What retro things have you done today?

Soldato
Had just under an hour on the p3 machine playing one of the most underrated RTS games of all time. Proper nostalgia hit from the first note of the music.

Just a nice stroll against the AI while picking up some of the bits of the game that I have forgotten. Time well spent!

Soldato
Sadly the card has some problems- it wasn't detected at all in my Slot 1 PC after changing the jumpers to different IRQs etc. It was detected just fine on my 386 system though.

However it produces constant cracking and whines in accordance with what the PC is doing. During the RAM check it screams, during Post it almost sounds like a HDD, when sat on the C: prompt it whines, which stops when I change my active directory to the A: drive. When I use the test-sbc.exe which detects the irq and lets you play a sample FM syth and sound blaster sound effect, it makes... noise but nothing like what it should.

Is this likely to be the jack or a capacity issue?

Soldato
I spent way too much time researching the -5v as I was considering it a reason my other board would not post. I remember finding a few posts which said there is not much that actually uses it except a few soundcards. I also remember reading someone having the same issues you are and that was a -5v issue.

Soldato
Too slow for XP, overkill for games that really need W98, and without the ISA slots for a W98 / DOS PC. Doesn't have a 12v (or is it 5v) 4-pin CPU power connector, so it can't be pushed too far with modern power supplies....

I would just move it on I think, if you want to make space or are like me and set yourself arbitrary rules about selling some kit before buying more kit!

Having said that I've got 0 watchers on my relatively nice Socket A 2100+ system for £30 inc. delivery so maybe it won't be worth much!

Caporegime
Bought a socket 3 motherboard and ST Microelectronics DX66 CPU (unneeded as I have a genuine Intel DX2-66 sat here in a box). Got an AT PSU on the way, but have no AT/Baby-AT case to put it in. Really struggling to find one :(

Caporegime
Was flicking through the “junk” stores at work and stumbled across four matched PIII Xeon 700 Slot 2 CPUs.

Mine if I want them (along with 4GB of ECC RAM), but I imagine finding a decent board to go alongside them is going to be challenging, even if it were only a dual rather than quad CPU board.

Also found two socket 604 3.4GHz Xeons, but meh, netburst.

Soldato
Bought a socket 3 motherboard and ST Microelectronics DX66 CPU (unneeded as I have a genuine Intel DX2-66 sat here in a box). Got an AT PSU on the way, but have no AT/Baby-AT case to put it in. Really struggling to find one :(
AT cases seem to be worth more than the systems that go in them!
Surprised nobody has jumped on this with a kickstarter for them.

Back
Top Bottom