What retro things have you done today?

Soldato
Yes I am familiar with the struggle of sneaking old PC components into the house! "I saw an add on Gumtree for just this bit - but the seller ended up having loads of stuff!" :D

My weekend started off quite well too - my CMS-301 and controller chips arrived. I love the square wave sound on videos online so I hope it sounds just as great in practice!

UFGEbr9h.jpg

A blood sacrifice was necessary but yup it sounds great!

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes I am familiar with the struggle of sneaking old PC components into the house! "I saw an add on Gumtree for just this bit - but the seller ended up having loads of stuff!" :D

My weekend started off quite well too - my CMS-301 and controller chips arrived. I love the square wave sound on videos online so I hope it sounds just as great in practice!

UFGEbr9h.jpg

A blood sacrifice was necessary but yup it sounds great!

Thats good work! Do you literally just push them in? Any software or jumpers to change?

As for my parts...

I told her the truth but added "I might move some of it on and make my money back.." to which she replied "you say that with all the bits you pick up!" :D

Soldato
There is a jumper that I forgot to change, and it was missing half the notes. I took the chips out (They're socketed), bending them and stabbing my self in the process, to see if I needed to reseat or something them before I remembered the jumper! Luckily it works fine after straightening the chips out and also setting the jumper!

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Finished building this today (running Pi4 with with a good Amiberry config on Amibian, loaded with Workbench 3.1.4, UAE gfx @ 1080p, full WHD load install via iGame launcher). Unsure if I prefer the black or white k/b.

yslI9AKh.jpg
D2ahLeVh.jpg
hhLhlzqh.jpg
49yPgIqh.jpg
j2svRpth.jpg
0OscxrS.png

Soldato
Looks nice in the black case!! I collected this lot this morning:

te1.jpg

te2.jpg

te3.jpg

te4.jpg

te5.jpg

te6.jpg

te7.jpg

te8.jpg

te9.jpg

te10.jpg

te11.jpg

te12.jpg

te13.jpg

Caporegime
Amazon 5-pin DIN to PS/2 adapters arrived so finally booted the Pentium 200 MMX into DOS 6.22. Seems to be working great, fired up Doom and it plays fantastically.

Not sure what OS to go with on this, also no HDD yet, so either need to try one of my larger IDE drives (they are all 80GB or larger so I'll sacrifice a fair bit of disk space if I use any OS older than 2000) or get hold of another CF2IDE.

Soldato
Im thinking of buying a few ide-cf adapters as I am now going to be having a few systems.

A 200mhz pc seems too fast for pure dos and even 95 but not anything near what you could push a 98 pc.

I picked up that ebay lot today.... Some pics will follow after dinner ;) Its been a good day!

Caporegime
Im thinking of buying a few ide-cf adapters as I am now going to be having a few systems.

A 200mhz pc seems too fast for pure dos and even 95 but not anything near what you could push a 98 pc.

Whilst 200MHz is quick for DOS, the machine does have a Turbo setting to slow it down for proper old school compatibility. I've still yet to get the 486 to do anything at all (so it might be terminal), and my 386SX is too slow for proper DOS gaming. This might actually be the best PC to hand at the moment for a multiboot between DOS and possibly 95 OSR2. My Slot-1 P3 is better suited to 98SE/ME, and my dual-P3 is perfect for 2000 and early XP (though I have two dual P3 machines so I guess one per OS!)

I picked up that ebay lot today.... Some pics will follow after dinner ;) Its been a good day!

Can't wait to see the details of what you got!

Soldato
Ok so the first thing to go over is the 386 pc. I will try and grab a good picture of the case later but needless to say the case is pristine (just very grubby). No marks and once cleaned I think will look like new. Has a mhz indicator on the front too.
The seller had told me via message that the pc would turn on for a split second and then instantly power off. I had watched a video quite literally last week of a youtuber fixing a 386 with the same issue and it was a capacitor near the power connectors.
Once I cracked the case open and had finished the initial scan for blue corrosion I looked at those caps and sure enough one has exploded. Also it looks like I have got to it just in time the only corrosion present is on the leg of that jumper.

Included in the system was a 43mb seagate HDD (Untested so far)

A goldstar i/o controller (untested so far)

a trident TVGA 8900C ISA video card with the full 1mb memory. (tested working)

I will not attempt anything on the 386 until I have managed to source and replace those 4 caps and remove that battery.

Next up is the slot 1 board.

For some reason I was expecting a pentium 2 but after looking at the back of the cpu:

Nice! a pentium 3. I was looking at how the jumpers were set on the motherboard and there actually was no key to how they were currently set. A quick dig online showed that there was more settings and it was set to 600mhz.

After a little bit of faffing and some precarious motherboard placement we have life!
It actually was working fine instantly but I was using one of the monitors from the lot to test it and actually it turns out that it does not work so I wasted about 30mins with that.

Onto the random parts:

Yamaha OPL3 "MF-719" Rev:1.0 (untested)

Not got on to testing yet but doesnt look like there is any damage so I am hopeful.

This random as hell card which I can only assume somehow splits a VGA signal into svideo?
It has a vga input and output as well as svideo and a yellow component cable?

boxed dos 5.0?

creative cd drive

These are the things that interest me the most although there is quite a lot of other bits I will keep. plenty of ide/floppy/sata cables. some New in box ddr 512mb. That cooler master case in the p3 pic.
a couple of other cd drives/writers/ quite a few nics including a nice looking intel one. loads of assorted cables. Oh and the original delivery box for the 386 pc and monitor (I have not even got that CRT out of the car yet.)

On the negative side the s775 pc is very dead lots of motherboard beeps followed by noises I have never heard from a pc speaker before. Not really worth my time to bother with much more than basic testing. both the lcd screens appear to not work (one didnt have a stand and fell over in the car anyway) and the other one although powers on nicely doesnt seem to accept a vga signal. It may work wth dvi. About a binbag full of random old AC adapters and cables that are no use anymore which I will just chuck away.

Lots for me to get on with tho!

I think I will get some ide-cf adapters for both p3 systems and for the p1 system. If I can get the 386 going I will likely move it on as its before my time but it is my main priority to fix it!

I am now at 3 p3 systems so its likely I will move on the compaq one as its all oem stuff with no AGP.

What a wall of text... I think we need a thread where we can list what vintage/retro systems we have! :)

Caporegime
What you plan on doing with that? urgh I hated desktop cases like that lol
Desktop cases were a MUST. 15”-17” CRTs were HEAVY, but 9 times out of 10 needed raising up from the desk for proper eye-level use. Buying a monitor stand would have been relatively pointless as you could just use the hefty steel PC.

Plus desktop cases look great!

Soldato
Setup my new full-sized 'TheC64' Commodore 64 replica, next to my 3900x PC :D

Ok. It's not a real C64, but it's pretty darn close (my original C64 is poorly).

I've had a ball visiting the old Compunet demos and playing the old text adventures. The form factor and real keyboard make is seem far more 'real' than a computer emulator.

Back
Top Bottom