Advice on co-worker taking drugs at work

Permabanned
Just to recap:
'weird behaviour, work really sloppy, disappearing off at will, constantly going for smoke breaks, eyes all bloodshot, reeking of weed, avoiding conversation'
I don't care if it is "only weed", that sort of behaviour is unacceptable from any employee, let alone one who is supposed to be looking after children. Any of my reports that behaved like that, especially when they're still new, would not be round very long!

You are doing what Dis86 did... The OP said he went to his car, Not that he drove he lives at his place of work. Secondly late and night normally causes bloodshot eyes. Thirdly you can smoke CBD weed and be able to operate machinery heres the shocker it aint physchoactive!

Really theres nothing in the OP but sloppy work accusations which again are false Cannabis does not make you sloppy per say i know people who do multimillion pound welding and they do it stoned and one of them told me if he were caught he would quit. Indeed with thousands of strains and a hundred effects its just hilarious grasping of straws by many here.

This is why OP's other half was ignored by management zero evidence and a poor understanding of CBD, THC etc. Also how does she know what weed smells like as well? Weed has thousands of varietys and smells if i am not mistaken? Perhaps she smelled a bit of skunky pineapple lol... or Blueberrys!

Caporegime
Don’t worry chaps he was obviously just smoking a 100% CBD strain, the bloodshot eyes were because of the street lights at night and the smell was due to his flat mate hotboxin the room, while the poor care worker in question was trying to dry his uniform for the shift.

Soldato
The defence of smoking cannabis in this thread is hilarious :)

The weed smokers jump to the defence of the weed smoker op is describing and go on about how safe it is, and how the person might not even be smoking weed at all.

The fact is you just know when someone is stoned. Weed absolutely stinks of weed, its unmistakable. Their clothes stink, they behave oddly, and by the time someone is smoking weed in work it's because they're addicted and smoking to cope.

If your job involves looking after young people you need a clear head and the capability to communicate effectively with your colleagues. A fit and healthy person shouldn't need to sneak off and skin up when at work.

Caporegime
Don’t worry chaps he was obviously just smoking a 100% CBD strain, the bloodshot eyes were because of the street lights at night and the smell was due to his flat mate hotboxin the room, while the poor care worker in question was trying to dry his uniform for the shift.
He could have rolled in some catmint? It smells quite similar.

So I'm told.

So yeah, a plausible alternate explanation is that he's descended from a cat.

Soldato
As I said, I agree with you on all the other counts apart from having red eyes and avoiding conversation. Those bits don't stop you from being able to do a job correctly.
Part of the job is communicating, with your colleague(s) and your charge(s). If you look like a bag of ******** and people can't get what they need from you, then you are not doing your job correctly.

You are doing what Dis86 did... The OP said he went to his car, Not that he drove he lives at his place of work.
I never said he did drive, though arguably even getting into his car is enough, as being under the influence while in charge of a motor vehicle is (I believe) an offense.
What I did post, which you then quoted, was taken directly from the OP.

Secondly late and night normally causes bloodshot eyes.
I do a LOT of late working shifts and long hours. I'm on one right now, in fact. You don't go away for five minutes and come back 'suddenly' all bloodshot.

Thirdly you can smoke CBD weed and be able to operate machinery heres the shocker it aint physchoactive!
Of course it ******* is!!
It might not be psychotropic... and we have to say 'might' because researchers are still trying to verify that... but it's very definitely psychoactive!!
But surely you knew this?

Either way, the guy is clearly getting stoned at work and doing a **** job, while putting kids' lives at risk as a result. **** him - Get rid of the timewasting ****.

Cannabis does not make you sloppy per say i know people who do multimillion pound welding and they do it stoned
Yeah?
Hop in my car then. I'll take you for a drive and I'll smoke a spliff while I'm doing it - Let's see how safe you feel then, eh?
Incidentally, speaking of sloppy - The term is per se, not "per say".

one of them told me if he were caught he would quit.
Funny that... It's almost as if he knew it was wrong!

Soldato
Part of the job is communicating, with your colleague(s) and your charge(s). If you look like a bag of ******** and people can't get what they need from you, then you are not doing your job correctly.

Again. Looking like you're stoned doesn't mean you actually are stoned. There is a difference. I can see why you are saying the communicating aspect could be an issue but again that may just be down to the type of person he is not wanting to mingle with the others.

