Year 7 High School Maths

Soldato
They've maintained the same distance in the Y axis. The other guy could have added that if we're being pedantic, which we are.
Haha. I was working on the assumption that there was an invisible line on the right that showed that the 5 and 4 length sections were aligned, but yeah being pedantic as possible you could say my comment was wrong.

Good effort @touch being dedicated enough to photoshop the OP

Soldato
They've maintained the same distance in the Y axis. The other guy could have added that if we're being pedantic, which we are.

Yes, the distance they've maintained on the Y axis is 20 units, as marked on the diagram. They've maintained the same distance because they are parallel.
The lengths of these lines has no relation to whether or not they are parallel. One line is marked as 16 units in length, this may or may not be the same as the other line.

I quoted his whole post and said "That's wrong" but actually the first part was right (where he said they would maintain the same distance from each other). The part which I meant was wrong was where he said this implies they are the same length.

Caporegime
It looks like a square but what with monitor resolutions it might not be, I'd measure the missing shape and if it's a square just do 20x16-11x11.

Measure the indent with a ruler and see if it is a perfect square, it could be a common sense test.

Last edited:
Caporegime
If it was my son I'd have him put something like "20*16 - 11x" where x is that missing length

^^^ this tbh... teacher has made a mistake in setting the question

kid can just highlight that he knows how it could be calculated if given sufficient information and that's about it. Show where the 11 comes from and that he knows he could calculate the answer by just taking away the area of the smaller cut out section form the larger square then just leave the above as the answer.

Soldato
It looks like a square but what with monitor resolutions it might not be, I'd measure the missing shape and if it's a square just do 20x16-11x11.

Measure the indent with a ruler and see if it is a perfect square, it could be a common sense test.

I think you need to look at the problem again and apply common sense...

Back
Top Bottom