• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is it worth waiting for the next gen cards

Associate
I've noticed a big improvement especially with newer drivers. I only play a handful of games. CSGO - which will run on a potato. However Apex Legends - I don't see any stutter or slowdown as it's running higher FPS overall and doesn't see the large drops it used to. I'm also running everything on ULTRA now whereas before I had tweaked settings. I was talking with my mate yesterday and he said you should really turn shadows down and a few other things which will boost my FPS further and make no real difference to the game. He's playing on a 1080ti and I'm now on a 2070 super. So I asked him what FPS he was getting and his res and what settings he used to compare. I had everything on ULTRA and getting 120 fps @ 1440p. With tweaks I reckon I can get this up to 165fps that my screen is capable of.

The only issue I have and I believe this is with all cards. Every time you launch a game in full screen mode it resets the colour palette and forces the games one. I have calibrated my screen and use displaycal to load my calibrated profile. I need to run all games in borderless window otherwise they look terrible as I have tweaked the screen and need the calibrated profile to get all colours 100% accurate and this only works with borderless window.

I'm hoping one day with new GPU or new drivers we are able to calibrate at GPU level or insert the profile into the nvidia control panel and force it across all applications.

Games that haven't been made on DX12 but simply converted from DX11 run terrible in comparison but still faster than the older cards. Better off still using DX11. Word War Z being the obvious example that I play.

Asking if you should wait or not I would say no. The 10 series cards will plummet in price when the 30 series comes out. No warranty, 2 generations old, 20 series new will become EOL and cheaper forcing 10 series even further down. 20 series already runs cooler, more efficient can be automatically overclocked in MSI afterburner.

I don't plan on buying a 30 series card. This 2070 super will do me until I see FPS drop below 90 fps. That is my cut off point for an upgrade. Unless of course people are willing to pay £350-£400 for a 2070 super and I can get a 3070 for not much more or wait for the super cards and get one of them for not much more.

I used my new Asus Strix 2070S for a few hours last night and it's about 30c cooler under load!!! I applied +70 on core and +500 on memory and it's a good 10/15% faster than the 1080Ti it replaced. Very happy with the upgrade, can't believe it's only about 52c under load! Tried Ray tracing with BFV; meh, not that impressed. I'll look to see if I can get a good deal on another one and replace the other 1080Ti.

Caporegime
I used my new Asus Strix 2070S for a few hours last night and it's about 30c cooler under load!!! I applied +70 on core and +500 on memory and it's a good 10/15% faster than the 1080Ti it replaced. Very happy with the upgrade, can't believe it's only about 52c under load! Tried Ray tracing with BFV; meh, not that impressed. I'll look to see if I can get a good deal on another one and replace the other 1080Ti.

Yeah it's why I'm baffled by people who are watercooling second hand 1080ti's.

My card runs 20c cooler than last gen card so if yours is 30c cooler that's some achievement.

Back
Top Bottom