Another bizarre "equality" case

Soldato
Well what's pay got to do with equality?

Ie unless we want to recycle some failed Marxist policy, we acknowledge that some jobs are more dangerous, more challenging, more risky, more stressful and more demanding......and therefore they get paid more.

And if some people are going to take more stressful jobs, then quite fine they get paid more. Just like I'm quite content to have more time, know my family etc instead.

Study I mentioned above:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...2018/09/23/gender-paygap-uber-case-study/amp/

Jobs yes, the people who do them no... How is that Marxist?

Soldato
so the bbc have now reported they rolled over on another claim - 400k sarah montegue world at one ... this is tax payers money, they were complaining they cant subsidise free license fees, it's not surprising.

their legal teams needs to man up and put a finger in the dam - it would be cheaper to start fighting these cases based on evaluating the star+technical merit of the individuals, rather than just conceed individually because the legal fees might exceed the demanded settlement cost.

Maybe Boris is right, every dog has it's day.

Caporegime
OP
Well it was reported previously that lawyers believe there are "hundreds" of claims that the BBC is now likely to lose, following the precedent set by Samira.

That precedent being that you don't actually need any evidence of gender discrimination to win a gender discrimination case at tribunal.

Caporegime
Well it was reported previously that lawyers believe there are "hundreds" of claims that the BBC is now likely to lose, following the precedent set by Samira.

That precedent being that you don't actually need any evidence of gender discrimination to win a gender discrimination case at tribunal.

I wonder if we will get another layer, any guys who then retrospectively (once the compo is taken into account) end up having earned less than these female presenters also go on to make claims....

Like there have been multiple today show presenters right? so if this latest one has compared herself to the highest paid bloke and got a load of back pay/compo... well surely any other lower blokes are potentially being discriminated against too?

Carry it on recursively and everyone gets paid the same....

Soldato
Exactly - let's move gender out the way. Attenborough resigns and you replace - you deserve the same salary by default.... Really?

No? But again we’re making what appear to be almost intentionally erroneous comparisons for the sake of hyperbole.. For starters I’m also a man so sex discrimination would be difficult but also, I’m not a TV presenter with decades of experience. If I were a woman with that comparable experience and ws paid significantly less then that could be on dodgy ground.

That said, I’ve also repeatedly made the point that this is potentially a silly place to start the debate due to the point you make about this being extremely hard to compare.

At the same time I do think there’s still an issue in society more widely on this to the extent where it’s measurable on a macro level.

More to the point the thread has developed in exactly the way I expected… we’ve had the nonsense comparisons suggesting sex equality in pay is the same as everything being equal (brain surgeons and cleaners I think it was) and the wilful ignorance that you can operate at different levels in the same job (footballers) which facilitate and necessitate different levels of pay.

All the way to the proper caveman “woman are just lazy” which is pretty much where this debate starts.

It’s at turns amusing and depressing… I don’t know what some in here are even suggesting.. everything is fine so stop even trying? That it’s a bad idea, that women should know their place or that this specific example is a bad one.. because plenty seem wound up but to what end?

Soldato
Well I feel I can contribute from the 'other side' of this argument - I'm always curious why we don't hear about the drive to get women to equal representation in jobs like bin collection, firefighters, farming, bricklayers, lorry drivers, oil riggers etc...

It's just funny that there's much focus on getting women into CEO positions, high paid journalism etc rather than the often low paid, high risk jobs that result in men 10x more likely to be killed at work!

Ah well, just give me the big salary... ;)

No, but TV work (like radio) is notoriously intangible - ie why did Terry Wigan attract millions more Radio 2 listeners? The idea these jobs are homogeneous is daft!

You are WAY too sensible. Cut it out ffs.

Soldato
afaik we don't know how much Attenborough is payed, but that is a 'job' where other folks could narrate the same script, commenting on the fantastic film shots, and provide similar entertainment and educational value ... its just down to the tonality/clarity/enthusiasm of their voice, being appealing.
[Think if we had (Richard burton, Audrey Hepburn), Morgan freeman, Connery, ... narrating, however we need to beware of voice overexposure and viewer fatigue ... him again.]
- very different to Radio 4 today political interview with Boris, or Marcos De sautoy/brian cox/Schama's expertise, on a documentary.

The horse bolted with equal prize money at wimbledon etc. ... was it last year, the womens final had more viewers because the male final intersected wiith a football match.

BBC director , lord hall, getting out now, apparently..

Soldato
Is Jeremy Vine's job significantly more dangerous, challenging, risky, stressful and demanding than Samira Ahmed's job then?

It actually might well be.

"Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown" and all that.

Once somebody is in a top position, they have a hell of a lot more to lose.

(Especially since we are now moving into an era where those at the top can potentially lose their position, not so much to direct competetrs, but mediocre upstarts with good lawyers!)

Soldato
R4 Hariett Harman evangalising about the inequalities at the BBC, 'cloud of unequal pay shame' , with no awareness , or concession, that not all animals are equal,
this just fuels the debate, hopefully the populus is becoming cognisant that polticians words, are often self serving.

Man of Honour
I can't remember the last time I watched the BBC. The only time is when I leave the news on in in the mornings for the kids as they have breakfast.

I might well just bin my TV license this year and stop watching live TV altogether. There is very little of value on it.

Capodecina
Soldato
I can't remember the last time I watched the BBC. The only time is when I leave the news on in in the mornings for the kids as they have breakfast.

I might well just bin my TV license this year and stop watching live TV altogether. There is very little of value on it.
This post makes little sense unless you give some examples of the valuable things you do watch - elsewhere :confused:

Caporegime
OP
No? But again we’re making what appear to be almost intentionally erroneous comparisons for the sake of hyperbole.. For starters I’m also a man so sex discrimination would be difficult but also, I’m not a TV presenter with decades of experience. If I were a woman with that comparable experience and ws paid significantly less then that could be on dodgy ground.
Samira Ahmed and Jeremy Vine don't have comparable experience or comparable recognition.

Comparing David Attenborough to some unknown BBC3 presenter is analogous.

It's not hyberbole, given that the situation in the thread/OP is largely the same as D.A.'s replacement expecting the same pay as D.A. Samira Ahmed is a nobody who presents one show that has a tiny fraction of any of Jeremy's audience figures for any show he does.

Back
Top Bottom