• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is it worth waiting for the next gen cards

Soldato
They don't add support for new features on older cards either :/

When Vulkan was released AMD cards going back to like 2009 could support it.

Associate
They don't add support for new features on older cards either :/

When Vulkan was released AMD cards going back to like 2009 could support it.

Vulkan 1.1, released in 2018, appears to be supported as far back as Kepler architecture with nvidia, which came out in 2012. It's not as far back as 2009, sure, but they do add features to older cards.

(in fact it looks like the oldest AMD cards supporting vulkan are the HD 7000 series, also released in 2012)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Oh boy, you're gonna get rabid AMD fans telling you one thing, and nvidia fans telling you another...

They appear from a few comparison sights to be pretty much equivalent cards. The RTX 2070 will give you some amount of ray-tracing ability that's not present in the 5700XT, and the 2070 will give you g-sync. The 5700XT will probably give you better freesync compatibility. Either one is going to be a really good boost compared to the current card you have, around 100% boost AFAICT.
They are both very much on par with each other performance wise. So the choice is yours.

Depends on the model in question. For a decent well reviewed model, with decent cooler you are talking a very similar price point.

And again as above the RTX card has some extra features. But it will be limited considering Raytracing performance in general.

I might as well stick with AMD then, if both cards are about equal. I haven't had a Nvidia card in 10+ years.

If you don't game too much consider buying a 1660 Super now for around £230. It will be way faster than your 290 while been a lot quieter and using less power.

Either keep it for a couple of years, or sell it when the next generation GPUs come out and upgrade to one of those.
If I am strapped for cash I might buy a lower spec card... But I think I will be buying it on the "never, never" (paypal credit), as I like to keep my hardware untill the bitter end;)

Caporegime
I tend to put this into the category of 'received wisdom' rather than actual fact.

He makes it up as he goes along.

He says nvidia don't care about last gen.

Yet he bought a last gen card when it was EOL and prices reduced to clear stock.

Why would anyone who buys old tech and brags about it in other threads then tell other people not to do the same in this thread? yet tell others to buy it in other threads over the newer cheaper and better cards.

Contradicts himself constantly.

Caporegime
Im not a big gamer no, and the games that I play( most demanding games I have are doom 2016 and dirt rally) run smooth enough, so yeah I can wait. But saying the RTX 2070 looks a nice price at the moment.

So you aren't a big gamer.

Your current card runs all the games you play fine.

Yet you want to buy a new gpu?

Do you buy a new washing machine every few years just for the fun of it too?

Soldato
If better ray tracing is important I would say yes. I am also wondering how "big Navi" will affect prices but, we have been here before with AMD with mediocre perf and price. It does look like it will have RT though.

Are Nvidia even looking like they are coming out with lower/mid products? All I see if info about high end cards.

Soldato
OP
So you aren't a big gamer.

Your current card runs all the games you play fine.

Yet you want to buy a new gpu?

Do you buy a new washing machine every few years just for the fun of it too?
I said in a post I would be keeping my r9 290 but its getting hot for some reason, I try to use my stuff until they are slow and chuggy. So Im guessing with not being a big gamer, a RTX 2070 or 5700xt should last me 5+ years until things get chuggy.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I said in a post I would be keeping my r9 290 but its getting hot for some reason, I try to use my stuff until they are slow and chuggy. So Im guessing with not being a big gamer, a RTX 2070 or 5700xt should last me 5+ years until things get chuggy.
Take it apart and repaste it. Nothing to lose if you are planning on getting a new card anyways. If it works then it buys you some more months for the next gen card to arrive.

Soldato
OP
Take it apart and repaste it. Nothing to lose if you are planning on getting a new card anyways. If it works then it buys you some more months for the next gen card to arrive.

I have done that loads of times, and the first few hrs after reapplying the paste, temps are fine and then they slowly increase again.

Soldato
The drivers can hardly get any worse :p

amd ages like fine wine = **** drivers took 2 years to fix the bugs.

nuts not normal for the gpu to get faster with newer drivers, the driver is supposed To as efficiently as possible assist the gpu in doing its job. If the 5700xt gets faster later it's simply because until that point the drivers were not doing their job.

could go a long way to explain why amd cards draw so much more power than nvidia. Not being able to get working drivers, so they have to use brute force to push the cards beyond their efficiency curves just to match nvidialower powered gpu with a proper driver

Caporegime

If it's getting hot adjust the fan curve, clean the heat sink and fans, under volt it.

No point replacing it until it dies. If it is playing all games fine.

Soldato
If I am strapped for cash I might buy a lower spec card... But I think I will be buying it on the "never, never" (paypal credit), as I like to keep my hardware untill the bitter end;)

At the resolution you play at and the fact that you are not a big gamer, a 1660 Super would probably last you 5 years no problem. I wouldn't buy any GPU on credit. Start saving now and buy one when you have the money.

Soldato
OP
I have just ordered the 5700xt..... https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-35p-ms.html

At the resolution you play at and the fact that you are not a big gamer, a 1660 Super would probably last you 5 years no problem. I wouldn't buy any GPU on credit. Start saving now and buy one when you have the money.

If it wasn't for the paypal credit, I wouldn't of been able to afforded to upgrade to the i7 8086k from my trusty i5 2500k, and the only reason for that upgrade was because the motherboard started having problems.

There's a big difference between the 1660 super and the 5700xt. Wonder how much of a gap it is between the r9 290 and the 5700xt:D
uuUimII.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Why?
If I know Nvidia (...and I think I do). The 30 cards will be a small improvement, and a significant price hike. Unless pushed by a competitor Nvidia always give the absolute minimum and charge the absolute maximum.
Forgetting the price (because I agree the price increases are horrible) I think past upgrades from the 500 series cards and upwards have been ok.

With the x70 variants of cards of the few generation as good as or besting the x80ti of the previous gen. Usually with more memory as well.

It is only this current gen where that has not really happened with memory staying the same and raw performance not much of a jump, but we got tensor and RT cores instead...
Honestly (price aside again) if NV had launched the RTX cards with the super versions we have today I think that would have been an ok jump as well. (RTX 2070 super gives my 1080ti a good run just lacking in some memory but it also has rtx and tensor cores.

It's not as bad as the "jump," from the 8800GT to the 9800GT at least and up until recently AMD mid range cards have pretty much been the same card year in year out as well, more so than nvidia

Back
Top Bottom