Of course it ******* is!!
It might not be psychotropic... and we have to say 'might' because researchers are still trying to verify that... but it's very definitely psychoactive!!
But surely you knew this?

Actually, CBD isn't psychoactive. It will not get you high like THC will.

It’s a type of cannabinoid, which are the chemicals naturally found in marijuana plants. Even though it comes from marijuana plants, CBD doesn’t create a “high” effect or any form of intoxication — that’s caused by another cannabinoid, known as THC.

Source

The first thing to know about CBD is that it is not psychoactive; it doesn’t get people high. The primary psychoactive ingredient in marijuana is tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). But THC is only one of the scores of chemicals – known as cannabinoids – produced by the cannabis plant.

Source

While CBD is not psychoactive, perhaps the better question is whether CBD is intoxicating or not. CBD alone is not intoxicating and, therefore, won’t produce euphoric feelings.

Source

CBD, short for cannabidiol, is a trending ingredient the natural products industry and is the focus of a new area of cannabis research. CBD is one of many cannabinoids, or molecules produced uniquely by the cannabis family. Unlike tetrahydrocannabinol (THC, the primary psychoactive element in marijuana), CBD is non-psychoactive, meaning it doesn't have a strong effect on cognitive brain activity and doesn't cause the "high" associated with marijuana.

Source

Now whether or not the person the OP's partner was complaining about was smoking CBD is another subject all together. CBD is easily obtainable on the Clearnet and smokes and smells exactly the same as other strains of cannabis.

Yeah?
Hop in my car then. I'll take you for a drive and I'll smoke a spliff while I'm doing it - Let's see how safe you feel then, eh?

If you were a seasoned smoker I would feel very safe with you behind the wheel. If you had just smoked your first joint ever then no, i wouldn't feel safe. The same I wouldn't feel safe if you've never had a drink before and you just had your first one.

You seem to have this opinion that anyone who smokes turns into some form of zombie who is unable to function or turns into a rambling, incoherent fool. Maybe it stems from a lack of information or maybe it's just the desire to not know more, full stop.

Anyway. I agree with you. Anyone in a position of care for others shouldn't be taking any form of drug, legal or otherwise (ignoring caffeine etc) before or during work. And those doing so really shouldn't be surprised if they end up losing their job as they brought it on themselves.

I just strongly disagree with your view (and to be honest the Governments archaic views) on drug use in personal time and thinking it's acceptable that someone can be fired from their job because of what they've done in their own personal time. As long as it is not having a negative impact on their work then it's of no concern to the employer if someone smokes. Again, as long as they're not smoking during working hours or being so cavalier that they are seen smoking wearing their works uniform even if out of working hours.

I've been on the other side where I was aware that I had a problem and had to change yet despite that, it never impacted my career to the point people were often surprised to find out I smoked. For something that can stay in your system for so long whilst not affecting your ability to carry out your job to a high standard getting the sack because of that seems unfair.

Associate
How is this 6 pages and no one has suggested talking to the individual in question ???

maybe hes going through a hard time himself, maybe he would stop if he realised what an issue it was, maybe a quiet word asking him not to do it in work again or your be forced to report him would make his see sense.

Caporegime
How is this 6 pages and no one has suggested talking to the individual in question ???

maybe hes going through a hard time himself, maybe he would stop if he realised what an issue it was, maybe a quiet word asking him not to do it in work again or your be forced to report him would make his see sense.

Cmon, these pitch forks and torches don't use themselves :mad:

Soldato

Na. Too sensible. Get him fired instead as he is clearly a scumbag.

Soldato

That video pretty much sums up driving stoned for me, which I used to do a lot in my 20s. You are fully aware you are stoned so you actually take a lot more care of what you are doing. Being stoned doesn't encourage risk taking, pretty much the exact opposite and you concentrate harder because you are stoned. I don't drive stoned anymore because I hardly smoke much these days and back then the police were never interested if you were stoned, just if you were drunk. That has changed now and no way am I risking my licence for s spliff.

Soldato
I can see why you are saying the communicating aspect could be an issue but again that may just be down to the type of person he is not wanting to mingle with the others.
According to the OP, he went to his car for a smoke and when he came back he reeked of weed, was bloodshot and avoiding conversation.
That alone implies a change from his normal state, meaning he's not that type of person, and strongly suggests that yes he was indeed stoned.

