.

Buserror sums it up pretty well methinks.

Back
Top Bottom