Cpu extreme high temp :( i9 9900k

Associate
OP
If you sent a de-lidded chip back to Intel should it die I'd be very surprised if they were unaware, and I'd be even more surprised if it didn't negatively effect your warranty.

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P0000490Tn6SAE/official-stance-on-delid?language=en_US

Official response from an Intel rep on the subject of delidding.

I'd not take the chance personally.

Read my above response though, I edited it after glancing back over the thread.

To reiterate:
The temp in the room is 24-25 (i thought you meant case temp).
I am using a nzxt h510i case. It has to fans, one in the back of the case and the other above.
I bought the cpu from a retail store not intel, so..they won t figure it out. But I am not planning to return it if I delid it. Would be waste of money.

Soldato
The temp in the room is 24-25 (i thought you meant case temp).
I am using a nzxt h510i case. It has to fans, one in the back of the case and the other above.
I bought the cpu from a retail store not intel, so..they won t figure it out. But I am not planning to return it if I delid it. Would be waste of money.

Normal enough.

Your case is decent, I'm guessing your fans are a front intake and rear exhaust? Everything is more or less within expectations really that being the case.

I would consider a return on your 9900K before you think about a delid, give a second chip a chance if it's that important you get stable for synthetics, but as I mentioned earlier if all you do is game and you're not having problems there I'd not be massively concerned. Of course, there's the Kraken you mentioned earlier to test also, so there might be a fix before you need to go to any extremes regardless.

The 9900K is technically the best gaming chip, but good lord the potential PITA is more than I'd want to deal with when trying to OC it, I feel for you bud.

Associate
OP
Normal enough.

Your case is decent, I'm guessing your fans are a front intake and rear exhaust? Everything is more or less within expectations really that being the case.

I would consider a return on your 9900K before you think about a delid, give a second chip a chance if it's that important you get stable for synthetics, but as I mentioned earlier if all you do is game and you're not having problems there I'd not be massively concerned. Of course, there's the Kraken you mentioned earlier to test also, so there might be a fix before you need to go to any extremes regardless.

The 9900K is technically the best gaming chip, but good lord the potential PITA is more than I'd want to deal with when trying to OC it, I feel for you bud.
Both fans are exhaust. Yes I will see how it goes with the aio.
It is true ..in game everything s fine but still, I paied for it and I want to be as good as possible, or at least not a faulty one

Last edited:
Soldato
Your fans should function as a front intake and a rear exhaust, if the front is an exhaust it'll have a negative impact on your temps, although I doubt it'd be quite so major as you've explained.

Associate
OP
Your fans should function as a front intake and a rear exhaust, if the front is an exhaust it'll have a negative impact on your temps, although I doubt it'd be quite so major as you've explained.
No. There is no intake. The front panel is closed. Only two exhaust in the rear. Look at the photos
https://www.forit.ro/carcase/nzxt/255777-h510i-white-black/
But then again those are fine tunning. I think I have a bigger issue here. Or...most of i9 are the same. That s what I m looking for ..someone with i9 :))

Soldato
Permabanned
Haver not read complete thread for now (headache) but you say it is 90C but the cooler is warm not hot, in that case its not transferring to it fully, you need to look at the mounting/Delid (if it was done and not done correctly).

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Haver not read complete thread for now (headache) but you days it is 90C but the cooler is warm not hot, in that case its not transferring to it fully, you need to look at the mounting/Delid (if it was done and not done correctly).
Did that several times. No issue there. After 95 it starts to gets warm. I think the cooler is doing a good job dissipating the heat, but there is not much heat getting to the ihs. That is way delidding is a good ideea. so what about ur temps?

Permabanned
I do not have the same CPU as you (4790k @ 5GHZ ) but a delid on my CPU can net 10-30C drop depending how bad the TIM and glue were effecting the mating of the PCB/DIE/IHS to start with but it will help even the cores temps out unless temps unless its a weak/bad core to start with.

I have a Noctua D15S + extra front fan on mine.

Last edited:
Soldato
I do not have the same CPU as you (4790k @ 5GHZ ) but a delid on my CPU can net 10-30C drop depending how bad the TIM and glue were effecting the mating of the PCB/DIE/IHS to start with but it will help unless temps unless its a weak/bad core to start with.

I have a Noctua D15S + extra front fan on mine.

You're comparing very different animals.

The 9900K is a soldered CPU, if it is having heat dissipation problems between core and IHS there's a deeper problem that I'd solve with a replacement before even thinking about a de-lid.

You're using a CPU which had crap thermal gunk instead of solder.

Permabanned
I do not need a lesson on intel CPU's thanks.

I already said I did not fully read (gave my reason) so not sure if he had done a delid or not.

There is solder and solder, and the fact it can be delided with the same tools shows its more Intel snake oil (seen the original der8auer video removing it easily), in the past CPU's ware destroyed trying to remove soldered IHS's by various methods.

I would not dare try that on my older 2600K or 2700K because they used proper solder.

The problem is heat transference or lack of it if its hitting 90c but the coolers warm to touch instead of hot.

Soldato
I do not need a lesson on intel CPU's thanks.

I already said I did not fully read (gave my reason) so not sure if he had done a delid or not.

There is solder and solder, and the fact it can be delided with the same tools shows its more Intel snake oil (seen the original der8auer video removing it easily), in the past CPU's ware destroyed trying to remove soldered IHS's by various methods.

I would not dare try that on my older 2600K or 2700K because they used proper solder.

The problem is heat transference or lack of it if its hitting 90c but the coolers warm to touch instead of hot.

I agree with most of what you've said, I wasn't trying to 'tutor' you in CPU's or anything of the sort.

I must admit I'm a little shocked to find Intel are using poor solder on their desktop/consumer flagship, aka the 9900K. It's ridiculous and frankly beyond wrong, I've bought Intel exclusively for the past 10 years, but I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole right now.

Soldato
Same as you, insane temps and instant crashes the moment I try p95 or similar. My cpu was one and over a year old. I really need to find someone with experience who can delid it for me but don't know anyone local.

Associate
You don’t need old versions of p95. Latest version has bug fixes and you can disable AVX via checkboxes.

If you’re looking at an aio, I strongly suggest arctic freezer ii 360. It’s great performing, non asetek and cheap. The vrm fan actually helps out also.

De lidding a 9900k is useless unless you’re going to do direct die. Then it has merit.

I’ve owned a 9900k since launch and have it well tuned so not speaking hypotheticals.

Associate
OP
You don’t need old versions of p95. Latest version has bug fixes and you can disable AVX via checkboxes.

If you’re looking at an aio, I strongly suggest arctic freezer ii 360. It’s great performing, non asetek and cheap. The vrm fan actually helps out also.

De lidding a 9900k is useless unless you’re going to do direct die. Then it has merit.

I’ve owned a 9900k since launch and have it well tuned so not speaking hypotheticals.
What about kf? Does it perform better?

Back
Top Bottom