BMW and M Power Owners

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Not sure about sludgy oil, diesels always used to be fine, it was just the introduction of DPFs which suddenly gave them the bad for low mileage use rep.

The Lexus RX are pretty horrible but then I hate Japanese cars really (all Lexus horrible imo)

I did have an L322 Range Rover which was absolutely fantastic and was actually very reliable for us, but again very long in tooth now unfortunately. More of a sub £15k option max now really. L405 are a bit scary and way over your budget.

Soldato
Why an X5? If she's not doing many miles have you considered looking at an X1? They are reliable and decently sized. If too small an X3 is also a good option. I haven't read your other posts however unless it's the main family car an X5 is overkill for not doing many miles.

Personally I'd rather have a newer/better spec'd X3 than an older X5 for the money.

Man of Honour
Isn't there an issue of sludgy oil etc. from not getting to temp? I thought it's generally accepted that petrol engines are better in this scenario

This issue is true of both petrol and diesel engines - bk engine is well suited to very low mileage.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Not sure about sludgy oil, diesels always used to be fine, it was just the introduction of DPFs which suddenly gave them the bad for low mileage use rep.

The Lexus RX are pretty horrible but then I hate Japanese cars really (all Lexus horrible imo)

I did have an L322 Range Rover which was absolutely fantastic and was actually very reliable for us, but again very long in tooth now unfortunately. More of a sub £15k option max now really. L405 are a bit scary and way over your budget.
If it was just the DPF giving it a bad rep then I guess it's no biggy - just been stung a lot with the last diesels I've had, however I will not be driving this one so perhaps could give it a fairer chance of survival. I'm gonna send my first big bill your way though :p

Why an X5? If she's not doing many miles have you considered looking at an X1? They are reliable and decently sized. If too small an X3 is also a good option. I haven't read your other posts however unless it's the main family car an X5 is overkill for not doing many miles.

Personally I'd rather have a newer/better spec'd X3 than an older X5 for the money.
X3 and the like had a boot too small for our needs when we first looked as we took the double pram etc and it would not fit in the x3 with bassinet - however, we stopped using the bassinet months ago so the footprint of the folded pram is much smaller now... might be time to give the X3 another try, although I can't find a single petrol F25 on auto trader :confused:

I have found a few Q5's which have a 540l boot (same as a cayenne, and bigger than the X3) if it fits the pram and stuff then might not be a bad option.

I also want to show her a Kodiaq in the flesh, bonus with the extra seats.

This issue is true of both petrol and diesel engines - bk engine is well suited to very low mileage.
bk engine?

Last edited:

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
If it was just the DPF giving it a bad rep then I guess it's no biggy - just been stung a lot with the last diesels I've had, however I will not be driving this one so perhaps could give it a fairer chance of survival. I'm gonna send my first big bill your way though :p

Haha, i am still waiting for one from my F25. Had it around 8/9 months now and 5-6k miles, touching wood ive not spent a single penny on it whatsoever bar having to replace the LED drivers in all of the rear lights (very cheap/quick DIY and all F cars with LED rear lights need this at some point as i understand). F15 do it too like this: https://i.imgur.com/qPrTvsf.png

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Been checking out the F25 - did no one buy a petrol version or something? Every single one is a diesel! If I go diesel it'll be the F15, but really trying to avoid that, although don't want an unreliable petrol (if they are as dodgy as you guys say re: e70) either.

Keep falling back to the Q5, the xc60 is much nicer but wife has a hang up about the Volvo badge it seems :(

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Hi Guys a few months ago I've got myself e82 n55 135i, and I am thinking about remapping. Where is the best place to get it done in the West Midlands area?
Just so your Q doesnt get lost in my nonsense. I know Simon @ emaps is decent, only a generic map rather than tailored on a rolling road. Can check his website for the gainz and he comes to you, he's met me in Liverpool, Milton Keynes and Birmingham.

I'm sure others will be able to suggest better alternatives.

Last edited:

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Been checking out the F25 - did no one buy a petrol version or something? Every single one is a diesel! If I go diesel it'll be the F15, but really trying to avoid that, although don't want an unreliable petrol (if they are as dodgy as you guys say re: e70) either.
I think the only places that you'll find any used F25 petrols are the states and middle east :p The 3L diesel is very good though, frankly if the DPF dies down the line then i'll look at either replacing it or "delete" options if that is still feasible without any MOT hassle (Definitely dont want to mess around with the MOT as my village garage are honest!). There are new replacements for £350 available at a quick glance so i guess i'll do that if it happens. It is not something IMO to be particularly concerned about.

Man of Honour
My M140i is coming up to a year old and I've just had an email to say my Online Entertainment is expiring, am I right in thinking this is just Deezer? The renewal price is quite expensive (£179) so I'm not going to renew if it's just Deezer it affects as I have Spoitify Family which works out at £5 a month.

From the BMW ConnectedDrive website:

A free choice of music wherever you are: BMW Online Entertainment offers you direct and unlimited access to more than 30 million music tracks. You can use the BMW Music flat-rate voucher to open an account for unlimited music access with a BMW Music partner (currently Deezer or Napster).

The advantages for you:
  • Access to more than 30 million songs by flat-rate account with a BMW music partner (at the moment Deezer Napster)
  • Music downloads are possible in the vehicle onto the built-in hard disc
  • Music account is transferrable to other devices
  • Works in 10 EU countries with no additional costs
I only ever use Deeer via CarPlay and I never download songs to the car, so unless I'm missing something obvious it's literally just my Deezer Premium account that will stop working?

Back
Top Bottom