Actually, CBD isn't psychoactive. It will not get you high like THC will.
Well, these guys say it is... and they're even the ones who sell it: https://www.cibdol.com/cbd-encyclop...erties-of-cbd-and-why-they-shouldnt-worry-you
"Research aside, we can confirm that yes, CBD is psychoactive"

Also it doesn't have to get you 'high', it just has to affect you in a way that can result in detrimental behaviour or an actual incident... just like it would be with any other drug or medication, legal or otherwise.
That most individuals are most likely taking it for recreational purposes rather than under medicinal prescription, and are thus effectively choosing to behave detrimentally, is only further condemnation... just like it would be with any other drug or medication, legal or otherwise.

Doesn't matter if it's caffeine, nicotine, sugar or what, the guy is on something and it's affecting him, threatening those around him and bringing the company into disrepute. The fact that it might be an illicit form of some substance or other only brings more charges and reasons for dismissal.

Now whether or not the person the OP's partner was complaining about was smoking CBD is another subject all together.
I don't think what he's smoking is a factor at all...
He reeks, he looks like a bag of ********, his work has become sloppy, he is seeming not meeting his responsibilities, he's acting like a **** and it is adversely affecting those around him.
THOSE are what the OP's partner has the problem with.

If you had just smoked your first joint ever then no, i wouldn't feel safe.
Oh really? And why on Earth would that be, I wonder......?
It's perfectly safe, you know. It doesn't get you high, or anything. Look, here's a website that says so....

You seem to have this opinion that anyone who smokes turns into some form of zombie who is unable to function or turns into a rambling, incoherent fool. Maybe it stems from a lack of information or maybe it's just the desire to not know more, full stop.
Not at all.
I've had a few turns with it in several forms my own self, as well as a fair bit more experience watching other people and their antics. I've understood why The Delicate Sound Of Thunder is that good, and been so stoned that I actually started to enjoy The Beatles!
I've seen stoned people create wonderful works of art and music... just as I've seen people 'green out' on Durban Poison. I've known people go on to much harder substances and ruin their lives as a gateway effect, I've picked up the pieces of more than one car crash, I've dodged a burst of automatic fire from someone who couldn't remember what state his weapon was in, and I've lost relationships to it.

Yes, some people can be fine with it. Others not so much. This guy is the latter.

As long as it is not having a negative impact on their work then it's of no concern to the employer if someone smokes. Again, as long as they're not smoking during working hours or being so cavalier that they are seen smoking wearing their works uniform even if out of working hours.
My view is not necessarily that of the government, although I have less tolerance due to my own experiences, but I believe that to be quite justified.
The issue in this thread is that all the things you mention in the quote above are happening in this guy's case.

For something that can stay in your system for so long whilst not affecting your ability to carry out your job to a high standard getting the sack because of that seems unfair.
Until a very reliable method exists to verify not only when something happened, but to prove beyond all doubt whether or not it's affecting you, there is no other option but a blanket ban.
While I will say your argument sounds quite reasonable and fair, that very same reasoning should similarly see me allowed to own a lot of the firearms that are now banned in the UK... and for the same reasons by the same reasoning, I obviously won't be allowed them!!

I don't think he wants to talk... From the OP:
"he avoided conversation with her, he made his excuses, grabbed a drink and some snacks and went to bed for the night"

hes going through a hard time himself, maybe he would stop if he realised what an issue it was, maybe a quiet word asking him not to do it in work again or your be forced to report him would make his see sense.
Many workplaces have a zero tolerance policy toward drugs anyway, so he'd still have to be dismissed. He'd have been told about it before he started, so it's not like he has any excuse or reasons for leniency.

I think the most tragic aspect of all this is that someone still smokes weed, why not use a PAX3?
Because you're then effectively a vaper, which some would argue is even worse...!! :p

Caporegime
Stand by for the multi quotes, ttaskmaster is primed and ready to take on everyone... Posts will be broken down into a line or two at a time.

Soldato
I think the most tragic aspect of all this is that someone still smokes weed, why not use a PAX3?

