Caroline Flack RIP

Soldato
I will freely admit to having very little sympathy for those who use violence or coercion towards their partners, irrespective of gender when it catches up with them. This extends to those who don't want to face up to the consequences of their actions.

I will also acknowledge that it may be too close to home and I may be swinging too far as a result.

The simple question I ask, if Caroline flack had been the victim, and her partner the abuser (she confessed remember, although subsequently pleaded not guilty) who committed suicide, would people still be demanding a change in the law.

As said above, my own position is that if anyone gets to the point in their life where all they can think to do is kill themselves then I feel sympathy. Whether it's a soft escape, whatever they've done, anyone at that stage deserves sympathy. That does not diminish my dislike for whatever they're alleged to have done, but I don't think they're exclusive emotions.

As to whether a change in the law is required? I don't think this issue in particular should lead to a change in the law, but online bullying in general is clearly a massive problem, as is reality TV - three people associated with Love Island have killed themselves now. The issue needs to be looked at in the round and a change in the law considered albeit I don't know what that would consist of.

Caporegime
I honestly think society is in a downwards spiral because of social media and reality TV. Facebook is a cesspool of people trying to sell their lives in order to keep up with the Jones' and to show people they're successful, popular, healthy and fit - being seen as these things are more important than simply being happy. Twitter? A platform of hate because giving people a platform now appears to people that they have permission to share their vitriol. At the same time, you have people becoming more and more sensitive because of how liberal the world is becoming where you can no longer have an opinion without it upsetting someone/some group.
I'm not sure if it's a cause or a symptom.

We're just following the age-old trend of civilisations rising, peaking, then declining.

There's really no reason to think 21st century western civilisation won't also follow this trend, and eventually eat itself.

Caporegime
Don't even need that to consider restrictions to bullying by the press, that's a bit vague and any legislation would be a mess.

Really the only solution that resolves the media's proclivities to print any old crap without consideration is the fact that they have no reason not to, is to steal the front page from them when they do something immoral.

You only need one regulation to put the fear into them, that is a full front page apology that has to stay for a solid week, whenever they misinform the public in articles, it'll force the editors to actually consider what they're allowing in their papers. Freedom of the press should not be freedom from consequence.

Additionally, to make it so they can't find a loophole (as well as agitate readers), there should be a space in the middle of every further page with the same message and a signature from the editor. I feel this would resolve a lot of problems with the press, misinforming or lying to the public needs to have a tangible cost to their business, in such a manner that they avoid it completely of their own accord.

Last edited:
Associate
Notice her boyfriend is piping up now he's going to be some sort of crusader against the media sounds like he shouldn't have grassed her up in the first place then also he must be weak because if someone smashed a lamp over my head it would be me going to court and not them.

Caporegime
Notice her boyfriend is piping up now he's going to be some sort of crusader against the media sounds like he shouldn't have grassed her up in the first place then also he must be weak because if someone smashed a lamp over my head it would be me going to court and not them.

Bit hard to not grass someone up that assaults while you're sleeping, just because he didn't want to press charges doesn't mean he shouldn't have alerted the police.

Unless of course you find loving someone as being weak, which i suppose you might.

Soldato
You evidently don't understand how criminal law works

Soldato
I honestly think society is in a downwards spiral because of social media and reality TV. Facebook is a cesspool of people trying to sell their lives in order to keep up with the Jones' and to show people they're successful, popular, healthy and fit - being seen as these things are more important than simply being happy. Twitter? A platform of hate because giving people a platform now appears to people that they have permission to share their vitriol. At the same time, you have people becoming more and more sensitive because of how liberal the world is becoming where you can no longer have an opinion without it upsetting someone/some group.

I honestly have no idea how Facebook is still a thing, you'd think that fad would have passed by now. Twitter is such a hateful cesspit, the sooner is crumbles the better the world will be. As a result of these two platforms, i believe like you that society has become so liberal and soft that people simply cannot cope with the harsh realities of life anymore, when they step out of university it's not the cuddly safe-space unicorn rainbow world that they've gotten used to in uni/online

Man of Honour

But you aren't thinking about this from the postion if being in love with the same person who is mistreating you. I hope you never have to.

Soldato
I honestly have no idea how Facebook is still a thing, you'd think that fad would have passed by now. Twitter is such a hateful cesspit, the sooner is crumbles the better the world will be. As a result of these two platforms,

As long as people out there need attention and validation then Facebook or Twitter will never go away.

Attention is currency.

Caporegime
Can’t help but laugh at the papers on deflection mode trying to blame love island. The media in this country is disgusting and should have been reigned in a long time ago.

I can;t believe all the Love Island fans now slated the Sun and saying it needs to be boycotted. They needed to be boycotted after Hillsborough

Back
Top Bottom