/edit - This is why Windows sucks. No shutdown via RDP, incorrect versions, etc etc. whinge whinge.

Commissario
I have two PCs that I connect to via RDP. Both are running Windows 10.

One has the options to shut down and restart, the other doesn't.

tykd0Uq.png

UbSPnMx.png

I'm not aware of anything I did to the first one to make them show and I can't find anything to tell me how to do it.

How can I enable these options on the second system please?

Caporegime
just do ctrl+alt+end and choose shutdown there.

edit: they look like they're on different builds, the new style (top) menu, has been around for quite some time now

Commissario
OP
I built them both myself, they're fresh out of the box installs from USB sticks created by the Windows Media Creation tool thingie. I haven't tweaked any policies.

Commissario
OP
You 100% sure they're the same Windows 10 build?
Not at all, I never claimed they were. One is old (but I do all the updates I'm offered), one was built yesterday.

The version numbers are odd. The older one which has the options says this:
yHIYouw.png

The newer one which I built last night using an image created using the Windows media creation doofer says this:
lfgXyap.png

That looks older to me :confused:

Soldato
Build 10240 is the very first release of Windows 10. If that is the one which doesn't have the options you want then rebuild it from an image of the latest version of Windows 10.

Caporegime
Update the old one and you'll get the options, why are you running such an out of date build?

Support of version 1507 ended on May 9, 2017 for devices in the Current Branch and Current Branch for Business; however, devices configured to receive updates from the Current Branch and Current Branch for Business continued to receive updates until June 27, 2018

Commissario
OP
OK, I'm doing the updates, thanks.

Update the old one and you'll get the options, why are you running such an out of date build?
Yesterday I ran the Windows Media creation tool which generated me a USB stick which is what I used to install. I didn't chose the version, it's just what installed.

Commissario
OP
Oh for crying out loud. People wonder why I dislike Windows so much.

I've spent all day getting this set up using a Windows installer I downloaded from Microsoft yesterday.

After the above, I ran Windows update but it wouldn't update so I did it through the web site.

zZRnQwt.png

So everything I've done today has been wasted. I've got to recover the PC from the rack (it's headless) and plug a monitor, mouse and keyboard back into it so that I can effectively start again from scratch.

Pathetic, absobloodylutely pathetic. :mad::mad::(:mad:

Permabanned
You can say that for most things in Windows 10 - it is like the people developing it don't actually use it and/or don't use it with the implementation as per the public release.

Yep I know. Don't people test these bloody systems before they release them. There are millions of ways they can make it better they just choose not too. It's as though they want problems.

Commissario
OP
I really don't get it. It's Windows 10 updating Windows 10. Why on earth can't it manage what should be a relatively simple task without effectively installing a complete new OS?

It means I've wasted an entire day today and tomorrow will be a write off as well. It's not as though it's easy for me at the moment, I've still not got a huge amount of movement in my right arm and it's going to be difficult to get the PC back onto a desk and typing/using the mouse isn't easy either.

Man of Honour
I really don't get it. It's Windows 10 updating Windows 10. Why on earth can't it manage what should be a relatively simple task without effectively installing a complete new OS?

It means I've wasted an entire day today and tomorrow will be a write off as well. It's not as though it's easy for me at the moment, I've still not got a huge amount of movement in my right arm and it's going to be difficult to get the PC back onto a desk and typing/using the mouse isn't easy either.

You can load 1909 image directly from mirosoft with all the updates, doesn't take 15 mins to install and update an earlier build :)

Back
Top Bottom