Because the Mighty is better :p

@ttaskmaster - You're cutting out the parts where I literally agree with you that he shouldn't be doing it *at* work. Or Why it was fairly obvious why I wouldn't trust someone with no tolerance vs someone who is seasoned. Ah well, we are going in circles

NVP

NVP

Soldato
:D
I think a lot of people who have only seen people acting high on TV or have tried it once in their life struggle to understand that. If you have any form of tolerance towards it, the effects it has on you dealing with day to day life is minor... bar short term memory. My short term memory is awful sometimes, often forget what I am watching once the adverts hit.

Hell, I failed my first driving test and the night before I decided not to smoke. The time I smoked the night before my test I passed with 1 minor.
Take a month break and you'll notice how much smarter and more powerful your brain functionality is.

Soldato
Take a month break and you'll notice how much smarter and more powerful your brain functionality is.

I have actually just come off a month T break and now I am only smoking at weekends. First week or so was not enjoyable for myself or my partner to be around me. Gone from smoking a lot daily to day to under that a weekend now. If nothing else, my bank account feels great. Though I have had some really bizarre dreams. Often mundane but very, very bizarre

Last edited:
Caporegime

#triggered

@ttaskmaster - You're cutting out the parts where I literally agree with you that he shouldn't be doing it *at* work. Or Why it was fairly obvious why I wouldn't trust someone with no tolerance vs someone who is seasoned. Ah well, we are going in circles

That's the problem with his multi quote thing, it removes context... he cuts things into little snippets/lines and then just spews a bunch of lines in reply to it. It's a legit issue to highlight but he tends to get rather angry/abusive etc..

Soldato
You're cutting out the parts where I literally agree with you that he shouldn't be doing it *at* work.
Yep, because what you do and when/where you do it is not the issue.
It's whether you are at all under the influence and whether your behaviour is at all detrimental as a result. Many drugs (legal and otherwise) can have effects that last longer than just the high or the buzz.

Why it was fairly obvious why I wouldn't trust someone with no tolerance vs someone who is seasoned. Ah well, we are going in circles
Fairly obvious, you say....?
Fine, I've been a heavy drinker for 25 years. Spirits only. Plenty of seasoning, there - Wanna come for a drive, while I knock back a bottle of Famous Grouse, then?
Yeah, didn't think so...

#triggered
Is that really the reason you do this, then? The attention?

That's the problem with his multi quote thing, it removes context... he cuts things into little snippets/lines and then just spews a bunch of lines in reply to it. It's a legit issue to highlight but he tends to get rather angry/abusive etc..
The context is still there, perfectly safe. No need to worry yourself about it.
If you can't remember what you wrote, maybe you shouldn't be smoking any more of that green ****!!

Soldato
Fairly obvious, you say....?
Fine, I've been a heavy drinker for 25 years. Spirits only. Plenty of seasoning, there - Wanna come for a drive, while I knock back a bottle of Famous Grouse, then?
Yeah, didn't think so...

Yes it's very obvious and it's a reach to compare drinking intoxication to the effects of smoking a spliff or two. I've never been unable to see clearly or even see double, lose control of my motor functions to the point i'm a stumbling mess and slurring my speech from smoking. It's two clearly different feelings and if you had an ounce of objectivity within you, you'd be aware of that. I could polish off a quarter this evening* and at worst I'll be driving slower than i would normally. I'm not going to be swerving across the roads like drink drivers are. So to answer your question; I wouldn't get in the car with anyone who's had more than 1 drink yet I wouldn't bat an eyelid if my friend had just stubbed out a spliff and then decided to drive*. My friends and I have all been daily smokers for decade(s) yet none of us have ever had so much as a scratch in a car accident. The two drivers who I know that have had accidents had them as they were stupid enough to drink drive (one was fatal). Neither are good things to do but you're quite clearly comparing apples to oranges.

*Not advocating it's a sensible thing to do or even acceptable.

Caporegime
I have actually just come off a month T break and now I am only smoking at weekends. First week or so was not enjoyable for myself or my partner to be around me. Gone from smoking a lot daily to day to under that a weekend now. If nothing else, my bank account feels great. Though I have had some really bizarre dreams. Often mundane but very, very bizarre

That's weird, I thought it wasn't addictive yet sounds like you're having withdrawals!

Back
Top Bottom